Online check in, any benefit to when you do it?

irun5k

Online check in needs to know what documents you're traveling under.  If our renewed passports show up at the last minute we'll use those, otherwise birth certs.  So I am inclined to wait to check in.  However, we are in a guarantee balcony cabin.  Is there any benefit to checking in early?  e.g. are the worst cabins (e.g. most obstructed views, worst decks, etc.) assigned last?  Sorry for the stupid question but it has been a long time since we've sailed on Carnival.

check in has nothing to do with guarantee cabins

you can do the online checkin now and just put birth certificate. then when you get the new passport, you can edit the online checkin with the passport info

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

check in has nothing to do with guarantee cabins

you can do the online checkin now and just put birth certificate. then when you get the new passport, you can edit the online checkin with the passport info

Thank you.  When do they normally assign guarantees, and is there a way to see the cabin?  I'm not seeing anything in the cruise planner, but I'm not sure if it is because it just isn't something they show, or hasn't actually been assigned.

When your cabin is assigned you will be able to see it in your cruise planner, and your luggage tags will show your cabin number.  The cabin can be assigned anytime up until the very day you cruise.  Normally earlier, but sometimes people only know their cabin number when they get to the terminal.

Edited by nwcruiselover

42 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Other benefit to checking in online earlier is more choices of arrival times.

This is what I was going to say. I’d go in, pick my arrival time and you can always go back and edit your passport info. 
But as far as it having anything to do with a guarantee cabin, I don’t think it does. I have heard of others not getting their assignments until they arrive. 

• Like 1

Thanks, good tips everyone.  I did find my cabin number on the printable luggage tags!  11439, seems like a decent assignment.

I'll go ahead and run through the check in process to get an arrival time.  What times are available and what time I should pick is another story!!!  We are driving from Tampa area to Miami, this is actually the first time we aren't going down the night before for a cruise out of South Florida.  I've always been a little worried about having an issue on the drive down but  it does also simplify things a bit.  

If I put down an early time but we arrive later is that a problem?  I am assuming that is better than putting down a later time and arriving earlier?

Yes, putting down an earlier time and arriving late is better than putting down a late time and arriving early.  If you do arrive late, you will probably be sent right into the terminal.  If they’re especially busy, they may have a separate line for early/late arrivals, but from what I have read on these boards that doesn’t happen very often.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Sounds like you got a good cabin assignment.  What ship is this on?

Celebration.  Just went through check in, earliest check in was 1-1:30 PM.  Was hoping for something a littler earlier because I want to start driving down early enough to have time to deal with a flat tire or a child requiring an excessive number of bathroom stops, etc. which means we'll be there in advance of that time if all goes well.   But, even if we have to wait in the terminal a bit, at least we'll know we're there!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, irun5k said:

Celebration.  Just went through check in, earliest check in was 1-1:30 PM.  Was hoping for something a littler earlier because I want to start driving down early enough to have time to deal with a flat tire or a child requiring an excessive number of bathroom stops, etc. which means we'll be there in advance of that time if all goes well.   But, even if we have to wait in the terminal a bit, at least we'll know we're there!

Might want to consider Faster to the Fun if it is available. Cost is $149, but it would allow you to show up at the terminal at any time. I checked in at 9:30 in December with FTTF. 

11 hours ago, irun5k said:

The reason that only a late arrival time was available is because most cruisers who want an earlier arrival time start the check-in @ midnight the first day it's available. 

Then they go back and edit all their check-in information at their leisure. 

You'll know for next time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I always check in asap to get the early arrival time. I usually hit the skip button on the travel documents and put that in later.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know you could keep the time selected if you didn't finish it all. Good to know for next time. Usually I am up at check-in time but don't really feel like digging the passports and such out and wait until morning,

• Like 1