Recommendations for a dive shop

mitsugirly

We were thinking about diving in Roatan again (have done so several times and know that the reef is absolutely AMAZING!) but I really don't know what to do in Costa Maya this time around and thought maybe we'd use this stop for our diving. 

Anyone have any dive shop recommendations they've had a good experience with I could reach out to? (We would be doing a discover scuba). 

What type of reef would I see doing a Discover dive? I'm looking for a beautiful reef not really into the sandy area, then a small ball of reef, then sandy and so on. Is that what I would end up seeing?

Has anyone done a dive at Dos Ojos, Aquarium or Bahia? They seem to be the areas for DSD.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Divers I know have in the past had very good dives with Gypsea Divers (next to Nacional Beach Club) and Dreamtime Divers.  Both are PADI5 dive shops. Both use small boats and can do 1 or 2 tank dives.  I think Dreamtime does Discover Scuba dive and tends to a range of divers from beginners to experienced, so if more than just your usual crew, might not be as exciting as you have previously experienced. both have websites or are on FB.

One of the most popular dive shops seems to be Dr Dive at YaYa Beach.  Also Pepe's Divers next to Jaime's Blue Reef and Mahahual Divers which was on the south side of NoHoch Kay.  I'm seeing reviews on all as being pretty good, but not really acquainted with them.

The reef off the coast is the northern portion of the great Meso-American barrier reef you've dived or snorkeled at in Belize.

Thanks for the information Crew!

I have reached out to Gypsy and Pepe's Dive. Dreamtime seems to be the company the cruise ships use and they have a lot of bad reviews online so I think I'll skip them. 

I did reach out to Dr Dive a few weeks ago and a place called Amigos del Mar

Hopefully we will find the perfect place to dive with. 

If anyone else can give any recommendations or experiences I would appreciate it. 

Been over a year since we were in Costa Maya, but I seem to recall Amigos del Mar was the old Mahahual diving near NoHoch Kay.  I remember talking to one of the divers there, way back when, and he seemed pretty competent. Plus a client enjoyed that dive.   But things change over time.

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Been over a year since we were in Costa Maya, but I seem to recall Amigos del Mar was the old Mahahual diving near NoHoch Kay.  I remember talking to one of the divers there, way back when, and he seemed pretty competent. Plus a client enjoyed that dive.   But things change over time.

Just wondering if there was any substance you might know of with the comment "things change over time" or just that it "could have changed"?

I did receive a long email back from Pepe Dive and I really liked their response and information they took the time out to talk about the dive. 

• Like 1

Well,  I did note that many places had closed or were under new ownership along the malecon.  Also more kiosk type craft sales.  But you're asking someone who remembers being able to go through the hole in the fence to ChaChi and eat at the Cat's Meow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Well,  I did note that many places had closed or were under new ownership along the malecon.  Also more kiosk type craft sales.  But you're asking someone who remembers being able to go through the hole in the fence to ChaChi and eat at the Cat's Meow.

Haha, isn't that the place everyone asks about to the right of the pier? I wish someone would do something with that place. It looks like it could be beautiful and some place nice to hang out at by the port. 

16 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Haha, isn't that the place everyone asks about to the right of the pier? I wish someone would do something with that place. It looks like it could be beautiful and some place nice to hang out at by the port. 

Yes. The story i heard is that the owner of the property refuses to sell to the port or local owners, especially the guy who owns Tequila Beach and has a large interest in the port facilities.  Some kind of personal tiff dating back years.  But he never had the insurance or funds to reopen.  True or not, makes some sense to me.  

But yes it'd be a great spot.  If accessible from the port it could reduce the malecon traffic.

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, Lanture said:

Found this thread doing a very similar search  to yours @mitsugirly. Did you end up diving in Costa Maya? If so, where did you go and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance!

Yes we did. We went with Pepe Dive and they were great.  You can find my review HERE