Malaga options

Bxianesq

We're on a Holland America cruise that stops in Cadiz this spring.  I see lots of recommendations to take the ship's tour to Granada and visit the Alhambra. I would love to see it, but I see lots of comments about slippery steps with no railings. I fractured my ankle in December and had surgery.  I will be done with physical therapy before  our cruise, and my surgeon has said that he sees no issue with us going on the cruise.  At most, I may need a fabric ankle brace by that point. Before my surgery, I was quite active (daily walks and Peleton bike classes).  I've never had any sort of mobility impairment.  For those who have been to the Alhambra, should I avoid it due to the stair issues (not asking for medical advice-just thoughts from people who have visited).?

If we skip the Alhambra this time, I would love to hear suggestions for tours or other things to do during a port stop in Malaga. 

14 hours ago, Bxianesq said:

Olemme Holland America -risteilyllä, joka pysähtyy Cadizissa tänä keväänä. Näen paljon suosituksia lähteä laivan kiertueelle Granadaan ja vierailla Alhambrassa. Haluaisin nähdä sen, mutta näen paljon kommentteja liukkaista portaista ilman kaiteita. Murtuin nilkkaani joulukuussa ja jouduin leikkaukseen. Minulle on tehty fysioterapia ennen risteilyämme, ja kirurgini on sanonut, ettei hän näe meidän risteilylle lähtemisessämme mitään ongelmaa. Enimmillään saatan tarvita kangastuen siinä vaiheessa. Ennen leikkausta olin melko aktiivinen (päivittäiset kävelyt ja Peleton-pyörätunnit). Minulla ei ole koskaan ollut minkäänlaista liikkumisvammaa. Pitäisikö Alhambrassa käyneiden välttää sitä portaiden takia (en pyytänyt lääkärin neuvoja - vain ajatuksia vierailijoilta).

Jos jätämme Alhambran tällä kertaa väliin, haluaisin mielelläni kuulla ehdotuksia retkistä tai muista tekemistä Malagan satamapysähdyksen aikana. 

Having lived half of my life in Málaga and having visited the Alhambra in Granada numerous times, my personal recommendation is that you explore Málaga and/or the surrounding areas. The Alhambra simply has a lot of stairs. From near of the port of Málaga, you can take a bus and go, for example, to Fuengirola (along the coast) and from there take another bus up to the beautiful village of Mijas in the mountains (where the cruise lines also make excursions) and from there take a third bus to Torremolinos, from where you can easily get back to Málaga.

In Málaga, my favorite place is Antigua Casa de Guardia, the oldest winery in the city, where you can taste sweet Málaga wine. The nearby market hall is also a good place to visit, as well as Casa Aranda if you want to taste the best churros in town.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good suggestions f rom Lucas.  There is also the light railway which follows the coast (nice views) from Malaga with frequent trains, goes as far as Fuengirola, and you can get on and off wherever as far as I remember. We thought the ho ho bus in Malaga was  good value and it picks up from the cruise terminal gates.  there are two routes and you can swap between them. This way you can get to the botanic gardens which are nice but not good on a wet day!

• Thanks 1

I will look into them and will pass on the Alhambra.

In that case, an easy substitute would be the Malaga Alcazaba.  No need to climb up, as there is an elevator to take you up,found  in the street which backs the Town Hall.  Having visited the Alhambra twice and the Alcazar of Seville once, we found it less interesting than the others, but it is still worth visiting and would be a good introduction for you.

There are gardens beside the Town hall, and only a five or fewer minutes walk away, the gardens which run parallel to the main road outside the port gates are also pretty and flat for walking.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:02 AM, Incognito1 said:

Has anyone done the 15-minute tour of Roman ruins at the Hotel Vincci Seleccion?  Or at the University of Malaga?  Recommended or not?  

Hi, both places have ruins, for the hotel the old city wall (as well as in the Plaza de la Marina parking) and at the University (near the Bank of Spain) the ruins of the salazón or fish drying method. Also, don't forget the ruins of the Roman theater and the Alcazaba fortress. You can visit all these destinations on foot.

