Renting Jeep: Is it too much to do or better just doing a beach day?

BoozinCroozin

We have a Jeep reserved. Originally planned to do a laundry list of things but not enough time in the day. I then reversed my thinking by timing everything out. Here is the plan and estimated travel times:

1. Pick Jeep up ~9AM. 

2. Head to Tres Trapi to snorkel and maybe catch some turtles ~10AM

3. Arashi beach for a little relaxing and lunch ~11:30AM

4. Head to the other side of the island to the Gold Mill and a few things that way ~12:30-3:00PM

5. Head back to fill up gas and return the vehicle 4PM. 

6. We still have 6 hours in the port at this point.

As I think about what we can do with the time, it limits what we can do and a bit of the time is driving. I started debating whether it was worth it and just head to Eagle Beach, relax, listen to music, hit the bars, etc. 

Do you need to have the Jeep back by 4?   You’ll still have plenty of time left.   Play it by ear.  You may want to spend extra time snorkeling or at the beach.  Remember the island is only about 20 miles long by 6 miles wide. Traffic can be tough some days,especially if there are a lot of ships in port

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, negn said:

Do you need to have the Jeep back by 4?   You’ll still have plenty of time left.   Play it by ear.  You may want to spend extra time snorkeling or at the beach.  Remember the island is only about 20 miles long by 6 miles wide. Traffic can be tough some days,especially if there are a lot of ships in port

We are the only ship in port. We pick the Jeep up at Manchebo resort. When we drop it off, I think we can also relax at the beach there after. We still want to see around the port area as well and shop at the local shops.

We had our car until 7pm.  Loved cruising the island and stopping at lot's of beaches.  We like to snorkel so we did.... lol 

This time since we aren't docking until 10 ish, we are just going to the beach.  Also renting a car in Curacao so that was plenty.

enjoy

• Thanks 1

We are using Top Drive. I am asking if we can have the rental longer so we can do a little more. $165 is not a bad price, but only so much you can do in such a small amount of time. If we could turn it in at 7PM, we can see quite a bit more. 

I also rented a jeep from Jays car rental with extended hours because our ship is there from 1pm to midnight. I rented it from 1:30 to 9:00pm and will pick up at the cruise terminal. I’m paying $220. We are there with our two grandchildren 11 & 14 wanting to do some site seeing, beaching with some wave runners and then go back to ship freshen up and go to dinner at a fun place. Am I overestimating what we can do and if not any suggestions of where to go? Thanks

• Like 1

I contact Top Drive about our rental. I asked if we could bring it back a little later because we are there from 8AM until 10PM. They responded I could drop it off any time that night because it would be after hours and it is not rented again until the next morning. With that being the case, we may look at more things we can do. With being at the different places all day, I am worried wife and daughter would be too tired late afternoon/early evening without a fresh shower. We will have to see what we can do, but it does give us more time at places now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The time difference cost us an hour in early March. Time change is probably a good thing now. It does get dark earlier there. Not sure how much driving around in the dark that one might do. If you are told to say bring the vehicle back with 1/4 or 1/2 tank depending on what it has in the tank when you pick it up, I would consider getting gas when you first pick up the vehicle. The island is so small that you will not burn a bunch of gas. We only saw 2 gas stations on the entire island (that was from Arashi to Baby Beach).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, Halfpound said:

I also rented a jeep from Jays car rental with extended hours because our ship is there from 1pm to midnight. I rented it from 1:30 to 9:00pm and will pick up at the cruise terminal. I’m paying $220. We are there with our two grandchildren 11 & 14 wanting to do some site seeing, beaching with some wave runners and then go back to ship freshen up and go to dinner at a fun place. Am I overestimating what we can do and if not any suggestions of where to go? Thanks

I just booked through Jays today but they told me I must have the car back by 6pm so now I’m debating if it’s even worth it since we don’t dock until 11am. Wonder how you got extended time with them? 

I actually did not go with renting the jeep because of our timeframe. When I did originally do the booking I was persistent on getting them to extend their hours but at a price. I do have to say that I saw some of their jeep rentals and they seemed to be very nice.