Italy, Adriatic and Greece

jc522

51 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Hobson1754 and Lorna:

We are also doing legs 2 and 3 next February/March (Rome-Venice; Venice-Athens).  We have some familiarity with this Viking Mediterranean segment trips schedules.   Last year we boarded in Rome and went to Barcelona (and then on to San Juan).   

Livorno (Florence)

This was our first port after Rome Livorno.  It is NOT a turnover port, but you stay overnight and have 2 full days.  We did excursions both days.  Day 1 we just did the included tour to Pizza.  We wanted to do Lucca, but it was sold out.  (This was back when you had to do Viking excursions - no independent).  2nd day we did the full day Florence tour.  So you'll have 2 full days. 

Rome

Rome, however, is just a day on Viking's schedule.  When we board in Rome (actually Civitavecchia), we leave that evening.  We met people who went from Venice to Barcelona and they did a full day tour in Rome that day.  We knew that if you board in Rome (ore disembark), the only way to see Rome is to do Viking's extensions or do it yourself.  We did 4 days in Rome on our own ahead of time - and loved it.   We took a car hire service (reasonable price) during the boarding day from Rome to Civitavecchia.  It took 90 minutes with no traffic.  Long ways.  Keep that in mind.

Venice

We also had friends who did the stay onboard in Venice (3 days in Chioggia).  Things are still in such flux that any excursions "listed" in Viking's website may or may not be offered.  Our hope is to do Viking excursions on day 1, perhaps do it yourself on day 2, and walk around Chioggia on the short day 3.  I'm intrigued as someone said Chioggia was really quite a nice place to visit, eat, etc. and not touristy!   Viking may/likely offer some excursions onboard on day for those who are continuing through (while some passengers disembark and others get onboard).  However, my understanding is that hose wouldn't be known or available until once we are on board.  People on this thread have also seemed to confirm this.  That's why we'll stay flexible on day 2.

Hope that helps!  See you onboard next February.

Kent

Many Thanks - look forward to seeing you on board

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

We did the Barcelona to "Venice" portions last April, and there is an overnight in Livorno. Rome is the turn around day, but not an overnight. Those of us who were continuing on to Venice (which unexpectedly became Ravenna for us instead of the planned on Fusina), we were offered excursions once on board for Rome. The included one was a panoramic Snapshots of Rome (6 hours) with a driving tour and one (?) photo stop, followed by around 90 minutes of free time at St. Peter's Square. They also offered a 10.5 hour Highlights of Rome & the Colosseum and a 10 hour Sistine Chapel & Vatican City. I don't recall the pricing on those optional ones, nor any information about the ease of securing spots on those two tours.

We had been to Rome twice before, so just did the included excursion for a relaxing way to see the sights again. We were there on Easter Saturday, which was an interesting time to be in the Vatican. Of course, there was no time to go inside, but it's still a nice view. We even had time to go to a pizza place nearby that we knew from a prior stay. Honestly, we enjoyed ourselves, but for a first time visit to Rome I would recommend one of the optional excursions.

Thanks for this. We’ve visited Rome on cruises a few times and also stayed there for a few days on a number of occasions but it is a while since we were last there. Will probably do the ‘included’ excursion because as I said there’s not much to see in Civitavecchia, unless some other excursions seem interesting.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, TayanaLorna said:

We are booked Italy, the Adriatic & Greece (Rome to Athens) for February, 2024.  Its a B2B with turnover in Venice.  Chioggia not Venice is shown as dock location.  Ten excursions are listed for first day with 2 of them in the evening, 14 are listed for second day - some same, some different, and no excursions are listed for third day.  Sail away is 2 pm.  Wondering what reality is.

Also wondering what your weather is like in March.

55to 65F. Not much rain so far. Nice with a windbreaker or lightweight fleece-lined jacket.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 9:09 AM, CCWineLover said:

Hi Hobson1754 and Lorna:

We are also doing legs 2 and 3 next February/March (Rome-Venice; Venice-Athens).  We have some familiarity with this Viking Mediterranean segment trips schedules.   Last year we boarded in Rome and went to Barcelona (and then on to San Juan).   

