Help Me Decide on A Tour from Cannes

Macdooger4

Can you give your opinion on these two options?

1st Option. Private tour from Cannes...to anywhere we'd like to between Cannes and Monte-Carlo. It's 98 euros pp and 4 hours long. Would we have time to see anything and explore a bit with only 4 hours though? We'd like to stop in Eze and Monte-Carlo and walk around. Not sure 4 hours is long enough.

2nd Option: A group tour (15 people min and 35 people max). 99 Euros pp. 7-8 hours long and stops in Nice, Eze and Monte-Carlo. I like this option except for the fact that if they don't get 15 people, it will not be held, so it has that risk...then we will be left with nothing. 

ORRRR....can we do these towns (Nice, Eze and/or Monte-Carlo) on our own? Is it difficult to take the train from Cannes to these places?

If you go back and search this blog you will find lots of older posts (many from me) that explain how to do all of those places on your own (DIY).  Just understand that DIY does require some pre-trip homework, a little spirit of adventure, good travel common sense, etc.  For folks that prefer "handholding" you are likely not going to be happy DIY.

As to 4 hours, that is a real stretch.  Just consider that it takes about 1 hour to drive from Cannes to Monte Carlo (one way).  Eze is about the same and Nice is about 45 min (one way).  And that is using the inland Autostrade (4 lane highways) rather than the more picturesque local roads along the coast.  It is possible to visit both Monte Carlo and Eze in 4 hours (with a car), but you will not have much time to fully enjoy either place.  Just consider that the last time DW and I drove over to Eze Village, it took over 1 1/2 hours just to enjoy a nice lunch.

Getting to Antibes, Nice, and Monte Carlo are quite easy on the train (although you still must get to and from train stations).  Eze Village is somewhat more complex since it is not along the train line which means DIY folks need to use a combination of trains and buses.  Another option, for the DIY person, is to simply rent a car for the day (we often do this) which gives you a lot of flexibility.   GPS makes getting around not too difficult, but one still needs to deal with the usual driving/parking issues.

Hank

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If you go back and search this blog you will find lots of older posts (many from me) that explain how to do all of those places on your own (DIY).  Just understand that DIY does require some pre-trip homework, a little spirit of adventure, good travel common sense, etc.  For folks that prefer "handholding" you are likely not going to be happy DIY.

As to 4 hours, that is a real stretch.  Just consider that it takes about 1 hour to drive from Cannes to Monte Carlo (one way).  Eze is about the same and Nice is about 45 min (one way).  And that is using the inland Autostrade (4 lane highways) rather than the more picturesque local roads along the coast.  It is possible to visit both Monte Carlo and Eze in 4 hours (with a car), but you will not have much time to fully enjoy either place.  Just consider that the last time DW and I drove over to Eze Village, it took over 1 1/2 hours just to enjoy a nice lunch.

Getting to Antibes, Nice, and Monte Carlo are quite easy on the train (although you still must get to and from train stations).  Eze Village is somewhat more complex since it is not along the train line which means DIY folks need to use a combination of trains and buses.  Another option, for the DIY person, is to simply rent a car for the day (we often do this) which gives you a lot of flexibility.   GPS makes getting around not too difficult, but one still needs to deal with the usual driving/parking issues.

Hank

thank you for the insight.

This is another of these "difficult decisions" port stops as there are way too many options for the time you will have in port, and where a land holiday woiuld be a better option to give more time to explore the area.  And Cannes is a tender port so extra time getting off and on again will eat into your time ashore.

Thinking (like Hank) that you are being over ambitious unless you only want the briefest glimpses of each place on your wish list and that could leave you disappointed.   Might it be a better idea to pick just ONE of Nice, Monte Carlo, or Eze and see it more in-depth than  a drive through would offer?   Of the three, as already mentioned, Eze would be the most difficult to DIY due to its location and lack of a train station, but either Nice or Monaco would be easier with trains from Cannes to both, and the railway line runs alongside the coast most of the way so there are views..

You could look at online info for  both Nice and Monaco to see which appeals to you most then plan your day from there. Nice is closer than Monaco  to Cannes so there would be a little time saved,  but not a huge amount.

Do remember that if travelling by train, you MUST remember to validate your tickets before boarding the train otherwise you would be fined should there be an inspection..If you didn't know about the validation requirement, try googling for information on how to do this.

After posting this, I noticed a different thread just a few down from yours and it would be useful for you to read it. as there have been changes at Eze and these would also impact your time there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2917259-how-long-and-difficult-is-the-walk-up-to-eze-village-from-the-bottom-of-the-hill/

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

This is another of these "difficult decisions" port stops as there are way too many options for the time you will have in port, and where a land holiday woiuld be a better option to give more time to explore the area.  And Cannes is a tender port so extra time getting off and on again will eat into your time ashore.

