Carnival Cruiser Trying the Equinox...What should I know???

Super27

Price your cruise and see if a regular balcony would be cheaper than Concierge Class.  All Concierge gets you is a lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and some tired canapés in the afternoons.  Cabins are the same size as a regular balcony.  (Yes, it also gets you an extra loyalty point…but I still wouldn’t pay extra for it…)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Price your cruise and see if a regular balcony would be cheaper than Concierge Class.  All Concierge gets you is a lunch in the MDR on embarkation day and some tired canapés in the afternoons.  Cabins are the same size as a regular balcony.  (Yes, it also gets you an extra loyalty point…but I still wouldn’t pay extra for it…)

All a matter of opinion. We book concierge for cabin location too but would never try to influence anyone else on what they decide to book, not our place to. Each to their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

It was less than $100 difference so I decided to splurge for the first cruise. Definitely doesn't sound like it would be worth paying a ton more for though.

7 hours ago, Tierun said:

Celebrity is much quieter and laid back. By midnight you won’t see hundreds of people hanging out on Celebrity still partying, that was a shock for me in my 30s, but in my 40s now I just went on the new Carnival Celebration and it was not my cup of tea. My first cruising experiences were on Carnival and then I tried X and it became a fav. The food options are much more varied on Carnival, but not really long lines of waiting on Celebrity. If you’re ready for a more mature and relaxed style of cruising, you will enjoy yourself.

This is sounding right up my alley. The party crowd on Carnival has become a little too much for me when I want to really relax. Haven't given up completely on Carnival, I have an Ultra offer booked for next January, but at this point to me Carnival is just a gambling junket, the rest of the experience leaves a lot to be desired.

16 hours ago, Super27 said:

This is sounding right up my alley. The party crowd on Carnival has become a little too much for me when I want to really relax. Haven't given up completely on Carnival, I have an Ultra offer booked for next January, but at this point to me Carnival is just a gambling junket, the rest of the experience leaves a lot to be desired.

In this regard you sound like me, so I think you’ll love this cruise. Honestly I gave up on Carnival and only sailed on Celebration to try the bolt roller coaster. Now that I’ve done that, I won’t be back until they come out with something else that interests me.

Just took my brother, a loyal carnival cruiser on his first Celebrity cruise 2 weeks ago. He has another one booked. He loved the service and the attitude of the crew on Celebrity. However, he will still cruise carnival when he takes his kids with him. He thinks they would be bored.

I told him that Celebrity describes their clientele as "Mature and Sophisticated" which translates into "The old and picky."

He loved the shows in the evening but thought the daytime offerings were limited. Celebrity does expect its cruisers to be somewhat able to entertain themselves. But they are apparently very happy to give you shopping advise, as a fair amount of activities revolve around the ship's shops.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

On the Equinox (just got off and was in a concierge cabin), a concierge cabin also gets you an invite to the helpad for a sail away, a meet and greet with the officers (separate from the captain's club one), a destination lecture, priority tendering and a disembarkation lounge with continental breakfast. The concierge was managing the disembarkation lounge and was calling numbers way before they were announced on the ship-wide PA. There were the usual - key holder, bag, bottle of sparkling wine, embarkation lunch. The only thing we didn't get that was advertised was priority seating in the MDR. Select dining was an absolute mess, waits up to 45 minutes for a table, and it would have been nice to have priority.

I've been on the Equinox twice, 9 and 10 days, one at 35 and one at 40.

The biggest negative about the ship is easily the lack of stuff to do on board that doesn't require talking/drinking/eating.  There just isn't much of it.  The music is very tame also.  The shows aren't over the top either.  You seriously can struggle to find activities on a sea day so hope for an itinerary packed cruise.  I remember last year they brought on a new DJ at one of the ports because the guy that was in there wasn't really a DJ for any type of newer music, he basically played the entire song for every song for most of the cruise.  A new DJ showed up and the night club started to jump the final part of the cruise.

That being said, I absolutely enjoy that I can find a spot on the pool deck, or the solarium to just vibe out pretty much whenever I want.  The drink package is solid and the free food is typically slightly better than other lines, but that is subjective of course.

They could really use a fun area instead of the lawn upstairs.   Feels like that area, is underused.  Pretty, but underused, and a ship like this could use more activity.

Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale, you definitely are going to get an older demographic.  When I went last year at age 40, I want to say I was probably one of the 10 youngest people on board LOL. Ok, definitely one of the 50 youngest.

The most underrated aspect IMO is the value though.  If you take advantage of the OBC and drink package and internet and tips . . . . you really can feel like your vacation is all inclusive.  I bring my bluetooth speaker and turn it down slightly and away from people and enjoy my tunes and relax for the week.

1 hour ago, kdawg954 said:

They could really use a fun area instead of the lawn upstairs.   Feels like that area, is underused.  Pretty, but underused, and a ship like this could use more activity..

But where would I be able to lay down and grab the grass to keep from falling off the earth after one too many mojitos at the Sunset Bar?? 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdawg954 said:

The biggest negative about the ship is easily the lack of stuff to do on board that doesn't require talking/drinking/eating.

2 hours ago, kdawg954 said:

They could really use a fun area instead of the lawn upstairs. 

That's the whole point of a Celebrity cruise. The lack of the things you're asking for.

we used to sail exclusively on Celerity.  Not as long as many of these folks but we remember the last M ships and when the S class came out.  Talk about excitement!!!  lol

Since Covid we have pretty much sailed on Carnival.  Started because we were getting $60 5 day balcony cruises and $150 8 night balcony cruises.  Kept checking Celebrity but the prices were just more than I wanted to pay.   Recently found a decent 9 night ABC cruise on the Equinox with $550 OBC so I jumped on it.  Thank you Black Friday sales.....  lol

But along the way, we enjoyed Carnival and will go back.  The entertainment is very good.  At least 2 comedy shows a night which we like, sometimes 4.  Decent shows for the most part.  Food choices, Carnival is way ahead.  For lunch they have the MDR, buffet, Guys Burger, the Mexican place, a great deli, the Italian eatery (pay at dinner) and a very good BBQ joint..  Since no more free room service and a scaled back MDR on Celebrity,  the difference isn't that great anymore but the price certainly is.

Going to enjoy this cruise as we have a very large balcony, free Elite drinks and we are going to the ABC's... how could you not have fun.  But will probably go back to Carnival for price alone.   

Edited by Duanerice1