Taxi in Antigua?

rgaudet

Anyone used taxis at Antigua, are they safe and reliable?  Would like to go to a beach for a few hours, have the same driver pick us up.

this a for a cruise on ovation in a couple weeks.  

thanks!

1 hour ago, rgaudet said:

Anyone used taxis at Antigua, are they safe and reliable?  Would like to go to a beach for a few hours, have the same driver pick us up.

this a for a cruise on ovation in a couple weeks.  

thanks!

See what you can find on the day.

It'll probably be one of those gut feeling deals 😀

• Like 1

Car rental is a great option here.  You have the choice of beaches, cafes, scenic drives etc. Last time we drove to Half Moon Bay, the best beach on the island, then to Curtain Bluff for lunch with a dip off their beach, then to Darkwood Beach.  You can also do the Shirley Heights overlook and take in local villages. English Harbour is very touristy and can be missed. Don't expect a brand new car, but driving here is a breeze.  

Easy to do. We had absolutely no issues when we were there late 2019. The beaches are lovely, and so were the people. Have fun!

we didn’t think about renting a car as Fletcher suggests, but I wouldn’t hesitate to do that either if we ever return

Edited by Vineyard View

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Easy to do. We had absolutely no issues when we were there late 2019. The beaches are lovely, and so were the people. Have fun!

we didn’t think about renting a car as Fletcher suggests, but I wouldn’t hesitate to do that either if we ever return

I’ve been using Antigua taxis for years, never found a good one yet.  I follow all the ‘don’t get ripped off’ rules but each time it’s disappointing.  Only last week at the Cruise Pier I thought I’d found an official Taxi Association driver, but I was wrong.  We agreed a price to Nelsons Dock Yard, US $35, and followed him. His  ‘taxi’ turned out to be at another dock a long walk away.  When we got in it was driven by his girlfriend, it was filthy and full of make-up, discarded coffee cups and fast food cartons.  It looked more like they were living in it than using it for a business.  There were two of us, when we arrived he insisted it was per person not total for the ride even though he’d confirmed otherwise at the ship.  I’ve never found a way around it except to ask a bar, restaurant or hotel to order you one.  Car hire is a good idea.

Miss Merry

1 hour ago, rgaudet said:

Thanks all. Can you rent a car near the port?

We rented ours in advance from Hertz which has a sort of desk right at the cruise port. It's all very casual, not like an airport pick-up.  

Edited by Fletcher

We've been to Antigua ~20 times on land based vacations.  If I were looking for a beach day from a ship  I'd find a quality hotel that offers day passes and ask them to set up a car service.  We've only had good experiences with the car services offered by the resorts.    I'm not sure how accurate the below link is but it shows resorts that offer day passes.  You'll have to check with the resorts.

We've stayed at Carlisle Bay 7-8 times, it was a premier resort when it opened but has slipped some, should be fine for a day.  People on private boats would often come ashore and use the beach, restaurants & spa.  Curtain Bluff (3 visits) has a very country club feel also a "luxury" resort. Curtain Bluff was one of the original "luxury" resorts in the Caribbean. They are both a bit of a drive.  Galley Bay (2 visits)  is closer and also ok.  Using cruise line comparisons, Carlisle Bay & Curtain Bluff are like Seabourn, Galley Bay like Viking.

This has no relevance but Coco Point Lodge in Barbuda had possibly the most beautiful beach in the world.   Unfortunately destroyed by Hurricane Irma.

Hope it all works out, have fun.

https://www.antiguanice.com/accommodation.php?cat=145

Edited by RetiredandTravel

We took taxis there many times from ship to Jolly Harbor. Never an issue. Lots of taxis fir return. We also stayed there for a month and taxis were great. There’s also a public bus walking distance from port and goes to beaches, etc. That works great too.