Buenos Aires iPhone paranoia = want map

soccermom4

I think I've been reading too many threads.  A recent Roll Call had 2 people note that they had iPhones taken in Buenos Aires.  We will be there in a couple of weeks prior to our HAL cruise and are planning to explore for a couple of days.  Thinking I don't want to pull out my iPhone every time I want to look up directions.  Any recommendations on getting a paper map?  Easy to find/get when we arrive in BA?  We'll be staying in Palermo.

• 4 weeks later...

Our hotel had a map.  You should also be able to buy one from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.  None of the locals anywhere in Argentina, Uruguay or Chile had phones in their hands while walking on the streets, stark contrast to the US>

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up one of those touristy maps from the front desk of our hotel. I did use my iphone during our 3 days of touring in BA, but I was super careful the entire time. My DH laughed at the time, but I was cautious after watching several YouTube reports on how to protect your phone while in BA. Suggestions like keep the phone in your hand that's closest to a building and not on the street side. Put the phone in your purse or pocket if you hear a scooter or motorcycle approaching. Don't leave your phone on the table while you eat. These may seem unnecessary, but we did meet 2 separate couples on our cruise who had iphones stolen from table tops while in BA. One person distracts you so you look away, while another snatches the phone. Very sad. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I kept my phone in my vest pocket and got a Bluetooth ear piece to listen to walking directions from MapsMe. I only took it out once or twice, and that when I was inside a safe feeling store. 

In Santiago Airport a security patrol came by and told me to hold on to my small bag, which was in the top of the luggage basket. I was sitting on the floor, the bag about a foot above me and no one around me. They said “it’s not safe to not have it on you here.”

• Thanks 1