Livorno (Florence)

This was our first port after Rome Livorno.  It is NOT a turnover port, but you stay overnight and have 2 full days.  We did excursions both days.  Day 1 we just did the included tour to Pizza.  We wanted to do Lucca, but it was sold out.  (This was back when you had to do Viking excursions - no independent).  2nd day we did the full day Florence tour.  So you'll have 2 full days. 

Rome

Rome, however, is just a day on Viking's schedule.  When we board in Rome (actually Civitavecchia), we leave that evening.  We met people who went from Venice to Barcelona and they did a full day tour in Rome that day.  We knew that if you board in Rome (ore disembark), the only way to see Rome is to do Viking's extensions or do it yourself.  We did 4 days in Rome on our own ahead of time - and loved it.   We took a car hire service (reasonable price) during the boarding day from Rome to Civitavecchia.  It took 90 minutes with no traffic.  Long ways.  Keep that in mind.

Venice

We also had friends who did the stay onboard in Venice (3 days in Chioggia).  Things are still in such flux that any excursions "listed" in Viking's website may or may not be offered.  Our hope is to do Viking excursions on day 1, perhaps do it yourself on day 2, and walk around Chioggia on the short day 3.  I'm intrigued as someone said Chioggia was really quite a nice place to visit, eat, etc. and not touristy!   Viking may/likely offer some excursions onboard on day for those who are continuing through (while some passengers disembark and others get onboard).  However, my understanding is that hose wouldn't be known or available until once we are on board.  People on this thread have also seemed to confirm this.  That's why we'll stay flexible on day 2.

Hope that helps!  See you onboard next February.

Kent

Hi Hobson, Lorna and CC WineLover! We are also doing legs 2 and 3 next February/March (Rome-Venice; Venice-Athens). We will be arriving 4-5 days early  to spend time on our own in Rome and will take our own transport to meet the ship. If anyone wants to share transport from Rome to Civitavecchia please let us know

We will probably do the included excursion  of Chioggia on Day 1 in Venice if it is offered. On day 2 since those of us on the B2B will have the entire day, I'm hoping we can use one -way Viking transport into Venice (not sure if this is by bus or boat). We loved Venice and would like to stay into the evening rather than return back in the afternoon with the scheduled tours. It looks like a private minivan can be hired for up to 7 people for around $175-$200. We are figuring others will be interested in this option and staying later in Venice. Does Viking allow only using their transport for one-way?

Looking forward to sailing together next year!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fairydustca said:

Hi Hobson, Lorna and CC WineLover! We are also doing legs 2 and 3 next February/March (Rome-Venice; Venice-Athens). We will be arriving 4-5 days early  to spend time on our own in Rome and will take our own transport to meet the ship. If anyone wants to share transport from Rome to Civitavecchia please let us know

We will probably do the included excursion  of Chioggia on Day 1 in Venice if it is offered. On day 2 since those of us on the B2B will have the entire day, I'm hoping we can use one -way Viking transport into Venice (not sure if this is by bus or boat). We loved Venice and would like to stay into the evening rather than return back in the afternoon with the scheduled tours. It looks like a private minivan can be hired for up to 7 people for around $175-$200. We are figuring others will be interested in this option and staying later in Venice. Does Viking allow only using their transport for one-way?

Hi Hobson.  Definitely interested in sharing transport from Rome to the ship.  Initially thinking of 2 nights in Rome but realize that is not enough. No matter if we arrive at 8 am or 3 pm we are going to be beat.  That leaves only one day to explore.  My DH has never been there.  The last time i was there really dates me.  It was with a travel study group in 1968 and we pretty much saw everything with privledged access.  I look forward to seeing it through wiser eyes and more freedom.

Never been to Venice and happy that we are there 2 nights.  From what i read, people like Chioggia and also say the Viking transport is via boat, takes 1:20 +/- plus the ride is scenic.  Hope this scenario continues.  As far as day 2 in Venice, Viking has allowed people to stay overnight there so I don't see why they would not allow a group to return late.  Asking never hurts.    

1 hour ago, fairydustca said:

Great idea!

We'd definitely be interested in sharing a van to return to the ship on Day 2.  Keep us in mind.

