anybody heard about the missing crew member near Hawaii

laminar

He was never found. The shipped turned around and spent some time looking for him, but never found him...very sad. It was actually on the way home from the Hawaii cruise. The date escapes me now, but perhaps you will be able to find something using the search feature.

Marie

It was the Amsterdam and it occured on February 19. The ship was a day late returning to San Diego because of the search, which was called off after almost 24 hours.

That got me to thinking how I would feel if I were on a cruise on which someone fell/jumped/was pushed overboard. Normally, I would be thrilled to have my cruise extended for a day, but, not under those circumstances. You can't mope around, being depressed and upset. Horrible things happen all the time to people you don't know. On the other hand, I know that I would probably feel more than a touch of guilt at enjoying my good fortune.

I believe that at least one regular poster on this board stated that she was on that cruise. It must have been a real downer. What was the mood among the passengers? I would imagine that some were totally bummed out, and others were unabashedly happy to get an extra day.

Paul Noble

We were on that cruise, and I can assure you things were tense. For one thing, when it was first announced, we were told we could be delayed up to three days, which was very unsettling for everyone on board. Even those passengers who did not have jobs to get back to still had numerous details to take care of. I know we felt very uncomfortable knowing that the staff all had to be close, and really did not know what to say to them. And, of course, not knowing exactly what did happen was a little unnerving. Details were slow in coming, as well. And the logistics of everyone trying to reschedule return trips was a nightmare. All in all, a terrible experience. I will never forget the sight of the crew searching the sea with binoculars in the hope of finding him.

I think it was a (bad) story in the News of Cruise Critic (a button of the 1st line - starting with "Bargains" and ending with "About Us").

The accident was reported by Dirk van den Berg. Is he the captain of the Amsterdam now? Last year I met him on the Westerdam and before 3 times on the Maasdam.

My client was on that cruise.I'm her hairdresser.She said it was very sad.From what she understands the crew member was philipino.He had discovered that some of his family had perished in the mud slides in his country .How sad for some of these ones who work on these ship with limited communication with thier family.He probally was'nt aware of the mud slide had happened until he contacted some one at home.

We were on that cruise, and I can assure you things were tense. For one thing, when it was first announced, we were told we could be delayed up to three days, which was very unsettling for everyone on board. Even those passengers who did not have jobs to get back to still had numerous details to take care of. I know we felt very uncomfortable knowing that the staff all had to be close, and really did not know what to say to them. And, of course, not knowing exactly what did happen was a little unnerving. Details were slow in coming, as well. And the logistics of everyone trying to reschedule return trips was a nightmare. All in all, a terrible experience. I will never forget the sight of the crew searching the sea with binoculars in the hope of finding him.

Being a sailor who has been in this scenario and the fact I take my binoculars with me when on a cruise, I would have been one of those topside with my eyes seaward. It is not a pleasant time when someone goes over the side. In my case, we recovered our shipmate alive (in the middle of the night in the Med in the summer, all hands not on watch were topside).

Archived