Which NY airport?

phoenix1181

I'm cruising from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in October and have no idea which airport I should be flying into.  I'll be flying from Boston on departure day unless there are potential weather issues.

Is it easier to get to the port from JFK, LGA or Newark?  Cost is, of course, a concern but I'm more interested in doing this as easily as possible.  I'm a solo traveler and not the least bit familiar with any of the airports or the port. 

Bottom line... I'm completely clueless and would appreciate any and all information provided!

TIA......d

24 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

I'm cruising from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in October and have no idea which airport I should be flying into.  I'll be flying from Boston on departure day unless there are potential weather issues.

Is it easier to get to the port from JFK, LGA or Newark?  Cost is, of course, a concern but I'm more interested in doing this as easily as possible.  I'm a solo traveler and not the least bit familiar with any of the airports or the port. 

Bottom line... I'm completely clueless and would appreciate any and all information provided!

TIA......d

LGA is probably closest, then JFK. 

From Boston, I would suggest you consider Amtrak, cheaper, gets you to within a couple of miles of cruise terminal, less subject to weather delays — and very little more time - considering check in tim at airport and getting to/from airport - plus ground transportation much cheaper.

Edited by navybankerteacher

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

LGA is probably closest, then JFK. 

From Boston, I would suggest you consider Amtrak, cheaper, gets you to within a couple of miles of cruise terminal, less subject to weather delays — and very little more time - considering check in tim at airport and getting to/from airport - plus ground transportation much cheaper.

Thank for the information.  I considered Amtrak but I have mobility issues and schlepping luggage while walking with a cane can be difficult so I opt for convenience above all else.

Any idea how long a taxi or Uber takes on a Monday morning?  Flight would be arriving about 9:30 am.

4 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

Thank for the information.  I considered Amtrak but I have mobility issues and schlepping luggage while walking with a cane can be difficult so I opt for convenience above all else.

Amtrak has Red Cap service in Boston and New York that will handle your luggage for you. If mobility issues are the concern, the train very well could have a lot less walking than going through an airport and will take you directly to Manhattan (vs having to get an Uber/taxi from an airport). 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Amtrak has Red Cap service in Boston and New York that will handle your luggage for you. If mobility issues are the concern, the train very well could have a lot less walking than going through an airport and will take you directly to Manhattan (vs having to get an Uber/taxi from an airport). 

Thank you!

I obviously need to do more research on Amtrak.  I'll check it out.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

It will take about 45 minutes to get to the MCT from LaGuardia. I’ve drive, flown and taken amtrak and train is definitely my choice. My daughter goes to school in Boston and always takes the train.

Thank you so much for this information!  I've never been on a train other than public transportation to get to and from work so I have lots of questions.

Acela or Northeast Regional?

If Acela, business or first class?

How comfortable is the seating? 

Are the seats set up like airlines?

Assigned seating?

I have verigo with issues flying & cruising. Will I need meds traveling by train? 

Is bringing luggage a hassle?

Actual travel time is longer but can I assume from home to arrival it's probably about the same? (I'm about 15 minutes from airport & So. Station)

Any idea how long it will take from the station to the port?

I’ve just booked the times I want and price, I’ve heard great things about Acela, a little faster, but even the regular trains are much more comfortable than airplanes, much roomier seats, and the bathrooms are definitely bigger. You will find there are plenty of trains to and from NYC and Boston. You don’t need to get there 2 hours early. I’ve never used a red cap but I’ve seen them recommended many times for luggage. A taxi or Uber should take about 10 minutes from Penn station to the cruise terminal (a cost savings over the trip from LaGuardia). Prices are lower the earlier you book. I think even with non refundable fares you can still get a credit.

19 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve just booked the times I want and price, I’ve heard great things about Acela, a little faster, but even the regular trains are much more comfortable than airplanes, much roomier seats, and the bathrooms are definitely bigger. You will find there are plenty of trains to and from NYC and Boston. You don’t need to get there 2 hours early. I’ve never used a red cap but I’ve seen them recommended many times for luggage. A taxi or Uber should take about 10 minutes from Penn station to the cruise terminal (a cost savings over the trip from LaGuardia). Prices are lower the earlier you book. I think even with non refundable fares you can still get a credit.

I've just spent quite a bit of time on the Amtrak site and I've decided to give it a try.  I hate the hassle at the airport and this does seem like a really good option.  Less walking, luggage easily taken care of, comfortable seating, bigger bathroom, lower cost & time to the port and total time from home to port will be (I think) comparable or less

than flying.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my questions.  It's the train for me!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

I've just spent quite a bit of time on the Amtrak site and I've decided to give it a try.  I hate the hassle at the airport and this does seem like a really good option.  Less walking, luggage easily taken care of, comfortable seating, bigger bathroom, lower cost & time to the port and total time from home to port will be (I think) comparable or less

than flying.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my questions.  It's the train for me!

Good decision --- anyone going between two points on Northeast Corridor (Boston to Washington) 

should consider Amtrak.  

• Like 1

For some of your questions:

Acela is faster and somewhat more comfortable. You don't need First Class and it's pretty expensive. Never done it. You do get meal service, and I think you're met by a porter for luggage assistance. But it is pricey...

One advantage to Acela is you can reserve your seat. You can't do that on the NE Regional. But the NE Regional is typically much less expensive if booked early; the prices can get a lot more similar closer to travel.

Amtrak trains have quiet cars. Unless you plan an being on your cell phone the whole trip, go for the quiet car... (No cell phone use, conversation at a whisper, electronics on headphones or muted, etc.)

At the manned stations (Boston and NYP), there are porters/red caps. Request one. Have a $5 or $10 bill handy when they get you on the train. At NYP, they'll board you early. I assume the same in BOS, but haven't done that. If you need assistance getting your bags off the train, tell the conductor.

