Is $20,000 enough medical coverage?

estrawn

I'm looking at 2 different annual trip insurance policies.

One is an Allianz policy that includes $20,000 emergency medical coverage along with trip cancellation and trip interruption coverages.

The other is a GeoBlue policy that includes $100,000 medical coverage but no trip cancellation or interruption coverage

The costs of both policies are within a few dollars of each other.

Does anyone out there have experience with the cost of getting sick or injured on a cruise?  Does it become instantly expensive or would $20,000 probably be sufficient in most cases?

I’m not sure what you mean by instantly expensive. Just know that travel insurance does not pay instantly. Be prepared to pay the bill then file for reimbursement.

Most people consider $20,000 on the low side for coverage. It may depend on how your primary insurance pays when you travel. Determine that before you decide if it is enough for you.

In reality, in my opinion, is that the possibility of something happening is less than 1%.

However, the question I ask myself, is $20K going to protect me from financial bankruptcy or does $100K better protect me. 

I forego the cancellation coverage because that money is gone. I've already determined I can afford this trip. I've already paid for the trip. Now, I may have some splainin to do as to why I just lost $10K to my wife, but even losing that money, we are not financially devastated. As time goes by, I might even be ahead of the game. 

I break insurance down to risk management. Some very blessed people can afford to self-insure and assume all the risk. Some of us crunch the numbers and decide we can assume some of the risk but must share the risk in other areas. Others decide they are better off sharing the risk on everything.

For me, $20K is too low, so I decided to choose a higher amount. 

I've had 1 medical situation and it was only $7K. Even then, it was denied because I didn't follow the directions provided in the Terms and Conditions even though I knew the directions were in there. However, my mental state at the time was not about Terms and Conditions. It was about the current medical situation. (This policy was included in the AI and was a policy from a company in Spain)

If your Allianz policy is secondary and your own insurance will cover you, then Allianz would only be paying your deductibles and co-pays so $20,000 could be OK. If you don't have insurance that will cover you out of the country, for example if you have Medicare, then $20,000 is too low. 

On 2/19/2023 at 11:21 AM, estrawn said:

I'm looking at 2 different annual trip insurance policies.

One is an Allianz policy that includes $20,000 emergency medical coverage along with trip cancellation and trip interruption coverages.

The other is a GeoBlue policy that includes $100,000 medical coverage but no trip cancellation or interruption coverage

The costs of both policies are within a few dollars of each other.

Does anyone out there have experience with the cost of getting sick or injured on a cruise?  Does it become instantly expensive or would $20,000 probably be sufficient in most cases?

Hi estrawn,

The answer depends on these items: your ages, your maximum out of pocket deductibles and co-pays for your health insurance.

I've never seen a medical claim for more than $74,000 outside the USA.

Steve Dasseos