Thinking (like Hank) that you are being over ambitious unless you only want the briefest glimpses of each place on your wish list and that could leave you disappointed.   Might it be a better idea to pick just ONE of Nice, Monte Carlo, or Eze and see it more in-depth than  a drive through would offer?   Of the three, as already mentioned, Eze would be the most difficult to DIY due to its location and lack of a train station, but either Nice or Monaco would be easier with trains from Cannes to both, and the railway line runs alongside the coast most of the way so there are views..

You could look at online info for  both Nice and Monaco to see which appeals to you most then plan your day from there. Nice is closer than Monaco  to Cannes so there would be a little time saved,  but not a huge amount.

Do remember that if travelling by train, you MUST remember to validate your tickets before boarding the train otherwise you would be fined should there be an inspection..If you didn't know about the validation requirement, try googling for information on how to do this.

After posting this, I noticed a different thread just a few down from yours and it would be useful for you to read it. as there have been changes at Eze and these would also impact your time there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2917259-how-long-and-difficult-is-the-walk-up-to-eze-village-from-the-bottom-of-the-hill/

Thank you! Appreciate your thoughts.

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, Macdooger4 said:

Can you give your opinion on these two options?

1st Option. Private tour from Cannes...to anywhere we'd like to between Cannes and Monte-Carlo. It's 98 euros pp and 4 hours long. Would we have time to see anything and explore a bit with only 4 hours though? We'd like to stop in Eze and Monte-Carlo and walk around. Not sure 4 hours is long enough.

2nd Option: A group tour (15 people min and 35 people max). 99 Euros pp. 7-8 hours long and stops in Nice, Eze and Monte-Carlo. I like this option except for the fact that if they don't get 15 people, it will not be held, so it has that risk...then we will be left with nothing. 

ORRRR....can we do these towns (Nice, Eze and/or Monte-Carlo) on our own? Is it difficult to take the train from Cannes to these places?

Just wondering what tour company you were thinking of using for the 2nd option?

• 3 weeks later...

Hlitner, Edinburgher and anyone else that may have insight,

We are also docking in Cannes mid-August.  Taking my sister and BIL for their first experience on the French Riviera.  We've been there on land tour and cruise stops.  Our favorites stops were Eze and St Paul De-Vence.  Both of those villages are similar, so I'm trying to pick just one; probably Eze.  Then possibly Nice-Old Town and a little Monte Carlo just so they can say they've been there as it's so iconic.  We are there 9 hours, so I was going to try to hire just transportation between the sites and not an actual tour.  Is this too overzealous?  Any ideas of how much time to spend at each and what to target in Monte Carlo and Nice?  

Thanks for your insight.

Edited by Travel To Be Free

Sorry, but IMHO, and for peace of mind, I think you are being over ambitious, but others are almost certain to disagree.

Cannes is not as convenient for Nice and/or Monaco and if you also add Eze, even more time consuming for travel and you may spend most of your day travelling from A to B to C without much (if any) "feet on the ground" experience of any of them.  And there was a recent thread about a change at Eze which means you have to go up and down again  on foot, and that too will eat into your time.

And do bear in mind that Cannes is a tender port and time will be lost both leaving the ship and reboarding, so you could lose anything up to an hour at each end, maybe a litle less if a small ship or perhaps more if a big ship.

You could pull up previous threads for Cannes, Nice, Monaco/Monte Carlo and Eze by using the search tool under your user name and inputting each name in turn..  To do this successfully, stay on the general  FRANCE PORTS FORUM and not an individual thread.

Here is the recent EZE thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2917259-how-long-and-difficult-is-the-walk-up-to-eze-village-from-the-bottom-of-the-hill/#comment-64868374

Edited by edinburgher

Tthe usual dilemma of too many choices and not enough time.  You already know the benefit of a land trip, but this time you only have a few hours. And August isusually  the hottest month in that area so you won't want to be dashing around.

Antibes is really quite close to Cannes and there should be easy  public buses and trains running that route..

I rather like Antibes, especiallly the old town and the area around the harbour/marina, but that is me not you..  And if you like the works of Picasso, you will find some here  Long time since I last visited but there used to also be a very good market in town.  You can also walk to Juan les Pins but you may not find much to interest you there unless you want some beach time but you could stay in Cannes for that.

Unless you plan on paying taxis for each journey, you would need to do some online homework regarding public buses and trains, also for info, reviews  and images for Antibes which should be found easily enough on Tripadvisor and others.

With your port times, both SP de V and Antibes should be doable together if you don't put off much time anywhere and can get on an early tender.. I think! It is of course your own responsibilty.

Or you could go to Nice alone, an easy train ride from Cannes where you would have time for sightseeing and a leisurely lunch there.. Again, info on Tripadvisor and others.

