“Arrival Time” - In Port of Call

Racer70

Typically, when a RCL itinerary says, “Arrival @8:00 am” at a port of call, does that mean the ship is clear and ready for passengers to go ashore?

We’re considering a port excursion in Aruba that begins @9:00 am & we must take a taxi to the excursion.

TIA

1 hour ago, Racer70 said:

Typically, when a RCL itinerary says, “Arrival @8:00 am” at a port of call, does that mean the ship is clear and ready for passengers to go ashore?

We’re considering a port excursion in Aruba that begins @9:00 am & we must take a taxi to the excursion.

TIA

In my experience that is arrival time--the time they dock, but not yet cleared.  It can take a little bit for the ship to get clearance, the captain will make announcements, so I'm always the bonehead with my door open so I can hear any updates over the speakers in the hallway.  However, sometimes they do arrive earlier, in which case, you might be able to get off the ship by then.  Depending on how long of a taxi ride you need to take, you should be fine.  

Check with the excursion company to see if they'll wait for cruise passengers. Some get most of their business from the cruise ships, and are flexible so as to accommodate passengers. Others have a broader customer base and are less likely to wait for a couple of late comers getting off a ship.

• Like 2

The other issue you have to contend with is time zones. Some ships do not change the ships time when moving time zones 

Aruba is one hour ahead of EST so if the the ship does not change time then 8am arrival ship time is already 9am local time.

Edited by Spurschick

15 hours ago, Spurschick said:

The other issue you have to contend with is time zones. Some ships do not change the ships time when moving time zones 

Aruba is one hour ahead of EST so if the the ship does not change time then 8am arrival ship time is already 9am local time.

We sail to Aruba in June, and I’ve been informed that daylight savings time will be in effect, so ship time & local time will be the same at the time of our sailing.

That’s one less thing not to worry about.

• Like 1