Suggestions for Koper

We have a port stop in Koper. I’ve started research and not finding a lot. There are a couple private tour companies I found on TA, but I don’t want to drive for 2+ hours each way. We often time are content in exploring an old town in a port, but this one isn’t drawing me in much.  Hopefully I am missing something, which is entirely possible! Any suggestions? Thank you

For my upcoming May cruise, my research didn't lead me to many satisfying options for doing things on my own for Koper.  I ended up just going with an all-day ship excursion -- "Best of Slovenia".  As you note, it has a lot of driving involved and I'd also rather not do that, but I didn't see much of an alternative given what my interests are.  I just decided to use the ship excursion for simplicity instead of arranging it on my own.  I'm mostly doing my own thing in other ports, so this one is an outlier.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Well, I guess I am not the only one. In looking at this port I thought  I must be missing something or the ship lines going in there would find a different option. We generally do our own things as well. Ship excursions are not generally our go-to. Might check out the town and then enjoy an emptier beautiful ship! 
Thank you for coming back to me. 

MeHeartCruising - I have done further research. It seems that there is another nearby town that you can easily take a bus or taxi to called Piran. It looks to be a pretty interesting old city to explore - 25 min drive from Koper. Approx 25eu for taxi, less for bus but longer. It might be worth a look, and could fill out a day to just explore both towns. Thought I would lyk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

MeHeartCruising - I have done further research. It seems that there is another nearby town that you can easily take a bus or taxi to called Piran. It looks to be a pretty interesting old city to explore - 25 min drive from Koper. Approx 25eu for taxi, less for bus but longer. It might be worth a look, and could fill out a day to just explore both towns. Thought I would lyk. 

Thanks for this.  I had ran across Piran in my early research but had forgotten it.  I’m going to study this a bit more.  It sounds like a better day than what I currently have planned.  Thanks again. 

We have a port stop in Koper. I’ve started research and not finding a lot.

We have visited twice and agree that unless wanting a beach day, there is very little in the town itself.

The first time we took a shorex to super pretty Lake Bled and Ljubljana which I would highly recommend.  There should be online info and images of both to tempt you should one be offered..

The second time, and knowing there was little of interest in Koper itself, we took the local bus to PIRAN. (again info and images online).  That was very easy to do and the route passes through a couple of little seaside towns. Piran is "small but perfectly formed".(again online images and info)  On return we wandered a little in Koper, maybe took us under an hour to see the sights, although  there was a spectacular sunset that evening, one of the best we ever saw.

If you go on to the Other Med Ports Forum, but not to any particular thread, under your username, enter Koper and Piran in turn and hit the little spy glass to bring up all previous threads and posts about both places ready for you to read.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for this further information. I did see a Lake Bled excursion - both private on TA and ship. It looks beautiful. My hesitation is that it stated 2.5 hrs each way. 
 I did find Piran as I mentioned. It looks like a good and easy way to spend part of a day. Probably taxi but you may have thoughts on that. 
This is our last day on ship, so having time to relax on board part of the day and get packing organized wouldn’t be all bad either. 
I will hit the search function on Piran. Didn’t find much on Koper. Thanks for the suggestion! 

I think I have decided to cancel my currently booked "Best of Slovenia" excursion and just plan on winging it with a planned trip to Piran + walking round Kotor.  I'll probably plan on using the bus, but keep a taxi in mind as Plan B.

I found what appears to be the bus company website and was able to look at the timing of the bus and various stop, some of which I've found on Google Maps.  I also see that there appears to be a Tourist Info booth set up at the cruise port on days ships are in port.  I think with their help, I can validate the bus details and/or decide to get a taxi.  

If you're interested in the bus company site, it is https://arriva.si/en/

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a bus route map anywhere, which seems weird.  But such is life.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a bus route map anywhere,

We had read somewhat mixed reviews about a sort of HOHO bus which went from near the dock to Piran , but felt (given reviews at that time) that it could be too risky so we went by public bus instead.  you would need to check if it still runs, also if reviews have improved.

The local Touris Iinfo office people were very helpful and e-mailed a timetable and a map showing the route to the bus stop from the port. It was actually quite easy to find.  Go up to the road from the dock (ramp or elevator).  Do not cross into the old town, but head right following the road which skirts around the old town  Afterr a few minutes it sort of bends to the left, and around that bend, by a roundabout on the right side you will see several bus stops and stances.(It may be the terminus/bus station) Look for the one which is for Piran..

