Canceling an excursion

MELSMOM47

1 hour ago, MELSMOM47 said:

If you sign up for an excursion pre-cruise is there any possibility of canceling once you get more information onboard?

You can cancel when onboard. The exception are excursions that occur on your first full day onboard. I believe you need 24 hours notice.

35 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I believe you actually need 48 hours notice.

And I've seen 36 hours.  So where does that leave us?

Viking rarely has tours on Day 1 of an itinerary.

Day 2 is a problem as it is less than 24 hours. Cancel before you leave home, keeping in mind that MVJ closes for making changes 7 days before the start of the itinerary.

Day 3 is the day in question. If you want to play it safe cancel before MVJ closes.

5 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

I just can’t get some details about some of the excursions before being on board. 

Have you asked here? You can learn a lot from past cruisers. If you are going to ask, I suggest starting a new thread rather than burying the question in this thread. More people will see your question.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And I've seen 36 hours.  So where does that leave us?

Viking rarely has tours on Day 1 of an itinerary.

Day 2 is a problem as it is less than 24 hours. Cancel before you leave home, keeping in mind that MVJ closes for making changes 7 days before the start of the itinerary.

Day 3 is the day in question. If you want to play it safe cancel before MVJ closes.

Have you asked here? You can learn a lot from past cruisers. If you are going to ask, I suggest starting a new thread rather than burying the question in this thread. More people will see your question.

It’s later in a 14 day cruise. Mostly I’m trying to avoid long periods on a big bus. I have several very small group/ individual things planned. I like your advice. I’ll post the specifics. Thanks. 

If you are trying to avoid long periods on a bus, one thing you can do is use Google Maps to check the distance/travel time between the port and the destination. That won't answer your question completely, but it can identify excursions where you will spend a long time just getting to where you want to go. I am thinking of Rome from Civitavecchia for example. Even without traffic, the ride to Rome is at least an hour plus a rest stop. You can use this as a sort of screening feature before you look at other factors about the excursions.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We board in a week for a 4 wk cruise and received an email last week letting us know that we should book any excursions on My Viking Journey within 2 days and cancel any we do not want.  Additionally at the same time you must cancel any excursions that are on the first 2 days before the cruise begins  as they will not be refunded.   We have done many cruises with Viking but have never seen this noted before.  We have had to cancel while on board due to illness but they were refunded.

1 hour ago, Ontario/AZ said:

We board in a week for a 4 wk cruise and received an email last week letting us know that we should book any excursions on My Viking Journey within 2 days and cancel any we do not want.  Additionally at the same time you must cancel any excursions that are on the first 2 days before the cruise begins  as they will not be refunded.   We have done many cruises with Viking but have never seen this noted before.  We have had to cancel while on board due to illness but they were refunded.

As dd57 says, Viking is clarifying the existing policy. Maybe there has been some confusion as to how things work and they want to make sure that everyone is in the loop. It is not a new policy but it has never really been publicized: MVJ closes for all transactions -- cancellations and new purchases -- one week before you board.  If you are thinking of cancelling a shorex on Day 1 or 2, you have to do it before MVJ closes to transactions because tours have to be cancelled no less than 2 days in advance.

Maybe they have been having trouble with folks not understanding how things work, so they are sending out  reminders. Now they can say, we sent you a reminder. We explained the policy. Not our problem that you didn't read the e-mail. No refund.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1