San Pedro to LAX

JoRoy218

Hey gang, looking for feedback. We’re doing a cruise out of SanPedro, am looking at various flights. There is a good flight out of LAX but leaves at 1015. Wondering if it’s too risky to reserve that? Ship itinerary says they arrive at 0615.  We’d like to walk off ship ourselves w luggage and grab a cab or Uber. It’s Saturday so fortunately no rush hour traffic. 

Thoughts? Thanks! 

You may arrive at 6:15 but you will not be walking off at that time. They have to get cleared by the port and you can never tell what time you can get off. Also the traffic to LAX can be brutal. Anything before at least 11:30 is chancy. 

In my opinion, IF...............

1.  Your ship arrives to San Pedro on time

2.  Your ship clears US Customs

3.  You "walk off" the ship on your own and are among the first to disembark

4.  You and your party easily clear Customs

5.  You get a Cab immediately and go to LAX

6.  You and your party have TSA pre-pass and do not have to wait for LAX security 

Even if all this was in your favor, I don't think you would make a 10:15am flight which boards at 9:45am

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

You may arrive at 6:15 but you will not be walking off at that time. They have to get cleared by the port and you can never tell what time you can get off. Also the traffic to LAX can be brutal. Anything before at least 11:30 is chancy. 

Yes, I realize we can’t get off shortly after docking, been on quite a few cruises just not out of San Pedro. 
Okay you guys have convinced me…really appreciate your thoughts. Not gonna do it! 😎

Edited by JoRoy218
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

Hey gang, looking for feedback. We’re doing a cruise out of SanPedro, am looking at various flights. There is a good flight out of LAX but leaves at 1015. Wondering if it’s too risky to reserve that? Ship itinerary says they arrive at 0615.  We’d like to walk off ship ourselves w luggage and grab a cab or Uber. It’s Saturday so fortunately no rush hour traffic. 

Thoughts? Thanks! 

We did this cruise in October, and also got back on a Saturday.  It was a long way from the ship to the airport, and we had a cab driver who was very aggressive.  Maybe too much!  🤣  Anyhow, I'm all for pushing the envelope when it comes to great flights, but I would have to pass on this one.  We were one of the first off the ship (not self assist), and I think we got to the airport around 9:00-ish for an 11:00-ish flight.  We also have TSA-Pre, so that's another deciding factor for you. 

You made the right decision, but sorry you lost that flight.  Did you check flights out of Long Beach?  Much closer to the port. 

Edited by Mike&Nancy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike&Nancy said:

We did this cruise in October, and also got back on a Saturday.  It was a long way from the ship to the airport, and we had a cab driver who was very aggressive.  Maybe too much!  🤣  Anyhow, I'm all for pushing the envelope when it comes to great flights, but I would have to pass on this one.  We were one of the first off the ship (not self assist), and I think we got to the airport around 9:00-ish for an 11:00-ish flight.  We also have TSA-Pre, so that's another deciding factor for you. 

You made the right decision, but sorry you lost that flight.  Did you check flights out of Long Beach?  Much closer to the port. 

Thanks for your input. I did check Long Beach, flights with very long layover to East Coast. Would be total 13 hrs door to door. And yes, we’ve had TSA Pre-check for about 5 yrs now, noticed in some airports, line longer than regular line. 🙄

• Like 1

• We live in Long Beach and making that LAX flight would take some real finger crossing. The maps map say you can make it, but on any given day ahd 405 can be a race way or a parking lot. Long Beach is less riscky pick but fewer flight options depending on your destination. We live about 5 minutes from that airport and when we sail and walk off at about 8:30 we can be home in about an hour. Enjoy your cruise. 

I remember my cruise ship docking at 1pm instead of 7am at San Pedro.  By the time I cleared customs..., it was like 2:30pm.  there was only a handful of taxi at the cruise terminal to meet the Royal Princess passengers.  Total chaos!  So glad I had a late evening flight as a contingency. When news ship arrival was going to be late, the flights prices had gone up like 10 times for my flight.

5 hours ago, jcc1025 said:
  • We live in Long Beach and making that LAX flight would take some real finger crossing. The maps map say you can make it, but on any given day ahd 405 can be a race way or a parking lot. Long Beach is less riscky pick but fewer flight options depending on your destination. We live about 5 minutes from that airport and when we sail and walk off at about 8:30 we can be home in about an hour. Enjoy your cruise. 

I’m jealous! 😉

Have read numerous recommendations to attempt using Long Beach airport.  Very limited flight choices coming from Atlanta and only flights four days/week. Oh well, we’re flying in a day earlier and have an early afternoon flight out post-cruise. Have had two other CA Coastals cancelled in the last 18 months, maybe this will be the lucky one! Thanks for your suggestions! 

17 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

I’m jealous! 😉

Have read numerous recommendations to attempt using Long Beach airport.  Very limited flight choices coming from Atlanta and only flights four days/week. Oh well, we’re flying in a day earlier and have an early afternoon flight out post-cruise. Have had two other CA Coastals cancelled in the last 18 months, maybe this will be the lucky one! Thanks for your suggestions! 

Yeah, Long Beach Airport is really nice but unless your flying Southwest its very limited. Coming in a day ahead of time no matter what airport you use will be fine. We always fly in a day early, make sure the luggage make its, have a nice dinner somewhere and get use to the time zone. Lots of good opeions in the Long Beach area. We were so happy when RCCL came back to the west coast so we didn't have to always go to Galveston or FL.. Have fun and happy sailing.