• Like 1

Have you tendered in at Cannes before?

Only once and we did a shorex so were in the first groups off,,both other visits were land trips to the area..

Much will depend on your line and ship and they way they organise them, this sometimes depending on the number of passengers onboard..Smaller ships do not always follow the same routine as larger ships but may follow it in part..

Usual routine is

Shorex first,

Suite and other pax with privileges next,

Higher loyalty status next,

All others often in groups according to the numbers they picked up from a lounge. Usually the lower your number the shorter the wait.

For a more accurate answer you could ask about the tendering procedure  on the forum for your cruiseline..

Edited by edinburgher

On 4/23/2023 at 6:24 PM, Travel To Be Free said:

Have you tendered in at Cannes before?  If you're not on a ship's tour, how long does it take to go through the process?  We get in at 8:30, so I'm trying to figure out what time we could actually get to shore to either plan a taxi driver or to get to the train station.  

Edinburgher explained it well.  Probably no different in Cannes than anywhere else.  We have tendered in Cannes a few times.  I have always wanted to go to Monaco but always found something else to do.  I know that it would be better visited as a land tour and so postpone it.  

I actually like Cannes as a cruise stop.  In the middle of August you can visit the old town, go shopping and go to the beach.  Lots of posh cars to keep you entertained.   There are hand prints outside the building where they hold the film festival.

I Looked  at my diary of the day we did Antibes and Cannes from NCL. Epic April 2016.   On reading it I recall we had a lovely day, we just had not checked the transport timetables and so wasted time at the bus and train station.  With four people I think it would have been worth doing at least one leg by taxi. 

The diary was not very well written, but kept to plan subsequent cruises.  

We had a 9.05 tender ticket.  (On NCL Book as soon as you get on board, it is under entertainment I think).    We went down ten minutes early as suggested but found that they had not called the 8:45 yet.  It seemed a bit frantic but they maybe should not encourage people to be early.  When we did have to leave no one actually checked the time but maybe they would.  They said anyone without tickets would have to wait until 11 am.

Anyway we were on the tender at about 9.20 but had to wait for some tours to board.  Getting off in Cannes is easy..  We asked where the Nice bus (the 200) went, were misguided and then redirected to the train station.  We had to watch a bus leave (about 10.10) because I could not reach my purse, the next one was ages coming  and then the driver got off for a coffee.  By the time he got back there were three 200s in a row waiting to leave.  We were on our way by about 10.30. Were not sure where to get off and missed the town centre ending up at the train station.  It was an easy walk into town and at least we did now know where transport left from.   Antibes is lovely .We found the Provençal market.  The fruit and veg looked very nice but it was really expensive.  I  did buy some bags of herbs and some lavender bags. .  I had not expected such expensive boats at the marina though.  We wandered around, saw the walls, the beach and the cathedral.  We got back to the train station by about 1.15 pm and should have compared the time of the train to the bus times.  The trains were not as regular as I had thought so we had to wait until two pm having watched two buses leave.  A quick toilet stop and coffee and eventually the train arrived.  It was busy but there were plenty of seats where we got on.  Mid summer I am sure it is much more hectic.  It would have been better to go there and back by bus, since the bus and train station are actually right next to each other there is some deciding.  The train also went to Grasse and to Nice and Monte Carlo.  Looking at the train times there would have been time for about four hours in Monte Carlo/Monaco if you use the train and leave on the earliest tender if like today the ship arrives at 8 am and leaves at 6pm ( putting the last tender at 5 pm)    I suppose the question is how long does  the ship tour stay in Monte Carlo.  Nice is certainly doAble.  I wonder what there is to see in Grasse.  I think the train went to Eze too so consider that another time.

We wandered along the shopping street and found something for the girls.  Back along la croisette and past the building that hosts the Cannes film festival.  I looked at the handprints made by the stars. Sylvester Stallone's hands are huge!   

I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Hi Hank, Is it difficult to get to and from the train stations in Cannes and Monte Carlo?  OUR NCL is out of excursions to Monte Carlo, but we would like to try the train over and back. I realize it is an hour each way so we would allow for that.  We are in port from 7 a to 4pm so figured we could hopefully catch an 8am train over arrive around 9 stroll around and head back by 1pm to be safe.  Should we buy train tickets ahead of time or is it easy to buy them at the station?  It looks like a train runs every 30 minutes or so????  Thanks, Pat and family

On 2/25/2023 at 7:39 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I can answer the Cannes part of this.   In a previous post I wrote about going to Antibes which we eventually did by bus.  Monaco is further down the line.  

