Help with next years trip

sddsddean

Need a bit of help from our colonial cousins!!

Next year (2024), my wife and I are flying into Houston. We'll drive north that afternoon and probably stop at College Station for the night. Next day (Monday) we'll drive a bit north of Waco to see the solar eclipse on 8th April. Thats at about 1.45pm local time. We will then drive south to stop somewhere around Bastrop, Brenham or Columbus (don't really want to go to Austin unless someone has a really good reason). This is the bit we need help with. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stop for the nght in that general area, preferably with somewhere like a park to go for a walk in the evening? Then we'll drive down to Freeport and along the coast road to Galveston, stop there for the night and then drive up to Houston Space Centre (somewhere I've always wanted to visit being a child of the space race!), stop in a hotel around there that night and then next day drive up to IAH to catch a flight to Miami and a cruise!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

Need a bit of help from our colonial cousins!!

Next year (2024), my wife and I are flying into Houston. We'll drive north that afternoon and probably stop at College Station for the night. Next day (Monday) we'll drive a bit north of Waco to see the solar eclipse on 8th April. Thats at about 1.45pm local time. We will then drive south to stop somewhere around Bastrop, Brenham or Columbus (don't really want to go to Austin unless someone has a really good reason). This is the bit we need help with. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stop for the nght in that general area, preferably with somewhere like a park to go for a walk in the evening? Then we'll drive down to Freeport and along the coast road to Galveston, stop there for the night and then drive up to Houston Space Centre (somewhere I've always wanted to visit being a child of the space race!), stop in a hotel around there that night and then next day drive up to IAH to catch a flight to Miami and a cruise!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Why would not cruise out of Galveston ? Unless you are doing TA? Even then there are TA’s out of Galveston . 

Edited by ssb

I'd recommend adding some of the more interesting state parks to your trip.  Palmetto state park is reasonably close (by Texas standards!)  Goliad is a little out of the way but is an interesting part of Texas history.  The San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site is reasonably close to the space center on the east side of Houston and well worth the visit.  The Battleship Texas is normally nearby but is visible in a shipyard in Galveston undergoing restoration.

If in the area, Lockhart is ground zero for Texas BBQ and worth a stop unless you are south of Austin, in which case the original Salt Lick is a great place for good BBQ and great atmosphere.

If you're going through Freeport, Brenham is a reasonable stopping point.

The area around Bastrop State Park is beautiful. I don't have a recommendation for lodging, because we're always camping when we're near there, but it would make a pretty place to walk around. But that time of year should be near peak bluebonnet season, and Brenham has a ton of places around for bluebonnet viewing. They have webpages devoted to peak watch and places to see them. Then tour the Blue Bell factory and get some ice cream! 

21 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Thanks all...I'll check those out.

Simon

More:

Moody Gardens

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston

Galveston Naval Museum

Galveston Railroad Museum

Galveston County Historical Museum

Galveston Pleasure Pier 

Elissa Tall Ship

Aston Villa 

Bishops Palace 

Moody Mansion

Turtle Statues Tour

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary

Carved Trees Tour

Carriage Rides  

Pirates Museum

Galveston's 61st Street Fishing Pier

Free Ferry Ride

Ghost Tours

Harbor Tours

Dolphin Tours

Sea Star Base Sailing Galveston

East End Natures Preserve

32 miles of Beach  

Since you are from UK be sure and look at The Bryan Museum . A lot of Brits love Texas History , Cowboys and Indians and Western Art 

Edited by ssb