Kent and Pam

38 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hi Hobson.  Definitely interested in sharing transport from Rome to the ship.  Initially thinking of 2 nights in Rome but realize that is not enough. No matter if we arrive at 8 am or 3 pm we are going to be beat.  That leaves only one day to explore.  My DH has never been there.  The last time i was there really dates me.  It was with a travel study group in 1968 and we pretty much saw everything with privledged access.  I look forward to seeing it through wiser eyes and more freedom.

Never been to Venice and happy that we are there 2 nights.  From what i read, people like Chioggia and also say the Viking transport is via boat, takes 1:20 +/- plus the ride is scenic.  Hope this scenario continues.  As far as day 2 in Venice, Viking has allowed people to stay overnight there so I don't see why they would not allow a group to return late.  Asking never hurts.    

Lorna -

We did 5 nights and 4 full days in Rome last November before getting a hire to Civitavecchia.

If you can at all make it work, to to stay 4 or 5 nights.  With 4, that's really only 3 days and one is a tiring day.  We did the Vatican on our first full day and were dead tired by 4 PM.  5 nights (4 days) is ideal if you can swing it.

Looking forward to seeing Venice.  All the people complaining about Chioggia - but since we've not been there at all, we aren't that concerned.  The world is changing.  Just the chance to see Venice and spend some time is one of the major reasons we are doing the B2B cruises.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hi Lorna, 

This is Fairydustca, (Denise & John) not Hobson, although Hobson will be a shipmate on this cruise 🙂. Yes, originally we were thinking of just doing Viking's Rome extension, but 2 days is not enough after let lag from Cali. Then we decided on 4 nights or 5 nights.  We want to take the train to the wine region south of Rome and that will be one entire day itself. It will be nice to not be on a strict schedule and be able to take walks and eat  locally. 

I hope we can work it so we get to spend the day and have dinner in Venice. Such a wonderful city to walk around in at night.

We have never been to Greece and are also planning to stay an extra 2-3 nights in Athens on our own because otherwise we will just be shuttled to the airport in the morning to fly home and not really see Athens at all. I'm carefully following this Live thread and so looking forward to this cruise! It's great to have other cruisers to collaborate with!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hi Lorna - think it’s CCWinelover who’s interested in sharing transport to the ship from Rome.  We are on Leg 1 & 2 so will already be on ship. Starting to wish now that we were also on Leg 3. Sure however that we’ll all bump into each other once onboard - this thread has turned into a bit of a roll call now 😂😂

• Like 2

Venice seems to be a BIG topic on the Viking Boards. 

We were in Venice for those three days on a Viking Sky cruise in September 22. We asked Viking in advance if we could leave the ship on day 1 (on their shuttle) with a carry-on and spend two nights in a B&B in Venice. Then the last day, we went to the Venice train station and took a cab back to the ship in Chioggia. The B&B was $225 a night and the taxi was $90. We look back on it now and it was worth every penny. When you do the Venice on your own and you are in the city for just a few hours it is a few CROWDED hours. When you spend the night, the city empties out around 5:00 pm and doesn't get busy again until 10:00 am the next day. That's when you see things like this photo. 
Venice242.thumb.jpg.a7b415e97f3c7f63bfe741f83be934b7.jpg

You can read all about how we did it on my blog here: https://jktravelredmond.com/2022/09/13/venice-day-1-we-get-there/ It has the entire story including where we stayed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DrKoob said:

You can read all about how we did it on my blog here: https://jktravelredmond.com/2022/09/13/venice-day-1-we-get-there/ It has the entire story including where we stayed

Loved reading your daily posts back in September, and that 6 months has passed so quickly. I got so many ideas of what we will want to see and do.  We aren't on the same cruise, Mediterranean Odyssey, but many of the same ports, so that you for so much detail in your posts and blog...and the pictures were fantastic.  We leave next week, starting point, Venice!

15 hours ago, fairydustca said:

Hi Lorna, 

This is Fairydustca, (Denise & John) not Hobson, although Hobson will be a shipmate on this cruise 🙂. Yes, originally we were thinking of just doing Viking's Rome extension, but 2 days is not enough after let lag from Cali. Then we decided on 4 nights or 5 nights.  We want to take the train to the wine region south of Rome and that will be one entire day itself. It will be nice to not be on a strict schedule and be able to take walks and eat  locally. 

