Live Review: Freedom of the Seas Feb 27-March 3, 2023

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Didn't know that seems silly for planes that they are building now, you would think they could land a plane no matter what the weight is onboard and anytime.

Not making me feel any better knowing this.

In an emergency I want the plane getting down ASAP, not waiting to burn it off or dump it somewhere.

Yep this is 100% true. A few weeks ago my plane was actually delayed by quite a while because they had put too much fuel in the plane for the short trip and we'd be too heavy to land so we had to wait for a fuel truck to come and remove some of the fuel from the plane before we could leave. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Didn't know that seems silly for planes that they are building now, you would think they could land a plane no matter what the weight is onboard and anytime.

Not making me feel any better knowing this.

In an emergency I want the plane getting down ASAP, not waiting to burn it off or dump it somewhere.

Landing gear can support the weight of a fully fuelled plane on the ground but can't take the weight of a plane landing on it. I'm not sure if that applies to all airliners or not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

SUCH a good question. I don’t think I would on purpose. Maaaybe again in this situation where it would be use it or lose it? I definitely will not be doing another shorter cruise though. I didn’t even unpack my luggage or blow up my mattress cover. With how early disembarkation is, and how late you get your luggage and settled in, it’s really only a 3 day cruise. I take that back; I might do it for somewhere cool, like if they did a shorter leaf peeping cruise, or the PNW. But given that I don’t love heat or sun, and this cruise was a ton of kids and drunk people (NOT drunk kids at least! Wait until the next few weeks of spring breakers!), and then all the drama getting home? It was worth it for the mental health benefits but physically will be a recovering for a week or two.

MxCatLady just asked to confirm I am still ok going on our May cruise and I am still stoked (though we will be bringing a small roller suitcase of food with on it). Honestly, traveling *with* someone who knows me and can support access needs makes all the difference. Even just in being able to pee in the airport without having to carry all my stuff with me and lose my seat each time.

I am actually keynoting two conferences this summer; one in San Francisco and one in Glasgow. Neither partner is able to take that time off. I’m trying to convince a friend to go with me on each one, realizing how exhausting the travel part is when totally alone. So this was a good trial run for those two!

Have really enjoyed your observations and am looking forward to reading what you have to say about my hometown in the summer! Happy to answer any questions you may have about Glasgow 😊

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Thanks for sharing @CatLadyFemme. I really enjoyed following along. What bad luck at the end, though! 😕

We will be getting off Anthem the day you board for your TA. We'll do our best to look after her for you! 😊

Oh my gosh! How fun. Would you be willing to scope out the GF situation for me? I’d love to know if 1) they have the GF Udi’s cookies at the Cafe (or anywhere else!) and 2) if there is a GF section it clearly labeled GF items at WJ, and what they are. No worries if you get swept up, but if you happened to have the time, it will help inform my packing. 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

Your review was wonderful.   I did have a question about the housekeeping changes.  I have a Jr Suite on  Oasis this summer.  I thought the changes did not apply to Jr. Suites and above.  What changes did you see?

I didn’t see any, but I also was in my room much of the day, so usually only got service in the evening when I was at dinner.

8 hours ago, allyfree said:

Have really enjoyed your observations and am looking forward to reading what you have to say about my hometown in the summer! Happy to answer any questions you may have about Glasgow 😊

I have so many! If I need things that are accessible, what are must see/do items (especially interested in not actual touristy places but just cool and fun and meaningful local things)? Any fun day trips or overnight trips from there that I should make sure to do? Any restaurant suggestions that are GF and veg friendly? And you may not know, but anything queer worth doing/going to? 

oh! Any what is the weather like in July? I.e, what outfits should I bring or avoid? Assuming summer dresses will be ok?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carolinagalcruise2011 said:

Thank you for sharing your review! I love your outfits & especially the teal dress!😍 Do you remember where you got the dress?

I’m sorry that you had a time getting home but glad you made it home safely! I love seeing the pics of your fur babies. I have 3 cats myself and they are always happy when I come home from vacations.

