My Amber Cove Guide, Updated! Great tips and details!

JustinPlusLauren

I visited Amber Cove a number of years ago, shortly after it first opened, and I wrote a guide all about planning your visit. I've recently updated that guide with information about how to spend the day in Amber Cove, excursions you can take from Amber Cove, and some details about the volunteer excursions you can take that were a big focal point of the trip I originally made there (on the defunct Fathom Cruises ship, Adonia).

You can check out my full guide here! It might answer some questions you may have, and also help you plan your trip.

I'll include a few photos below from my trip to Amber Cove. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you might have and I'll try my best to help!

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Suntanz said:

Awesome review! Thanks for posting this. I debating whether to do the Falls with my 22 & 21 year old when we cruise in May.

I've heard it's amazing. I had it booked when I went there, but unfortunately there was flooding when I visited and it wasn't open. I had to cancel my tour. This is a pretty rare occurrence though so I'm sure things will be fine when you visit!

On 2/28/2023 at 9:30 PM, sailawaybellaluna said:

This is so helpful, thank you for posting! I think this has convinced me not to book a tour! 

Do you happen to know the minimum age for children on the zip line?

Thank you!

I didn't know off hand, but I searched around a little for you to see if I could find any information. Apparently the minimum age is 14, but I'm not totally sure if that's correct. I also saw the minimum weight is 80 lbs (and max is 250 lbs). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JustinPlusLauren said:

I didn't know off hand, but I searched around a little for you to see if I could find any information. Apparently the minimum age is 14, but I'm not totally sure if that's correct. I also saw the minimum weight is 80 lbs (and max is 250 lbs). 

Thank you for that! My teenager can definitely go and I will plan something else with my little one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, Atlgator said:

I am surprised that NCL is now using Amber Cove as their port for the D.R. ?  The Getaway has been changed from Puerto Plata To Amber Cove in May as well.

Can't get those big ships in and out of PP.  Missed PP on  Epic 12/21 and Getaway 12/22.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, JustinPlusLauren said:

I visited Amber Cove a number of years ago, shortly after it first opened, and I wrote a guide all about planning your visit. I've recently updated that guide with information about how to spend the day in Amber Cove, excursions you can take from Amber Cove, and some details about the volunteer excursions you can take that were a big focal point of the trip I originally made there (on the defunct Fathom Cruises ship, Adonia).

You can check out my full guide here! It might answer some questions you may have, and also help you plan your trip.

I'll include a few photos below from my trip to Amber Cove. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you might have and I'll try my best to help!

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Is there a beach within walking distance? I'm a female traveling solo so I'm a little nervous to venture too far.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:49 PM, ruru107 said:

Amber Cove is owned by Carnival and is only used by Carnival ships. Other cruise lines use Taino Bay. 

Norwegian also has ships that dock at Amber Cove. When I was on the NCL Epic, we docked at Amber Cove. Norwegian had another ship dock at the other location that day.

Edited by genealogyfan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/8/2023 at 4:49 PM, ruru107 said:

Amber Cove is owned by Carnival and is only used by Carnival ships. Other cruise lines use Taino Bay. 

Yes Carnival owns it but NCL Epic is going there, I have two cruises booked on the Epic that and it shows up on Amber Coves Ship Schedule even.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...