You really just need to get to the train station in time to board, but if you haven't done this before, be a little early. The new Moynihan Train Hall in New York is wonderful, but it's big and "maybe" just a bit confusing. There's an Amtrak waiting area, which is where you'll find the red caps.

Generally speaking it's a very pleasant experience. And you won't have to get to La Guardia when you're so close to Penn Station!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

Acela or Northeast Regional?

If Acela, business or first class?

How comfortable is the seating? 

On a longer trip like this I will usually take the Acela. If it fits within your budget it is a bit more comfortable, the cars have bigger windows are are brighter inside, and is a tiny bit faster on a trip this long (mainly because of fewer stops). There is nothing wrong with regional trains though-- comfortable seating and a cafe car. 

Acela First Class have essentially the same seats as Business class, but fewer of them so it makes that car a little bit more spacious. A full hot meal is served to you at your seat by an attendant and cocktails, beer, and wine are all complimentary and brought to your seat. To answer your question-- I would only book First if there was a decent deal (which can happen but doesn't often) or I'm traveling with my wife and want to make a little special occasion out of it. For myself it doesn't make sense. 

Acela Business is the happy medium. You have a large cafe car with both hot and cold options, full bar, and snacks. 

16 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

Are the seats set up like airlines?

Assigned seating?

Yes-- on both Acela and Regional seats are basically like first class domestic seats on the airlines. Only seats on the Acela are assigned so you can pick your seat ahead of time vs the Regional trains which are open seating. I like this-- it makes things a bit more civilized on a busy day. 

On the Acela there are traditional forward facing seats but there are also sets of 4 seats that face each other around tables. 

I have verigo with issues flying & cruising. Will I need meds traveling by train? 

This is more subjective-- what I can say is that the windows on the Acela are large and let in a lot of light. The windows on the Regionals are much smaller and are long rectangles. Regional cars tend to be a bit darker inside because of this. 

Is bringing luggage a hassle?

No-- you can utilize the complimentary Red Cap service at both South Station and New York Penn. They will handle your luggage to/from the train and make sure it is put away onboard. 

Actual travel time is longer but can I assume from home to arrival it's probably about the same? (I'm about 15 minutes from airport & So. Station)

Any idea how long it will take from the station to the port?

Back when I lived in Boston I would actually race coworkers to New York who were flying and would often beat them to our other office in Midtown Manhattan using the train. The major difference is that the train is going to put you right in Midtown and you are going to be only a short 10 minute taxi/Uber ride to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

Also a nice thing about departing from South Station is that this is where the train originates-- you can usually board 15-20 minutes early (sometimes earlier with a Red Cap where you get preferred boarding) so plenty of time to get settled before departure. Similar for New York Penn Station where the train has a long layover so there is no rush to get off of it on arrival like you would at other stations. 

Footnote:  for an October Amtrak trip to New York you could probably buy your round trip Acela Business Class tickets for about $120 today.   If you were to buy Acela round trip for a ride next week, it would likely run more than $250.   Amtrak prices go up as the date nears, so it pays to make up your mind sooner gather than later.

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Footnote:  for an October Amtrak trip to New York you could probably buy your round trip Acela Business Class tickets for about $120 today.   If you were to buy Acela round trip for a ride next week, it would likely run more than $250.   Amtrak prices go up as the date nears, so it pays to make up your mind sooner gather than later.

I plan on booking my trip after work today.  Only need one way since I'm on a transition cruise and will disembark in Miami.

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

On a longer trip like this I will usually take the Acela. If it fits within your budget it is a bit more comfortable, the cars have bigger windows are are brighter inside, and is a tiny bit faster on a trip this long (mainly because of fewer stops). There is nothing wrong with regional trains though-- comfortable seating and a cafe car. 

Acela First Class have essentially the same seats as Business class, but fewer of them so it makes that car a little bit more spacious. A full hot meal is served to you at your seat by an attendant and cocktails, beer, and wine are all complimentary and brought to your seat. To answer your question-- I would only book First if there was a decent deal (which can happen but doesn't often) or I'm traveling with my wife and want to make a little special occasion out of it. For myself it doesn't make sense. 

Acela Business is the happy medium. You have a large cafe car with both hot and cold options, full bar, and snacks. 

Yes-- on both Acela and Regional seats are basically like first class domestic seats on the airlines. Only seats on the Acela are assigned so you can pick your seat ahead of time vs the Regional trains which are open seating. I like this-- it makes things a bit more civilized on a busy day. 

On the Acela there are traditional forward facing seats but there are also sets of 4 seats that face each other around tables. 

This is more subjective-- what I can say is that the windows on the Acela are large and let in a lot of light. The windows on the Regionals are much smaller and are long rectangles. Regional cars tend to be a bit darker inside because of this. 

No-- you can utilize the complimentary Red Cap service at both South Station and New York Penn. They will handle your luggage to/from the train and make sure it is put away onboard. 

Back when I lived in Boston I would actually race coworkers to New York who were flying and would often beat them to our other office in Midtown Manhattan using the train. The major difference is that the train is going to put you right in Midtown and you are going to be only a short 10 minute taxi/Uber ride to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

Also a nice thing about departing from South Station is that this is where the train originates-- you can usually board 15-20 minutes early (sometimes earlier with a Red Cap where you get preferred boarding) so plenty of time to get settled before departure. Similar for New York Penn Station where the train has a long layover so there is no rush to get off of it on arrival like you would at other stations. 

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.  I'm going to book it after work.  Sonce I'm traveling alone, I'm going with the First class because I can get a single seat which I would prefer.

• Like 1