iPhone, airplane mode text question

kuku77254

I’ve always gotten a cruise cellular plan because I do need to communicate back home despite the vacation. I purchased the premium streaming Wi-Fi, or whatever it’s called and I’d like to skip purchasing my carrier cruise plan. If I put the phone in airplane mode and have Wi-Fi on, will I still receive all text messages (from outside ship) or just iMessages? If anyone has personal experience with this. I’ve gotten mixed messages from carrier. 

I have never purchased a wi-fi plan and have always relied on the FAS minutes. I had no problem with iMessages but did have issues with texts not coming through, especially dual verification texts that need to confirm who I am...very annoying. 

You will receive iMessages but not regular SMS text messages. With iMessage through the ships free wifi however you will not be able to send or receive photos.  

Basically iMessages are web based and SMS text messages need a cell signal. 

I don't use it but I think WhatsApp might also work like iMessage in that you don't need cell service.  So if not everyone at home has a iPhone you could all use WhatsAPP to communicate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jimsig said:

You will receive iMessages but not regular SMS text messages. With iMessage through the ships free wifi however you will not be able to send or receive photos.  

Basically iMessages are web based and SMS text messages need a cell signal. 

I don't use it but I think WhatsApp might also work like iMessage in that you don't need cell service.  So if not everyone at home has a iPhone you could all use WhatsAPP to communicate.  

Exactly…and to add to this we used WhatsAPP and were able to send and receive texts to and from non iPhone people. 

Depending on the ship’s signal of course but we’ve never had a problem staying in touch while at sea. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jimsig said:

and SMS text messages need a cell signal.

Not quite.  If the carrier supports WiFi calling AND texting (many do) you CAN receive SMS texts over WiFi.

Android phones - https://blog.rottenwifi.com/android-text-over-wifi/

iPhone - https://www.howtogeek.com/229216/how-to-enable-and-use-wi-fi-calling-on-an-iphone/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kuku77254 said:

I’ve always gotten a cruise cellular plan because I do need to communicate back home despite the vacation. I purchased the premium streaming Wi-Fi, or whatever it’s called and I’d like to skip purchasing my carrier cruise plan. If I put the phone in airplane mode and have Wi-Fi on, will I still receive all text messages (from outside ship) or just iMessages? If anyone has personal experience with this. I’ve gotten mixed messages from carrier. 

iPhone to iPhone via iMessage (blue messages). Airplane mode always on. Cellular roaming always off. WiFi on and connected to the ship's WiFi . WiFi plan logged off. You may be able to send/receive iMessages with other iPhones. This is a leak in the NCL WiFi system (which was patched for a while, but is broken again). The ability to sneak your messages over the ship's WiFi without being logged on works on most ships. It may go away as NCL transitions to Starlink.

iPhone to iPhone via iMessage (blue messages). Airplane mode always on. Cellular roaming always off. WiFi on and connected to the ship's WiFi . WiFi plan logged on. You will always be able to iMessage. 

SMS texts (green messages). Follow up on @halluxposts. I am normally logged on to the ships WiFi via unlimited streaming plan with AT&T WiFi Calling turned on my iPhone and have never got SMS texts. But, I will experiment on an upcoming cruise. 

• Like 2

On Breakaway a few wks ago, with my iPhone in airplane mode and connected to ship Wi-Fi, I could text msg any iPhones, land or ship. The WhatsApp didn’t work at all. I didn’t have to use any of my 150 Wi-Fi min for texting iPhone to iPhone. We used the Ncl msg within the app for the android phones in our group of 19. The app text worked fine for us. 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Not quite.  If the carrier supports WiFi calling AND texting (many do) you CAN receive SMS texts over WiFi.

Android phones - https://blog.rottenwifi.com/android-text-over-wifi/

iPhone - https://www.howtogeek.com/229216/how-to-enable-and-use-wi-fi-calling-on-an-iphone/

This worked for me on my Joy cruise last week.  I have android and received/sent text messages via SMS to both Iphone and Android users with my settings at airplane mode on/ship's WiFi on. I have Verizon and an international plan (not sure if that has anything to do with it...just mentioning). No additional charges with Verizon.

• Like 2

What if you are not logged on to the ship's internet wi-fi? My companion and I are going to share an internet account so only one phone can be logged on at a time. Would we still be able to exchange texts (iMessages) on our iPhones?

Just now, Sunnyway said:

What if you are not logged on to the ship's internet wi-fi? My companion and I are going to share an internet account so only one phone can be logged on at a time. Would we still be able to exchange texts (iMessages) on our iPhones?

You can both connect to the ship's wi-fi...you need to do this to use the app...logging onto the internet is a separate step and only one of you will be able to do this at a time. Once connected to the wi-fi you should find iMessages will work.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I've sailed, I can answer my own questions if it helps anyone else. I upgraded my internet package because it was cheaper than doing a cruise plan with my carrier (ATT) and I wanted to be able to use data. I was on Breakaway and the wifi worked very well, better than a previous cruise on Encore. FaceTime didn't work well for me, even just audio but I used wifi calling and it was as clear as at home. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, BirdTravels said:

This is a leak in the NCL WiFi system (which was patched for a while, but is broken again).

you know, i used to think it was a "leak" or loophole in the system, too. but the same thing is true with a lot of airlines' wifi systems. in fact, the "leak" is so prevalent that united airlines now promotes it as a free "service" onboard its aircraft. you could always send and receive iMessages on UA, but now they're actively telling customers about it.

so, i think the limitation may be technology-based in some way.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 4:25 PM, kuku77254 said:

Now that I've sailed, I can answer my own questions if it helps anyone else. I upgraded my internet package because it was cheaper than doing a cruise plan with my carrier (ATT) and I wanted to be able to use data. I was on Breakaway and the wifi worked very well, better than a previous cruise on Encore. FaceTime didn't work well for me, even just audio but I used wifi calling and it was as clear as at home. 

I took the AT&T Cruise plan when we were on Celebrity last month because I was absolutely terrified of roaming fees though I religiously put my cell (iPhone) on airplane mode (but I have to remind DH). We also had the internet package.  I will probably do the same when we are on the Prima in July because I prefer to be covered than shocked when I get my next phone bill!

On every cruise I have been on including the Getaway in January if I was in airplane mode on my iPhone and connected to the ship wifi but not logged onto the internet plan I could always receive iMessages only. I imessaged with my kids on the ship and they had no internet package. 

BUT I was on the 3/12 Encore and in the same situation (iPhone in airplane mode, connected to ship wifi but had not redeemed my internet package yet) and I was reviewing sms text messages from androids. I have a group text with iPhones and androids. On the Getaway I could not see those texts until I was in St Thomas and turned off airplane mode. On the Encore a few weeks ago I was getting them on the ship. I was really surprised and have no idea why it was working. 

8 minutes ago, Fischmom said:

BUT I was on the 3/12 Encore and in the same situation (iPhone in airplane mode, connected to ship wifi but had not redeemed my internet package yet) and I was reviewing sms text messages from androids.

I was on the 3/18 Escape cruise and was able to send and receive messages (both standard SMS/MMS and RCS) using my Android phone and NOT signed in to the internet, which I ultimately bought on day 2 anyway..

• Like 1