Yes! This is a Kiyonna dress (as is the black/ivory polka dot dress). They are a big spendy for me new, but they often have $60 dress sales on Black Friday and these two I got used on Poshmark. I am bringing a ballgown of theirs ($60 at beginning of the pandemic) on our TA. I wore it when getting an award at a conference last year and felt so swanky. Their dresses are well designed for fat women and femmes, rather than just upsizing straight sizes.E637269B-0E49-425E-A055-DE79743CE6C6.thumb.jpeg.7c986dd591d3eb0a060bf60a71379f57.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

Oh my gosh! How fun. Would you be willing to scope out the GF situation for me? I’d love to know if 1) they have the GF Udi’s cookies at the Cafe (or anywhere else!) and 2) if there is a GF section it clearly labeled GF items at WJ, and what they are. No worries if you get swept up, but if you happened to have the time, it will help inform my packing. 😂

I will do my best for you. 😊

By sheer coincidence, I am also from Glasgow, although I haven't lived there for many years now. It's a wonderful city to visit; the motto says it all: "People make Glasgow".

I'm sure @allyfree will be able to give you some great ideas. Mine may not be completely up-to-date as the last time I was back was before the pandemic, but there are a couple of places I always recommend to anyone planning a visit:

The Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (website here: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/kelvingrove-art-gallery-and-museum)

The Riverside Museum (website here: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/riverside-museum)

General museum page with details of the other museums in the city: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums (Note that Glasgow's museums are excellent and mostly offer free entry except for certain special exhibitions.)

Then you have the Botanic Gardens, which are lovely. You may find some of the paths a bit challenging but there are lots of benches where you can sit and rest. The glasshouses are fabulous. (Website here: https://glasgowbotanicgardens.co.uk/).

I took these pics in the Botanic Gardens the last time I was back (we were there in March for an event, so the weather wasn't the best 🥶)

P_20190301_151401_p.thumb.jpg.b20d2f9e950358324b2f080b4af9761a.jpg

P_20190301_151554_p.thumb.jpg.6ab93b75d1a8dce0db2c5ae259b94fb4.jpg

P_20190301_153650_p.thumb.jpg.a13fe7cedb1a9a2f8b5809cf2377d07a.jpg

P_20190301_154046_p.thumb.jpg.00362d94a7799a0e21899d50c010bc1f.jpg

P_20190301_154444_p.thumb.jpg.6b28c3909b9d6b225484376a2b2ebbd6.jpg

P_20190301_155354_p.thumb.jpg.326eb0b5f24da489115b040e4d6bf51d.jpg

And touristy as it may seem, the Glasgow City Sightseeing HoHo bus is actually pretty decent (Website here: https://citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/).

Hope those help as a starting point.

As far as the weather is concerned, July is actually quite a rainy month usually, so make sure to always have an umbrella and/or a rain cape in your bag whenever you go out, even if it's sunny. You can and should expect all four seasons in a single day (not to say hour! 😂)

Btw, I love your red ball gown.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I have so many! If I need things that are accessible, what are must see/do items (especially interested in not actual touristy places but just cool and fun and meaningful local things)? Any fun day trips or overnight trips from there that I should make sure to do? Any restaurant suggestions that are GF and veg friendly? And you may not know, but anything queer worth doing/going to? 

oh! Any what is the weather like in July? I.e, what outfits should I bring or avoid? Assuming summer dresses will be ok?

It's Scotland - we get 4 seasons in one day lol! July should be pretty good ... but bring an umbrella anyway 😂 

Excellent suggestions from FionaMG and here are a few more: A must visit would be The People's Palace - a museum dedicated to all things Glaswegian ... it's free (as are all museums) and in the main city park just a few minutes from the main city centre. Also beside West Beer - fabulous German food and beer with a great beer garden if the weather behaves - it's located in what was Templeton's Carpet Factory - a building based on the Doges Palace in Venice.

Excellent train services - those from Queen Street goes to places like Stirling and Edinburgh as well as small interesting towns like Helensburgh with it's connections to Charles Rennie Mackintosh ... all around 45 minutes away. Trains from Central Station go to the seaside resorts of the Clyde coast - places like Ayr and Largs (highly recommend Nardini's ... I know they have a GF menu but not sure about Vegan) - again, no more than an hour's jaunt ... all full of cosy accommodation for an overnighter.

The west end of the city (at Kelvingrove Art Galleries and Museum) is the trendy area beside "the" university - there are several in the city but this is my alma mater - the oldest and best, dating from 1451. Glasgow is also known as "the friendly city" so being queer won't even be noticed - unless you want to make them to notice 🤩

Will have a think about some websites that may also be useful ... I hope you're planning a long visit !!!

• Like 1