I hope we can work it so we get to spend the day and have dinner in Venice. Such a wonderful city to walk around in at night.

We have never been to Greece and are also planning to stay an extra 2-3 nights in Athens on our own because otherwise we will just be shuttled to the airport in the morning to fly home and not really see Athens at all. I'm carefully following this Live thread and so looking forward to this cruise! It's great to have other cruisers to collaborate with!

Hi Fairydustca, CCWinelover & Hobson1754. Just went back to page 1 of this thread and realized it is not our roll call but a general one for the region.  Seems like we kind of hijacked it with making tentative plans.  Realized that Fairydustca and CCWinelover are on legs 2 & 3 like us with Hobson1754 on legs 1 & 2 for the February 2024 dates.  There is some great info here from people who have done it, are doing it now and will do it in the future. Thank everyone for that.  But maybe we should move our potential planning together stuff to our particular roll call so we can find it 6 months from now.  I have a feeling this particular thread will become many pages by then.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We were in Venice for those three days on a Viking Sky cruise in September 22. We asked Viking in advance if we could leave the ship on day 1 (on their shuttle) with a carry-on and spend two nights in a B&B in Venice. Then the last day, we went to the Venice train station and took a cab back to the ship in Chioggia. The B&B was $225 a night and the taxi was $90. We look back on it now and it was worth every penny. When you do the Venice on your own and you are in the city for just a few hours it is a few CROWDED hours. When you spend the night, the city empties out around 5:00 pm and doesn't get busy again until 10:00 am the next day. That's when you see things like this photo. 

You can read all about how we did it on my blog here: https://jktravelredmond.com/2022/09/13/venice-day-1-we-get-there/ It has the entire story including where we stayed.

There you are Dr. Koob.  I followed your Live posts from last year but now want to read it again.  You saved me from having to search for it.  Thanks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 1:53 PM, DrKoob said:

DrKoob, found your posts very informative (and photos delightful), and appreciated insights re overnighting on shore and back to back cruises, which I suspect ours may be. 

We are booked on Viking Saturn, Mediterranean Iconic Shores Feb 24-Mar 13, 2024.   Love to hear from other travelers.

We are keen to overnight in Florence while the ship is moored at Livorno, and possibly Venice like you did. The long day in Livorno is a Monday when significant Florence museums are closed so it seems a no brainer to stay in Florence overnight.  Of course, we would inform Viking but had not considered we  would need to ask permission.   How did you go about asking permission?  How long in advance did you ask?

4 hours ago, HDS said:

DrKoob, found your posts very informative (and photos delightful), and appreciated insights re overnighting on shore and back to back cruises, which I suspect ours may be. 

We are booked on Viking Saturn, Mediterranean Iconic Shores Feb 24-Mar 13, 2024.   Love to hear from other travelers.

We are keen to overnight in Florence while the ship is moored at Livorno, and possibly Venice like you did. The long day in Livorno is a Monday when significant Florence museums are closed so it seems a no brainer to stay in Florence overnight.  Of course, we would inform Viking but had not considered we  would need to ask permission.   How did you go about asking permission?  How long in advance did you ask?

Our local travel agent (a good friend) handled that all for us. They checked with Viking who sent us a detailed list of things to know and warnings about a lot of things, like the ship won't wait for us, not to expect any kind of refund for not eating on board for two days, etc. We asked about six months ahead before we booked the B&B,

On 3/22/2023 at 7:07 AM, fairydustca said:

Greetings Fairydustca and fellow travellers.  We are on this cruise for all four legs.  Definitely interested in a long day into night in Venice.  Look forward to connecting with you on the rollcall when you sign up to it.

17 hours ago, HDS said:

Greetings Fairydustca and fellow travellers.  We are on this cruise for all four legs.  Definitely interested in a long day into night in Venice.  Look forward to connecting with you on the rollcall when you sign up to it.

Is this code words for, "We are bring Dogs on the Ship"?

Edited by philw1776
  • Haha 5