"St John Eco Hike & Beach"

disneylover89

I have to think that if this is an excursion with NCL, there is more to it.  I read that Honeymoon Beach is closed down and should reopen in March.  If it is this desolate, I will have to rethink this excursion. 

Notice: Services Closed at Honeymoon Beach | News of St. John (newsofstjohn.com)

Edited by disneylover89

It reopened end of 2022, and they are open as of today. Somebody posted it on another forum, but I can't remember which one. They reported that some fees had changed already since the reopen.

Let me see if I can find that forum entry...

Unfortunately, most recent review of Honeymoon Beach is not good, because management is trying to limit where guests who are not spending on amenities can sit and enjoy their personal refreshments.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147413-d184538-r881544416-Honeymoon_Beach-Caneel_Bay_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

Most of the visitors who hike in with their own chairs and refreshments are land visitors, so if the review is accurate, management's actions may not effect day visitors.

As far as "the law" goes, it is my understanding that it only requires that there be access and that public property stops at high water mark. The beach above the high water mark and concessions are probably on "private" property which currently is not part of NPS. 

It has been a very complicated situation for over a year, sigh.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this thread as we recently went on this excursion.

We boarded a 2 level boat, the top was open air and the bottom was air conditioned and sailed to St John's. During the scenic ride, we were given commentary on what we were seeing.  When we got to the island groups were separated and we went with our tour guide who was a very nice young man. After signing a document, we walked up a tall staircase and began our hike to Honeymoon Beach. There is a long (felt like more than a mile) walk uphill and then downhill a rocky, uneven pathway. There are times you are precariously stepping up and down on huge rocks, avoiding tree limbs and donkey poop and a few times when there is a smooth walkway.  There are trees on both sides of you with nothing to see and it is a good thing because you really cannot take your eyes off the ground or you will trip and fall.  At the end of the trail, it opens up to an absolutely gorgeous beach where you will spend about one hour at.  We saw sea turtles, a stingray and a fish through the crystal clear water.  After, the hour is up, you take the same walk back.

I do not regret taking this excursion but would not do it again. The heat and humidity were intense and jumping in the cool ocean was much needed.  Sneakers are a MUST and the walk can be difficult if you are not in shape and or do not have on the right footwear.  There were a few lounge chairs scattered and supposedly a bar, food and bathroom a little further down the beach but there really was not enough time to explore them.  Everyone just enjoyed the beach.