NCL Canada/1new England in October

1island2go

Hi there! Wondering if I could get some help on this cruise. I am just starting my research. We will be on the Pearl out of Quebec City to Boston. We will be visiting Sydney PEI, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, and Portland,(not in this order). Are there any ports that you suggest are better to do on our own or can just walk off the ship and wander around as we are not big into ship excursions especially just bus trips. Also love good shopping for unique or locally made items to bring home that are special to the area. Any suggestions there?  We are currently flying into Montreal and on their air/land package but thinking we can do the hotel part cheaper. Hotel Recommendations for Montreal or Quebec city? Thoughts about one city over the other if we go in 3 nights early? Transportation looks like either the bus or train are the best options to get to Quebec city. I know they won't do transfer without our doing hotel through them.  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Edited by 1island2go

3 hours ago, 1island2go said:

We will be visiting Sydney PEI, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, and Portland,(not in this order). Are there any ports that you suggest are better to do on our own or can just walk off the ship and wander around as we are not big into ship excursions especially just bus trips.

Both Halifax and Portland are largish cities and very easy to just go off on your own with lots to do in town if you don't want to venture out. 

We are currently flying into Montreal and on their air/land package but thinking we can do the hotel part cheaper. Hotel Recommendations for Montreal or Quebec city?

In all likelihood you can and sometimes by a fairly good margin. I have no idea what your budget is for hotels but a good one for this particular trip is the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Centrally located for touring the city it also sits above the main train station and is only an elevator ride from the lobby to board your train to Quebec City. 

In Quebec City it might be cliche but I am a fan of the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac-- it's an icon of the city and has undergone a fairly extensive renovation. There are plenty of other folks on this board who found and liked a few other botique properties I'm sure they will chime in with. 

Thoughts about one city over the other if we go in 3 nights early?

If you are flying into Montreal I would do 2 nights in Montreal and then take a very early train that next morning to QC (which will be even easier to do if you stay at the Queen Elizabeth!). Montreal is by far the bigger city so if you want to see more than just scratching the surface you'll need at least one full day. QC is much smaller but can be a bit more picturesque. 

I don't have any experience with a bus between the two cities but have taken Via Rail numerous times and its fast and easy. 

Hi there! Wondering if I could get some help on this cruise. I am just starting my research. We will be on the Pearl out of Quebec City to Boston. We will be visiting Sydney PEI, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, and Portland,(not in this order). Are there any ports that you suggest are better to do on our own or can just walk off the ship and wander around as we are not big into ship excursions especially just bus trips. Also love good shopping for unique or locally made items to bring home that are special to the area. Any suggestions there?  We are currently flying into Montreal and on their air/land package but thinking we can do the hotel part cheaper. Hotel Recommendations for Montreal or Quebec city? Thoughts about one city over the other if we go in 3 nights early? Transportation looks like either the bus or train are the best options to get to Quebec city. I know they won't do transfer without our doing hotel through them.  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

We love to wander Bar Harbor, Halifax and Quebec on foot.

Bar Harbor for Blueberry Food items.

We loved the Auberge Place d' Armes for our pre-cruise in Quebec City. A great boutique hotel with a perfect location.

Quebec City is an easy walk around DIY port city.

Halifax...if you are going to do one excursion look into Halifax Historical Titanic Tour with Paul McNeil. One of the best private tours in this city. You can certainly walk about on your own but you won't get the history and experience and sites you will with Paul.

Portland is also an easy DIY port...don't forget to visit Holy Donuts.

15 hours ago, 1island2go said:

Hi there,

We are also cruising Canada and New England late Sept. Boston is an easy walk if fit. Or hop on hop off bus takes you round moat sites. Bar Harbour, if you want to see the colour changes. Acadia National Park looks good. There are plenty of private tours that so the loop. 

Halifax probably get bus/coach to Peggy Cove and Titanic.

Not dobe much research yet on the other ports. Life gets in the eay as they say.