In Cannes It is (according to Google maps) 17 mins walking between the tender drop off point and the train station.  (It gives 12 minutes by car so it does not seem worth finding a taxi to take you to the train station). To find the drop off search for ‘embarcadere Ile Sainte Marguerite’.  This is right in front of where you get off the tender.    You wii have to try and secure an early tender ticket.  Ask about it the day you board or look on the ‘entertainment’ section of the app.  Even with an early tender ticket You may be pushing it to catch the 9 am train.  

it is not so difficult to buy train  tickets.  There are machines that I think will translate into English.  

In your position I would not reserve train tickets ahead of time.  If you genuinely would prefer a ship tour, it would be wise to put your name down for a cancellation, they do sometimes appear last minute.  

I cant help you with Monte Carlo.  It is on my bucket list.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
More info added

We are also planning to be in Cannes and I am thinking we will book a walking tour with the ship's excursion desk so we are able to get early tender positioning, if that is finished by noonish....would we have time to catch a direct train and see a Antibes? Our ship will leave at 7 pm that evening. Would love to know if that is doable before I book the Cannes walking tour. Thanks in advance. 

13 minutes ago, crewsgirl said:

We are also planning to be in Cannes and I am thinking we will book a walking tour with the ship's excursion desk so we are able to get early tender positioning, if that is finished by noonish....would we have time to catch a direct train and see a Antibes? Our ship will leave at 7 pm that evening. Would love to know if that is doable before I book the Cannes walking tour. Thanks in advance. 

Plenty of time for Antibes. Plan to catch the train and have lunch there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Plenty of time for Antibes. Plan to catch the train and have lunch there.

And from Cannes, do you think Antibes is the best place to explore and spend our time? I like to do some independent travel but I am going to book with the ship so I can get a decent tender since Cannes is small. I have been to Eze and enjoyed doing all the perfumes with my daughter on another trip. This is with my husband, and I wonder if Antibes is lovely and would be the best choice in that area? Or would you focus on Nice? 

• Like 1

Frankly, I would skip the walking tour of Cannes and take the train to Nice. Nice is best in the morning when the Flower Market is open. Stop in Antibes on your way back from Nice. Still, have lunch in the old town and visit the Picasso museum. When you get back to Cannes you would still have time to walk around La Croissette on your way back to the ship.

I understand that taking the walking tour would get you out early, but I can't imagine walking around Cannes for 3 hours. If it is over by 10 or so you can still go to Nice. And, yes, I love Antibes. We used to live just outside the town. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2

We have been cruising, so it’s a bit difficult to post.  Regarding St Paul de Vence, we think it pairs well with Antibes if one has a rental car or car/driver.

The train station in MC is not in the most convenient location for walkers, so either do a little homework on the local bus system or consider a taxi (especially if you heading to the palace).  In Cannes, most will need a good 20 min to walk to the train station from the tender pier but much of the route is enjoyable (through the heart of Cannes).

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, Hlitner said:

We have been cruising, so it’s a bit difficult to post.  Regarding St Paul de Vence, we think it pairs well with Antibes if one has a rental car or car/driver.

The train station in MC is not in the most convenient location for walkers, so either do a little homework on the local bus system or consider a taxi (especially if you heading to the palace).  In Cannes, most will need a good 20 min to walk to the train station from the tender pier but much of the route is enjoyable (through the heart of Cannes).

Hank

I am looking at the La Petit train d'Antibes that goes to Juan les Pins as well. Would this be a good idea or skip it? I'm not sure if you can get on and off as you travel between the two areas. Any thoughts on this. And yes, I would love to do the flower market!  

7 minutes ago, crewsgirl said:

I am looking at the La Petit train d'Antibes that goes to Juan les Pins as well. Would this be a good idea or skip it? I'm not sure if you can get on and off as you travel between the two areas. Any thoughts on this. And yes, I would love to do the flower market!  

Yes, you can get off at both pick up spots. Read the flyer.

If you are coming back from Nice, get off in Antibes and get on the Petit Train there. Go to Juan first for a quick look around or skip getting off. You can see a little of the beach from where the train ends. Then spend time in Antibes after you finish the PT ride. The advantage of doing it like this is that you would have seen the main spots in Antibes from the PT and will know what you want to walk back to. 

Do the Petit Train if you have at least two hours in Antibes. One hour for the ride and one to spend in the city. If you have less time, just spend it in Antibes.  The advantage of the PT is that you get to ride around the base of the Cap d'Antibes and have a quick look at Juan.  I doubt if you will get any answers from anyone who has actually taken it because it is very new. But you never know. Don't stress about it. Decide on the spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Completely agree with Marazul's post on this issue.  While we have often enjoyed walking around Antibes, browsing the market, strolling along the marina, etc. we have never taken that La Petit Train.  Whenever we have visited Antibes, we had a rental car which we simply drove into town and found on the street parking within a few blocks of the market.

Hank

• Like 1