There is (or was then) really only one bus stop in Piran, on the main road a couple of minutes walk from where the road into Piran itself becomes pedestrian only.  We boarded for the return journey at the same stop.  At that time there was a little building (resembling a small garden shed!) where timetables were posted on the window.  We paid the driver on the bus, and back in Koper got off at the same stop where we had boarded..Return to the dock  can be  either through the old town (across from the stop) or backtracking the route taken from the dock..

I would contact the local Koper Tourist office to check the bus stop location in Koper in case there have been changes since our visit, also for the current timetable. Give them your date of arrival as there are often different winter and summer timetables.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Do you recall how long it took via bus, and whether there were a good number of stops along the way? Did you enjoy Piran? 

It was under an hour but more than 30 minutes.  That is all we remember.

Piran is teeny tiny but very picturesque.  We took many photos. Unless having a long lunch, you will be done in 2 or 3 hours.  There should be many images and descriptions online if you search.

As for the number of stops, why does that matter?  You will start and end each journey at the first and last stops in both Koper and Piran, so the number of stops between them surely isn't important unless you plan on getting off somewhere along the route? We looked out the windows as part of the route is alongside the sea and passes through a couple of seaside towns.

A website such as moovit or looking at a timetable might answer your question, or contact the bus company or  the Tourist Info Office.

It would be perfect for a last day as you would enjoy a pretty town and be able to pack and relax without any need to hurry.

Thank you edinburgher. I sure wasn’t clear on why I asked about stops on the bus. I was thinking in my mind, ‘wonder if there’s anyplace we would want to jump off the bus to explore, then hop back on’, VS a direct route via taxi. I just didn’t transfer that from my mind to writing!   I appreciate your further information. I do believe this is what we will plan for Koper. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Thanks 1

appreciate your further information. I do believe this is what we will plan for Koper. 

You could certainly get off the bus wherever you choose to get off, and there were a couple of seaside towns along the route, but how quickly you could "hop back on" would be dependent on the frequency of the buses, unless you did a bus/taxi combo of course..

And you mentioned you will be packing that day too.

Perhaps spending time in Piran and an additional hour or a bit more in Koper itself on return, might be enough to fill your time and still leave you enough time to get organised and relax a little onboard.

If nothing has changed since the last of our two visits, to reach Koper Old Town, you need only exit the ship, go up to street level using the ramp or the elevator, cross the road and you are there.  Could also go there once you exit the bus.  Enter any of the streets leading into it and wander in the general direction of left to reach the port. (you would have walked in the right direction from the dock to the bus stop earlier),  Think of it a a circle. Old Town inside, road outside. Small so difficult to get lost.

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd post on this thread as well, just for additional input and ideas. I'm going to be on a ship making my first call at Koper this fall. I've been going back and forth re: whether to go to Lake Bled or Ljubljana, but I think I've finally settled on the latter after some research. For two main reasons: one, it is the setting of Emona, an ancient Roman town and there are some ruins throughout the city that can be visited. Second, it is one of the settings in a book I loved (have read it twice), "The Historian" by Kostova. Granted, there are many intriguing settings in this book, but I loved her descriptions of "Emona" (she refers to it by the Roman name) in the book. 

For a second visit I'd probably try to get to Lake Bled. 

We have a fairly long day in port (arriving at 8:00 am and not departing until 10:30 pm!), so the drive doesn't seem such an obstacle -- plus I actually enjoy watching the scenery on long drives. In doing research, has anyone come across references to a good private guide, one willing to personalize an itinerary for the day?

• Like 1

Just looked at Ljubljana. Looks like a very cool place. Lake Bled looks beautiful as well, but long winding bus rides don’t work well for my stomach. Only one of the reasons we DIY or  private. I haven’t read of any privates here,  but maybe the forum on TA might be of help? If I do come up with any I will report back. You are always so helpful to others, it would be nice to return! 

• Thanks 1

Just looked at Ljubljana.Looks like a very cool place

It is one of the smallest capital cities in Europe, and I think also one of the prettiest. The central area is very compact with most of the main sights in close proximity to each other and there are attractive riverside walks.It is also flat for easd walking, unless you choose to walk up to the castle which is also central. (There is also a funicular) And many restaurants, cafes etc to choose from.  On arrival in the city, we arranged with the shorex guide that we would do our own walking tour and meet with the group at the meeting point when it was time to leave for the short drive to Lake Bled as we really prefer to follow our own agenda and we had taken city info with us.  It is a really delightful city to visit.

And Lake Bled is  close to Llublijana so less than an  hour driving between the two.  As we had opted for the city and lake combo rather than more time in one or the other, (three shorex had been offered) we had only a short time at Lake Bled so our time there was mostly a scenic drive alongside the lake and  free time at the  Bled Castle complex from which there were stunning views.

