NCL Transfer from Vancouver to Seattle or maybe be able to stay on ship?

karatemom2

Hoping some here might be able to offer some information since we can't seem to get an answer from NCL.

My husband, my son and his friend are traveling on the NCL Bliss that goes from LA to Vancouver on April 9. It overnights in Vancouver from 4/13 to 4/14 and then departs for Seattle where it starts its 7 day Alaska roundtrips on Sat April 15. My husband and crew are booked on that voyage as well - so technically a B2B, but they have this strange one day break between cruises.

At first, the NCL rep told him that they would likely be allowed to stay on the ship since they were on the subsequent cruise and thus considered B2B, but she wasn't sure. We still can't get a firm answer - yes or no.

So, they have a hotel in Seattle booked for the night before, just in case, but now are trying to establish the best way to get from Vancouver to Seattle if they can't stay on the ship.

There is an Amtrak train that departs at 6:35 am that they would like to take if possible - the ship is overnighting in Vancouver so does anyone know if they can walk off the ship in early morning? They are in the port at the dock all night and people should be able to get on and off the ship anytime I would think? 

Also, if available they would consider booking a transfer through NCL. Has anyone transferred from Vancouver to Seattle using an NCL transfer?

It would be great if we could get these answers from customer service at NCL, but unfortunately we can't seem to find anyone who can give us any solid information.

They can not stay on the ship. That would be a PVSA violation. And the crew has other plans for that afternoon and evening which involves not catering to passengers. It is not a B2B cruise. 

They can fly, catch a bus, catch a train between Vancouver and Seattle. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

@BirdTravels yes, that is what we assumed when we booked, but when has called to ask about transfers, the customer service person has indicated otherwise. But I think they just see that the cruises are technically B2B and are making incorrect assumptions. I don't think they really know what they are talking about.

But that still leads to my other questions about getting off the ship very early on disembarkation day and the possibility of an NCL transfer to Seattle.

Their preference would be to catch the 6:35 a.m. train as the next one isn't until later that evening and gets to Seattle quite late.

There are coaches that run from Canada Place to Seatac (and the piers) on most days of the week - QuickShuttle. Their point-to-point convenience comes at a price though - for three people, I'd first look into a rental car... divided by three the cost per person is likely to be cheaper than buses or trains as well as much more flexible in timing. Failing that, I'd be looking at the Amtrak option as with an overnight in port, any customs/immigration would have happened on arrival. Leaving the pier by cab at 5an is a good idea - CBP preclearance happens in Vancouver, so you're supposed to be a full hour early for that and bag check.

The morning train overnights in Vancouver, so there's zero risk of it not running or even leaving late for the normal Amtrak reasons of issues with connecting services, crew having had too long a day and needing rest time etc. That train basically leaves on-time all the time - and because of the preclearance, it's way less hassle at the border than any bus or even driving a car. Saver tickets seem to have returned as well - and those are the same price as pre-Covid, $34 to Seattle which is a superb bargain. If train sounds good to the, get the tickets bought ASAP as the Savers (indeed, the entire train sometimes) sells out consistently in cruise season!

If the car plan seems better, I'd book a refundable rate right now, then check frequently in case prices drop. There may be one-way drop fees at the moment, but depending how many people want to drive one-way north vs south fleets may end up balancing themselves reasonably - since Covid it's trickier to make predicitions, but in TheBeforeTimes I could always find a one way rental car for less than $100, all fees included, if not picky about size - even three guys with suitcases should be able to fit in a compact with a suitcase on the back seat if there's no bargain bigger cars!

• Like 1

I presume that the PVSA violation is that you would be embarking in Los Angeles and disembarking in Seattle with no foreign port in between, Canada not being classified as a foreign country in the PVSA.

To get the 6.35am train I think you have to be at the station well before (Amtrac site says 1 hour) that as you will have to go through customs.    Also while it isn't a great distance you have to arrange to get from Canada Place to Pacific Central.

A better bet would be 

image.png.c5bebe765474cefe10b18352aadfb038.png

Buses that also leave from Pacific Central.

You can get off the ship the first day and not return. On our Pacific Coastal on Bliss in 2019, there were many people onboard that lived in Vancouver. They got off as soon as we arrived. The ship was very quiet on the overnight. We were out quite late and off to the airport the 2nd morning. 

Thanks for all helpful replies! I think we will go ahead and take a chance and purchase the train tickets and presume that they will be able to leave the ship plenty early in the morning given the overnight stay. 

Edited by karatemom2

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

I presume that the PVSA violation is that you would be embarking in Los Angeles and disembarking in Seattle with no foreign port in between, Canada not being classified as a foreign country in the PVSA.

To get the 6.35am train I think you have to be at the station well before (Amtrac site says 1 hour) that as you will have to go through customs.    Also while it isn't a great distance you have to arrange to get from Canada Place to Pacific Central.

A better bet would be 

image.png.c5bebe765474cefe10b18352aadfb038.png

Buses that also leave from Pacific Central.

No, Canada is a foreign country for PVSA purposes just as it is a foreign country for all other purposes. To cruise from Los Angeles to Seattle would require not just a foreign port call, but specifically a distant foreign port call and a Canadian port doesn't qualify as a distant foreign port.