Do you ever wonder " such an underused use of space" ?

Gunther1

21 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I believe the "space" in the atrium needs to are kept relatively open and free, so it can be utilized as an emergency large crowd gathering area?

Interesting, I have never heard this theory. I thought HAL ripping out the bars on deck 1 of some of the atriums was a tacit resignation that revenue generation just wasn't going to happen there, so may as well make more usable lounge space. Never considered it could be a nod to safety.

I could see how crowd gathering space would be much more needed on the Pinnacle class, especially since there's no mustering area outdoors.

4 minutes ago, Infi said:

Thanks, and agreed. To be clear, I don't expect the lounges to be hopping with activity or planned events 24/7. I just think back to the days of America's Test Kitchen and other enrichment programs, where the Queen's Lounge, Wajang theater etc. wouldn't sit empty all day long and would have a few activities sprinkled throughout the day. I'm not even saying it all needs to be enrichment, either - they could also be used to host revenue generating activities, like spa or shopping talks. 

Good question about the cooking set-up on the Vistas; I have no idea. HAL spent a mint to retrofit those spaces so I would hope so. I do know that the demo kitchen is still there on the R class ships. We were told on Zaandam over the holidays that there was a plan to bring back Port to Table (cooking demos) in the new year. We shall see.

Nooooo! Please, please no more spa or shopping infomercials!!!! 

I would love to see the cooking demos return. Even better, the hands-on classes. I would happily pay to go to some of those again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Nooooo! Please, please no more spa or shopping infomercials!!!! 

I would love to see the cooking demos return. Even better, the hands-on classes. I would happily pay to go to some of those again.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like them either and would never attend them. That being said, I know HAL needs to make money and as much as I like enrichment activities, I know there needs to be a balance between the two. Enrichment has sorely been lacking since COVID, but even the infomercials are down, making for a pretty paltry set of offering in the daily program and a lot of empty venues. 

I miss the cooking classes too. Wish I had signed up for more of them in the past. Classic "you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

Edited by Infi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Infi said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like them either and would never attend them. That being said, I know HAL needs to make money and as much as I like enrichment activities, I know there needs to be a balance between the two. Enrichment has sorely been lacking since COVID, but even the infomercials are down, making for a pretty paltry set of offering in the daily program and a lot of empty venues. 

I miss the cooking classes too. Wish I had signed up for more of them in the past. Classic "you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

The classes were a 5-star perk, and anyone else had to get on a waiting list. I would sign up right away on embarkation day, so I had a chance of making the cut. And I did. I was lucky to do the class twice when there was a guest chef. Even better than the cooking was the conversation over the lunch that followed.

They need a kitchen setup for hands-on classes, but they don't need one for demos. Cunard does demos in the main theater. They use portable cooking stations and get the most entertaining staff members to do it. I think the chefs enjoy it even more than the passengers. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The classes were a 5-star perk, and anyone else had to get on a waiting list. I would sign up right away on embarkation day, so I had a chance of making the cut. And I did. I was lucky to do the class twice when there was a guest chef. Even better than the cooking was the conversation over the lunch that followed.

Interesting! I knew 5 star Mariners were entitled to a free class, but had always seen the cooking classes offered to the general population as a paid activity. They usually sold out on embarkation day during the "open house" time they used to have in that venue. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:27 PM, Gunther1 said:

For example, I rarely see anybody using the sports deck .  I'm sure they are used occasionally, but from my personal observation, it's pretty rare.

The sports deck is about to become a dedicated pickleball court, and is bound to be well used (weahter permitting).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/this-cruise-line-is-going-all-in-on-pickleball/ar-AA15jEW4

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, highscar said:

The sun deck above the sea view pool, love it.  Pretty empty, great sea view, relaxing, quiet , my secret (don’t tell anybody) I have my own shade, my always with me folding umbrella. 

Good idea. Adding  "clam shells", instead of the current unprotected loungers, could also make this space more welcoming. Yes, even a bracket for a portable shade umbrella could work.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:20 PM, PACD_JG said:

I've only been on two ships (both Pinnacle class), but the biggest underused use of space I've seen is the World Stage Theater.  From their website:

World Stage, the largest theater on board is home to a variety of performances day and night. Our exclusive EXC® Talk lecture series features captivating regional stories told by local experts and narrated by your Cruise & Travel Director. In the evenings, Step One Dance Company, vocal sensation Cantaré, BBC Earth in Concert and more take the stage. Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam bring the World Stage experience to the next level by surrounding you in spectacular sight and sound with a two-story, panoramic LED screen.

I've seen too many 1/4 - 1/2 filled shows in this venue - mostly because the events they list aren't must-sees, even on a sea day.  In other words, wasted space.

Yep, a terrible waste of space as HAL has cut the entertainment budget.

5 hours ago, daisy-mae said:
On 2/23/2023 at 6:27 PM, Gunther1 said:

For example, I rarely see anybody using the sports deck .  I'm sure they are used occasionally, but from my personal observation, it's pretty rare.

The sports deck is about to become a dedicated pickleball court, and is bound to be well used (weahter permitting).

And in the evening, the sports court is often busy with teens looking for something to do.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

It would be a nice addition - and certainly the first question asked by CCL/HAL management will be "does it make money" and I think the specialty foods and drinks that the GDC sells would check that box. 

Also bear in mind that not every venue is necessarily direct revenue generating but indirectly generates revenue by attracting new and repeat customers.  Look at the World Stage.  Other than relatively minor revenue from selling pre-show drinks to non HIA package customers, the World Stage is very direct-revenue negative but is potentially revenue positive from an advertising standpoint.

The GDC has been very popular on the Pinnacle class ships--whether it generates a lot of direct revenue or not--and it nicely emphasizes HAL's Dutch heritage.  It also gives people more to do in what many in these forums has pointed out is a virtual drought of activity during the day.  Excluding the fitness center activities and the spa and sales pitches, the daily When and Where activity list has maybe 2-3 activities per day before the Music Walk comes alive..

3 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

The GDC has been very popular on the Pinnacle class ships--whether it generates a lot of direct revenue or not--and it nicely emphasizes HAL's Dutch heritage.

Which if they're smart - will in the long run mean revenue.  It is or should be an expression of the brand identity.

34 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

Which if they're smart - will in the long run mean revenue.  It is or should be an expression of the brand identity.

Bring back Dutch Tea, Dutch night in the MDR (for the night of the Orange party?), or add Dutch items to the "special" dressy night menu? 

For the non-Pinnacle ships, could they enlarge the coffee/bar area in the Crows Nest (or whatever they call it now) and serve some of the Dutch Cafe items? I recall seeing some things in a cold case, so not everything requires having a kitchen there. 

• Like 5

On 2/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, Gunther1 said:

Every time I'm on a HAL ship, I see a space and wonder to myself why it's configured for a specific purpose. 

I never wonder this, but sadly the execs did a few years ago when they decided to add staterooms to the wonderful open space on the Observation decks of the Vistas. 

• Thanks 1