Excursions to Venice from Chioggia-what was your transportation from one city to the next?

miami mama

Trying to decide if we really want to keep our excursion to Murano from Chioggia or not. For anyone who has done an excursion on Viking from Chioggia to Venice, what kind of transportation did they use and how long did it take to get from one place to the other? Did the time spent traveling take away from the overall experience? Would you do it again? Or maybe, just stay on the ship in Chioggia, walk around the town a little and relax?

We have been to Venice before but I have not been out to Murano. Really wanted to do both Murano and Burano but Viking is only offering the Murano and the Abbey experience and nothing more but the included tour to St. Mark's square. We are also staying in Venice the night before taking private transport down to the ship in Chioggia and not really sure I want to spend more time traveling back to Venice the next day. 

Still curious if anyone on here has taken a Viking excursion from Chioggia into Venice and can relay what kind of transportation was used and exactly how long it took. Hoping someone has the info on this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miami mama said:

Still curious if anyone on here has taken a Viking excursion from Chioggia into Venice and can relay what kind of transportation was used and exactly how long it took. Hoping someone has the info on this.

+1 on this.   We are doing an Athens to Rome with a 3 day layover in Venice and are trying to figure options that don’t wear us out!  mutant is on my wife’s list as well.

Edited by zalusky

I haven't done the Viking Chioggia to Venice or Murano, but it looks to be about an hour to 1.5 hours each way.  We will be doing this trip in 1 month, so have done quite a bit of research.  We were in Venice 5 years ago and did a tour to Murano and Burano.  Unfortunately, in Murano, we only went to the glass blowing factory and their showroom.  Didn't get to see the town at all.  Burano was very quiet and we enjoyed it, but not much to see.  We will be in Venice 2 nights pre-cruise and don't intend to take the long trip back, once we embark in Chioggia. 

We were in Venice last May; we did a Viking excursion to Murano and Murano (perhaps they don't offer it anymore?) and it was one of my favorites. We were there at the tail end of the pandemic lockdown, so a lot of shops in Murano were closed, but even still, we enjoyed it immensely, especially Burano, where everything was open and lively.

For a photographer, Burano is a treat to the senses; I've had a painting for 15 years by talentedIMG_0547.thumb.jpeg.e09d8ff783f6ceb68da33289f5249ec2.jpeg artist named Kelly Eddington (https://www.kellyeddington.com); it's of a canal in Burano. When we returned home, I realized that the painting is the same scene that I photographed when we were there.

IMG_4722.jpeg

• Like 3

Longterm, that is really cool. Love your painting. I think if Burano were paired with Murano I wouldn't even question what to do. I also enjoy photography and wanted to photograph the houses due to their multi-colors.  However, it is Murano and the Abbey they have chosen for the only optional excursion to Venice. If transportation takes up to 1.5 hours each way, I don't think it is worth it for us but still have a little time to reconsider. 

5 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Longterm, that is really cool. Love your painting. I think if Burano were paired with Murano I wouldn't even question what to do. I also enjoy photography and wanted to photograph the houses due to their multi-colors.  However, it is Murano and the Abbey they have chosen for the only optional excursion to Venice. If transportation takes up to 1.5 hours each way, I don't think it is worth it for us but still have a little time to reconsider. 

What cruise are you on? Our cruise next month is offering the Murano and Burano tour as well as Murano and the Abbey.

image.thumb.png.4d7d06548ce47ea94cab229678a143de.png

5 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

What cruise are you on? Our cruise next month is offering the Murano and Burano tour as well as Murano and the Abbey.

image.thumb.png.4d7d06548ce47ea94cab229678a143de.png

We are going on the “Venetian Islands, Murano and Burano” Viking excursion during our cruise in May. The description reads “Meet your local guide and take a leisurely cruise from Chioggia, passing St. Mark’s Square and the Doge’s Palace”, although it doesn’t say how you return to the ship. Does anyone know if the return is on a bus from Venice back to Chioggia or is the return also a cruise?

I've been able to get quite detailed information about tours and other land based questions from the Chat box people sometimes.  I've noticed that they aren't available 24 hours any longer, but they still answer quickly and stay with you until they get your question answered.  

• Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.da6b07bdee50fb3842a10b6ac255ec26.png

We travelled from Chioggia to Venice on the included tour on a boat like this.

It did take about an hour and a half each way but we really enjoyed the views we got of the lagoon along the way, and the insight into this aspect of Venetian life. It probably helped that we were blessed with lovely weather and a spectacular sunset on the return journey. Probably wouldn't do it again, but happy to have done it once. On the other hand Chioggia looked like an attractive little town (with an easy walk from the ship) even though we didn't have time to explore it ourselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

It probably helped that we were blessed with lovely weather and a spectacular sunset on the return journey

“Afloat on the placid sea a league away, lay a great city, with its towers and domes and steeples drowsing in a golden mist of sunset.” - Mark Twain

• Like 2

Booking just opened up for our sailing and I notice they have a day on your own included excursion that runs from like 12:45PM to 8:45PM and drops you off at Palazzo Cornoldi for the first day which we signed up for.

The third day has an early one from 7:30AM to 3:30PM.

No excursions are yet listed from day 2 which is kind of weird.

20 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Booking just opened up for our sailing and I notice they have a day on your own included excursion that runs from like 12:45PM to 8:45PM and drops you off at Palazzo Cornoldi for the first day which we signed up for.

The third day has an early one from 7:30AM to 3:30PM.

No excursions are yet listed from day 2 which is kind of weird.

Are you on a back-to-back cruise that overnights in Venice? If so this might be the day other passengers are disembarking/embarking. In those situations a paired down tour schedule will be made available to you once onboard. There are no advanced excursion reservations on days when guests are arriving/leaving. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Since we are embarking in Chioggia, I suspect our paired down choices are a reflection of that. Our choices consisted of 3 in Chioggia, 1 included to Venice and 1 optional excursion to Venice. 

image.png.2c7f428b7a168fd74a060ea9c356b56a.png

23 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Are you on a back-to-back cruise that overnights in Venice? If so this might be the day other passengers are disembarking/embarking. In those situations a paired down tour schedule will be made available to you once onboard. There are no advanced excursion reservations on days when guests are arriving/leaving. 

It's not booked as a back to back.  It is Italy the Adriatic and Greece but the way they do things it could probably be booked as individual legs.

However what you say makes some sense on the other hand It's Venice people want to make larger plans in advance especially if private tours are involved.

11 minutes ago, zalusky said:

It's not booked as a back to back.  It is Italy the Adriatic and Greece but the way they do things it could probably be booked as individual legs.

However what you say makes some sense on the other hand It's Venice people want to make larger plans in advance especially if private tours are involved.

Is it a B2B. It combines two cruises: Venice, the Adriatic & Greece and Italian Sojourn. Once onboard, those passengers on the combined cruise will be notified of available options. Typically it is some basic transportation to the city or a "highlights" tour.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

13 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Zalusky, Your choices make it look like we are on the "bargain" version. The choices you have are the ones I expected to have for Venice. 

Is yours the same date?