• Like 1

https://www.tomsportguides.com/

These are fantastic port guides, providing detailed information. Search the web site and its links and you'll find Malaga with maps, information about historic sites, etc. We'll be in Malaga at the end of this month and have reserved a walking tour with tours by locals, then meeting friends from the UK who have a holiday home about 20 minutes ourside of the city. In the late afternoon, we plan to explore a few things on our own before we head back to the ship.

Darcy

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cdrcruisin said:

Has anyone done a "Granada on Your Own" tour? I am wondering where the tour bus will drop us off, so that I can plan transportation to Old Town and the Alhambra. Thanks in advance!

Just one point - if you want to see the Alhambra independently,  you will need to pre-book a timed entry ticket. So, not only do you need to know the drop off point, but you also need to know when you will be dropped off as well.

• Thanks 1

And importantly where and when for the return to ship.

The Alhambra is usually better as a shorex or private tour as getting tickets could be tricky and they sell out early, pre-pandemic several months ahead but nowadays I do not know..  Only a certain number are sold for each day, and once there, timing is crucial as you mjust be at the different entrances within the complex  at very specific times.  There is not usually any opportunity to visit the Old Town as the coaches will transfer you to the Alhambra and drop you off.  Pax are then put into smaller groups for the visit before reboarding the coaches forr the return to the ship.

Suggest you read some of the very very many previous threads about Granada, and the Alhambra to help you decide.  Enter either Granada or Alhambra into the SEARCH BOX under your user name and hit the little spy glass.  All previous threads containing that word will appear readfy for you to read.  It saves having to back page.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  Am aware of issues related to tickets for Alhambra, and we have decided not to try to pack that into this trip, given the difficulty of managing the timing and only being in Granada for about 3 hours. We are great walkers, so we just plan to see the Cathedral and as much of the Old Town as possible. 

Appreciate your help.

19 hours ago, cdrcruisin said:

Thank you.  Am aware of issues related to tickets for Alhambra, and we have decided not to try to pack that into this trip, given the difficulty of managing the timing and only being in Granada for about 3 hours. We are great walkers, so we just plan to see the Cathedral and as much of the Old Town as possible. 

Appreciate your help.

It does seem a lot of travelling to spend only three hours in Granada. 

There is so much to see in Malaga, that I would spend my day there,  rather than spend the best part of four hours travelling to Granada and back.

Obviously,  if you have explored all of Malaga, I understand why you would want to go to Granada.

• Like 1

we just plan to see the Cathedral and as much of the Old Town as possible. 

You may find post #2 on this previous thread helpful to read, but, I too would suggest you spend the day in Malaga instead, unless of course you have enjoyed previous visits to the city as there is a good deal to see and do there.  And Malaga also has a   cathedral and an Old Town to explore without losing so much time on the long drives  to and from Granada.  It is possible to visit inside Malaga Cathedral (for a fee) but you also need to check opening hours.Once you exit the port gates in Malaga, you are already in the city. And i may be wrong, but I don't remember the drives being especially scenic..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2883529-granada/#comment-64027141

You could do as we often do and internet search something like "self guided walking tours of Old Town (or historic centre) Malaga." or join one of the organised walking tours instead.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:38 PM, sleepingcat said:

Good suggestions f rom Lucas.  There is also the light railway which follows the coast (nice views) from Malaga with frequent trains, goes as far as Fuengirola, and you can get on and off wherever as far as I remember. We thought the ho ho bus in Malaga was  good value and it picks up from the cruise terminal gates.  there are two routes and you can swap between them. This way you can get to the botanic gardens which are nice but not good on a wet day!

Which HOHO goes to the winery and Casa Aranda.....sounds like a good combo.....wine and churros!

On 2/24/2023 at 1:38 PM, sleepingcat said:

Can you tell me where the HoHo stop will be coming to Malaga this spring . ? Your experience ....Thanks