Taki lodge excursion vs. the 5 glacier seaplane exploration vs Deadliest catch tour

latebuyer

I am looking at booking the taku lodge or flight excursion directly from wings as the cost through royal caribbean is a real rip off. Cost of just the flight is 290 us vs 430us for taku lodge. Is going to taku lodge really worth it vs. just the flight? Cost is quite a bit higher. Also wondering from people who have done taku lodge and deadliest catch tour wnich you’d recommend. Unfortunately due to cost i can’t do it all. It is my 50th though so may be time to splurge on the flight.  I’d be going end of june.

Flights over glaciers are also very popular. The good news is that you have picked 3 very popular excursions and you will probably enjoy whichever you choose. 

If you are looking at Island Wings - I would book soon as Michelle books up quickly!

Edited by Coral

I don't know why but i am having trouble getting excited about the bering fisherman's tour. I got a really good deal at 172 canadian yet still. Misty fjords seems like a good price for 2 hour flight. Not sure if i should do deadliest catch this time and then leave misty fjords for another visit.

Thanks. This cruise doesn't go to Haines or Skagway. If anyone ever goes to Vancouver i would take the flight to Salt spring island. Its beautiful. I think part of the problem is as its my 50th i'd like to do something special, but taku lodge flight comes to 580 canadian and thats pretty steep. The wings airway flight seems more reasonable but the plane seems awful small if its a 6 seater.

Taku Glacier flight with lunch gives you two float plane take-offs and landings, a chance to walk around the lodge grounds/ a small trail, maybe see a bear or two, and enjoy a great salmon lunch.  It also includes flying over the glaciers with headsets for narration.   I wouldn’t do the flight without the lunch/lodge option. Bering Sea Fisherman’s tour is also fun but a totally different experience.  

Edited by oaktreerb

To be honest, i really dislike that a focal point of both taku lodge and the bering fisherman's tour is the feeding of animals. I'm from BC and we are taught never to feed animals or birds and most definitely not bears. Both bears and birds can become habituated to eating human food. In the case of bears, they can become aggressive if habituated to humans and i'm really surprised taku lodge hasn't had an incident. They shouldn't be feeding them scraps from the barbeque. Sorry to lecture but this really bugs me. For me, i'd like to have a real encounter in the wild with an eagle not an artificial one with tossed fish as for bears i guess i've seen them already so i could do without. Maybe a reason for me to take the misty fjords excursion.

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

To be honest, i really dislike that a focal point of both taku lodge and the bering fisherman's tour is the feeding of animals. I'm from BC and we are taught never to feed animals or birds and most definitely not bears. Both bears and birds can become habituated to eating human food. In the case of bears, they can become aggressive if habituated to humans and i'm really surprised taku lodge hasn't had an incident. They shouldn't be feeding them scraps from the barbeque. Sorry to lecture but this really bugs me. For me, i'd like to have a real encounter in the wild with an eagle not an artificial one with tossed fish as for bears i guess i've seen them already so i could do without. Maybe a reason for me to take the misty fjords excursion.

At Taku Glacier Lodge there is no guarantee of seeing a bear.  The bears will sometimes appear to lick the grill and when they do everyone is cautioned to stay away.  These are wild bears doing what wild bears do.  As far as I know, they are the only two bears on the island.

Edited by oaktreerb

23 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I don't know why but i am having trouble getting excited about the bering fisherman's tour. I got a really good deal at 172 canadian yet still. Misty fjords seems like a good price for 2 hour flight. Not sure if i should do deadliest catch this time and then leave misty fjords for another visit.

Don’t take a tour because you got a good deal.  Take the tour you want to take.  

My two cents Taku Lodge and I have taken both tours. To give you more of an idea as to what you will see,  these are as you come in for a landing and the the Taku glacier. The meal is pretty good too, I have used the recipe for grilling the salmon and the baked beans for family get togethers. I am confused as to the issue of deciding between those 2; when we took the Deadliest Catch tour it was in Ketchikan have they moved to Juneau? If it is economics then I would splurge and do both otherwise you will regret what ever decision you pick. I know I have every time I decide between two things I really want to do, that ends up a missed opportunity. For instance you pick the Deadliest Catch tour then absolutely hate it or it is only ok. Or the other way around. One thing that does happen often is the flights are canceled because of weather. So say you pick the flight, passing on DC, the flight is canceled then……. Sorry to be Debbie downer but that happened to us, luckily we were on a B2B and were able to swap our tickets for the return leg and did another excursion in place of the flight on the first leg.  

3B5F9FA1-4A2C-47E2-A400-D75C51C10FD4.jpeg

58A23A7C-3163-46DA-A4E6-FDF1DB2967FB.jpeg

D540E274-A1E5-4A8B-92E7-20B31C140A20.jpeg

2314FE8A-74B0-4B27-83DA-F36566A62B17.jpeg

9CA8B2F0-BF28-4CF6-88A7-6AE47EE54F55.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I still need to think about it. Its very expensive.

Alaska is expensive. Though, when will you return?

I wish people would do some research when they plan an Alaskan cruise on how expensive excursions are. People come to this forum and often don't want to pay for any excursions and just walk around port. I am like "you paid to get here - do stuff"....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Let me repeat again for a canadian it costs 560 for the excursion while for an american it costs 400. Thats a big difference and it means canadians have to be thoughtful with their money and not throw it around like americans.

We all need to be thoughtful about our money. Currency conversions change all the time. I can tell you the hotels I am staying at in Vancouver and Whistler are $$$$. It cost me quite a bit to fly into Vancouver also. Though it is part of the trip and I am not going to skip staying in these wonderful cities or not do things here because it is expensive.

I agree about excursions are more expensive in Alaska compared to the Caribbean. Thought to go and not do things is wasting the amount of money that one spends on cruises to get to Alaska. It would be like going to Orlando to see Disney parks but deciding to skip the parks because of the entrance fees. It sort of defeats the purpose of going to Orlando if the original intent was to see the parks.

• Like 1

These are good points, Coral. I am saving on flight and hotel costs as i'm from Vancouver and i am happy with the cost of my cruise. Whether i should spend the difference on an excursion is debatable. However, i'm also concerned about the glaciers melting and i feel if i don't go now i may miss my opportunity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

These are good points, Coral. I am saving on flight and hotel costs as i'm from Vancouver and i am happy with the cost of my cruise. Whether i should spend the difference on an excursion is debatable. However, i'm also concerned about the glaciers melting and i feel if i don't go now i may miss my opportunity.

I get it! I think my first trip to Alaska was in 2002. I can tell you the glaciers have changed drastically since then. So within 20 years.

Hopefully posts like this will help people realize Alaska is not cheap and maybe they can plan accordingly for the vacation.

I hope you have a great vacation!

I'm actually seriously thinking of taking the plunge on the taku lodge excursion. The misty fjords with island wings looks beautiful but i don't know that i'm comfortable with such a small plane. It looks like a toy. They do have a really good safety record which helps but i just don't know i'd feel comfortable. I suppose i could look into another provider but don't know that they'd be as reputable