It was a lovely shorex.

Edited by edinburgher

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Just looked at Ljubljana.Looks like a very cool place

It is one of the smallest capital cities in Europe, and I think also one of the prettiest. The central area is very compact with most of the main sights in close proximity to each other and there are attractive riverside walks.It is also flat for easd walking, unless you choose to walk up to the castle which is also central. (There is also a funicular) And many restaurants, cafes etc to choose from.  On arrival in the city, we arranged with the shorex guide that we would do our own walking tour and meet with the group at the meeting point when it was time to leave for the short drive to Lake Bled as we really prefer to follow our own agenda and we had taken city info with us.  It is a really delightful city to visit.

And Lake Bled is  close to Llublijana so less than an  hour driving between the two.  As we had opted for the city and lake combo rather than more time in one or the other, (three shorex had been offered) we had only a short time at Lake Bled so our time there was mostly a scenic drive alongside the lake and  free time at the  Bled Castle complex from which there were stunning views.

It was a lovely shorex.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If I cannot locate a well-recommended guide, I may try to do what you did and use the ship tour mainly for transportation. Good to hear the main part of Ljubljana is compact. 

I debated back and forth about doing both the city and Lake Bled (I see both excursions and private tours that offer both) but decided I wouldn't be satisfied with two glimpses rather than one good bite. If/when I go to Lake Bled, I'd want to do the boat ride to the island and have time to explore....

I wouldn't be satisfied with two glimpses

We had a lot more than" a glimpse" of the city,  possibly a couple of hours,also had plenty time at Bled Castle, but would have enjoyed much more time around the lake to take a boat trip and to enjoy the setting. Should we ever return, would probably opt for a longer excursion to only Lake Bled, but the city is very appealing, easy to navigate and really easy to see the main sights so we were very happy that we visited.

And watch for dragons(!) The symbol of the city, they can be found here, there and everwhere.  The largest are probably the ones at Dragon Bridge. but they can be seen all around the centre, and dragon souvenirs come in a wide variety.

Perhaps both yourself and VineyardView  could give  updates on this thread once you return, both of Piran (including transport experience) and also of Llublijana, as there isn't currently much info, and I think others searching would appreciate the views of folks other than myself!

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

"Glimpse" is sort of my short-hand way of thinking about anything less than a day.

Realistically, even a couple of hours wouldn't be enough time for me to track down the Roman sites AND see some other things, visit the castle, etc. And I've read that in the tours that combine both, you rarely have time for the boat-ride to the island in Lake Bled.

It's fine for me though...in non-COVID times I usually take a Med cruise annually, so sooner or later I'd hope to end up in Koper again. 😊 The itinerary for this cruise (Azamara) is very nice as it goes to some unusual places including Rovinj, Gythion, Cesme and Koper -- all new stops for me.

The novel I mentioned earlier by Kostova plays into the "dragons" thing as it is all about discovering that Dracula not only exists but is alive and well. Have you read the book by any chance?  It has long sections set in Istanbul as well as in parts of Bulgaria too.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

This is such great information. Thank you again. You have me rethinking my plans. Time to do a little more research now that I know it’s not winding roads and a worthwhile lovely city. The lake sounds and looks beautiful. I am leaning, if I change directions, in just one and not both on the same day. 

We are trying Seabourn for the first time because of the itinerary with new ports. Azamara also has an itinerary, mostly focused on Italy next year, that includes a couple you are naming Cruisemom42 that I have on my radar. We haven’t sailed on Azamara. 

Will absolutely come back here to report what we end up doing. Good suggestion edinburgher. I am finding scarce information on these small ports we are visiting this year. It would be helpful to have more. 

Will absolutely come back here to report what we end up doing. I am finding scarce information on these small ports we are visiting this year. It would be helpful to have more. 

Absolutely agree. Anything at all you could add would be a bonus.

cruisemom42, the same request to you, but if you would also  think about adding something to the ROVINJ thread  (should you decide to stay there), or  give your opinion on the possibility of visiting Pula( if that is where you end up) from Rovinj , that too would be a bonus for others.

Have you read the book by any chance? Sorry, no, have not read it, but did read much about the dragon connection with the city when researching it.

We too prefer smaller shiops as they visit less frequented ports which the bigger ones cannot use.  We only did 4 with Azamara, back in the day when it was the "original" Azamara, and before pricing took a rather dramatic upturn which we felt was too much for us.  We loved all the R8's, sailed most of them with different lines.  Our first introduction to that size were with the original Swan Hellenic, these days no longer (although the name was bought in the last year or two) and we sought these ships with whichever line had them.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1