Airport Transfers

annmarz

We have a 12:30 pm flight out of Miami.  We plan to disembark around 8:30ish to allow plenty of time.  Does Virgin offer any transfers to the airport?  We would prefer Uber/Lyft but worry about wait times and difficulty connecting with drivers at a busy pier. Any thoughts? 

No, VV does not offer transfers except for mega rockstars.  I've read about people having problems, but we ordered an Uber (or maybe Lyft, I don't remember) just after clearing Customs and he was there 5 minutes later.  I've read of people having drivers cancel, etc.  We had NO difficulty at all.  It was maybe 20 minutes to the airport, but I guess that could depend on day of the week, etc.  

Miami was an easy airport....not as small as my home airport, but very small and quick compared to things like LAX.

Edited by cantgetin

7 hours ago, annmarz said:

We have a 12:30 pm flight out of Miami.  We plan to disembark around 8:30ish to allow plenty of time.  Does Virgin offer any transfers to the airport?  We would prefer Uber/Lyft but worry about wait times and difficulty connecting with drivers at a busy pier. Any thoughts? 

I would just add the usual top tips of;

• Download and install the apps before you go on vacation
  • Add your cards to the apps in advance
  • When you get towards leaving the front of the line for passport checks, open the app and check arrival estimates
  • See if there are any referral codes for an offer

The terminal building for VV is very small when you go through boarder control. You do the line, past the desk, and you out the door 10 meters later. The pre-booked pick-up points is over the Porte-cochère and to the left. lots of clear signs, but about a 5 min walk maximum. 

• Like 1

Hey there,

I have cruised out of Miami dozens of times on various lines, including VV. I have never had an issue with Uber. I will also add that the taxi cabs have mandated fares they can charge you that are published in the cab. Last VV cruise out of Miami, our Uber wait time was 16 minutes or so, and we elected to take a cab from Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport (30 min North) for a noon flight and it was honestly the same cost as the Uber. We got off the ship about 930am.

The point is flying out if Miami at 1230 you will have no issues getting to the airport even if you disembarked at 930-10am. 

Everything about VV and Miami works in your favor. You can walk off with your luggage 7:30-8. Customs is a breeze and  because it is so early you will miss the mega cruise lines disembarkation nightmare. Finally MIA is so close to Dodge island. 

I lived in Miami for 15 years and worked 2 miles from the airport. My friend is flying in for a VV cruise with me in a few weeks. He has a 10am flight but, being a Sunday, I’m not worried about getting him to the airport by 9. 

53 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Everything about VV and Miami works in your favor. You can walk off with your luggage 7:30-8. Customs is a breeze and  because it is so early you will miss the mega cruise lines disembarkation nightmare. Finally MIA is so close to Dodge island. 

I lived in Miami for 15 years and worked 2 miles from the airport. My friend is flying in for a VV cruise with me in a few weeks. He has a 10am flight but, being a Sunday, I’m not worried about getting him to the airport by 9. 

All of the above is true provided the ship gets in and clears Customs on time.  I've never seen or read of a problem on a VV cruise, but have experienced late arrivals and even later Customs clearance on other lines.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cantgetin said:

All of the above is true provided the ship gets in and clears Customs on time.  I've never seen or read of a problem on a VV cruise, but have experienced late arrivals and even later Customs clearance on other lines.

I agree with cantgetin, ships can run late. Our Seabourn cruise arrived 11 hours late coming into Ft Lauderdale a few years back (due to a medical emergency) and we missed our 5pm flight back home to Seattle. that was our only hiccup in nearly 50 cruises so we play the odds and book our flights expecting on time disembarkation. I wouldn’t recommend booking an early flight like my friend did but it’s a Sunday so I’ll get him to MIA in time (I hope;)

Most of the time, it works great.  Sometimes stuff happens and the ship is not always in control.  We came into one port where there were 8 Customs stations that we could see, but personnel at only 2 of them and a VERY long line.  The cruise line was upset as well because they couldn't start the next boarding till we were out.  We had a 3pm flight and I was beginning to think that we might not make it when it was after 1 and we were STILL standing in line.  I've read that the cruise line had some stern words with Customs over that debacle, but I can't confirm why it happened.  

But, similar to the above, we've done 45 cruises and I've only had 2 that were seriously late getting disembarked and out of the terminal.

Edited by cantgetin