Cape Liberty to Newark Penn Amtrak return

momtogo

Hi all,

Thanks for the valuable info as usual Cruise Critic!  We are scheduled to arrive at Cape Liberty from Bermuda at 7:00 am on Thursday, July 27 and would like to take the Amtrak from Newark Penn at 9:29 am, should we shoot for a later train or is this doable? 

1 hour ago, momtogo said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the valuable info as usual Cruise Critic!  We are scheduled to arrive at Cape Liberty from Bermuda at 7:00 am on Thursday, July 27 and would like to take the Amtrak from Newark Penn at 9:29 am, should we shoot for a later train or is this doable? 

You might - perhaps even probably will - make it.  But given the fact that there are many trains, do you really want to accept the reasonable chance that you might not make it -- meaning that you will have to buy another ticket for a later train?

13 hours ago, momtogo said:

We are scheduled to arrive at Cape Liberty from Bermuda at 7:00 am on Thursday, July 27 and would like to take the Amtrak from Newark Penn at 9:29 am, should we shoot for a later train or is this doable? 

I agree witth navybankerteacher in kind, but I think what your proposing is a reasonable calculated risk. Sure there is a chance you won't make it but a decent chance you will. If you purchase tickets in advance, at a lower rate than they would go for same day, and you miss the train the worst case scenario is that you are out the difference in fare for a later train. The benefit obviously being you make it, get a good deal, and get home as early as possible. This isn't as risky as doing the same with the airlines. 

Edited by princeton123211
typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, momtogo said:

We are scheduled to arrive at Cape Liberty from Bermuda at 7:00 am on Thursday, July 27 and would like to take the Amtrak from Newark Penn at 9:29 am, should we shoot for a later train or is this doable? 

If it were a weekend, it would be easy to travel to NPS as you plan. I still think it is doable on a weekday but there will be traffic and assuming you walk off self assist at 7 and have car service waiting for you.

There is a 10:30 train from Newark Airport station that goes to Boston that you would certainly make.

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

If it were a weekend, it would be easy to travel to NPS as you plan. I still think it is doable on a weekday but there will be traffic and assuming you walk off self assist at 7 and have car service waiting for you.

There is a 10:30 train from Newark Airport station that goes to Boston that you would certainly make.

Thanks everyone! I was trying to catch the 9:30 Acela train to Boston but I don't think it's worth risking it so we'll go with 10:30. I appreciate the feedback.

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, momtogo said:

Will it be easy enough to get Uber/Lyft from the port to Newark Penn that morning? There will be 6 of us. Would a car service be a safer bet?

Uber/Lyft is readily available and have never had an issue at Cape Liberty. You always could preschedule a car service but you'll likely overpay significantly for not much material benefit. 

Just keep an eye on Uber wait times as you are getting ready to disembark and if they are longer just time it. But again-- have never had an issue or longer than a 12-15 min wait time at Cape Liberty. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Uber/Lyft is readily available and have never had an issue at Cape Liberty. You always could preschedule a car service but you'll likely overpay significantly for not much material benefit. 

Just keep an eye on Uber wait times as you are getting ready to disembark and if they are longer just time it. But again-- have never had an issue or longer than a 12-15 min wait time at Cape Liberty. 

Thank you!