Arvia Appreciation Thread

So we've finished our 14 night  Caribbean Cruise from Barbados on Arvia. 18th Feb. Saturday arrival. Flew from Birmingham. 

We had one of our best  holidays ever

Here's a summary

We paid £1,199 each for an inside cabin (booking saver rate approx 1 month before for 14 nights. We spoke to some people who paid £999 each for 14 nights  including flights 2 weeks before)

I totally understand people who don't want inside cabins but in terms of value - we've NEVER had such a great value holiday anywhere ever. Simple as that.

This was going to be our last Caribbean cruise as we've done the Caribbean several times now and my wife wants to try new places. Previously we have done Caribbean cruises on Azura,  Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We've enjoyed all of them but this one was right up there and value wise blew the  others away as normally we used to travel Xmas and New Year with the kids.

Before coming back we both decided we will book a similar time cruise next year on Arvia as it's just so enjoyable and such a great deal. And we will mix our holidays up at other times of the year and visit new places then. We can't imagine finding a better value, more fun holiday for winter sun. We would have to pay the same or similar for the Canaries!!

The highlights of the cruise:

The flights - tui dreamliner both ways. Complimentary drinks - spirits before the meal. Wine with the meal. Great planes. Great service. Great info from the captain.  No extra charge for cases like when you book flights nowadays elsewhere (negatives 30 mins wait on transfer coach on arriving in Barbados and when leaving as well seems to be the norm). I guess if not you queue elsewhere for longer instead at the cruise terminal and in the airport.

The constant food and choice (I'm sure it's not what it once was but it's  still amazing in terms of the options and the amount you can eat. Anybody new to cruising can't fail to be impressed). So many options.  The paid ones are worth the extra and are very very cheap compared to the outside world holidays we've been on.  A fraction of the price you would expect to pay when in the normal world!

The bars and cocktails.£6.75 to £8 for a Cocktail is great value. Good quality as well. So much choice.  We particularly enjoyed  cocktails in the  swim up bar on deck 16 (most sea days), the crows nest, Anderson's bar and at sindhu where they do spiced cocktails and you can enjoy without dining.

The entertainment. So much choice.  80 per cent of it great quality. The cruise entertainment team were very good quality this cruise. I've discussed many of the shows in more detail elsewhere. If you were inclined you could watch 3 different shows (maybe 4) every night. Not counting pianists! Each night there's literally 6 or 7 different shows happening at the same time. And something for everyone

The cabins. Spacious, well designed, everything works. Clean. We had overnight noise issues in ours but were given a complimentary upgrade to a balcony cabin as a result. Without the noise issues we would have been perfectly happy with the original inside cabin. When upgraded we barely used the balcony. Although it's nice to have we can't justify  the significant extra cost for us.

The gym and fitness classes. 5 star level. Simple as that. A big part of cruising for me. And despite going in the gym daily, spin classes and not using lifts and walking everywhere we could find time to walk I've put on a stone in 14 days. I think it would have been 2 stone  without the exercise!!

Having 2 breakfasts every day, lunch, snacks and then 3 desserts every night does that to you! Never did find time to try afternoon tea as well!!

The staff. Very well trained. Seem to enjoy being there. Always friendly. Can't fault them.

Now in 14 days if you go on holiday and go looking  for problems you will find several. Simple as that. Not everything will be perfect.

On Arvia though there are so many options. So many things to do, places to sit, eat or drink. Shows to watch. Talks or quizzes to attend. 

if you can't enjoy this holiday and then think of the value you've received then I doubt you could enjoy any holiday.

Anyone travelling on her soon. You will find far far more good things than bad things on board. 

Well done P and O. Well done Arvia.

You won us over well and truly and we will be back. Can't wait to see you again!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So we've finished our 14 night  Caribbean Cruise from Barbados on Arvia. 18th Feb. Saturday arrival. Flew from Birmingham. 

We had one of our best  holidays ever

Here's a summary

We paid £1,199 each for an inside cabin (booking saver rate approx 1 month before for 14 nights. We spoke to some people who paid £999 each for 14 nights  including flights 2 weeks before)

I totally understand people who don't want inside cabins but in terms of value - we've NEVER had such a great value holiday anywhere ever. Simple as that.

This was going to be our last Caribbean cruise as we've done the Caribbean several times now and my wife wants to try new places. Previously we have done Caribbean cruises on Azura,  Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We've enjoyed all of them but this one was right up there and value wise blew the  others away as normally we used to travel Xmas and New Year with the kids.

Before coming back we both decided we will book a similar time cruise next year on Arvia as it's just so enjoyable and such a great deal. And we will mix our holidays up at other times of the year and visit new places then. We can't imagine finding a better value, more fun holiday for winter sun. We would have to pay the same or similar for the Canaries!!

The highlights of the cruise:

The flights - tui dreamliner both ways. Complimentary drinks - spirits before the meal. Wine with the meal. Great planes. Great service. Great info from the captain.  No extra charge for cases like when you book flights nowadays elsewhere (negatives 30 mins wait on transfer coach on arriving in Barbados and when leaving as well seems to be the norm). I guess if not you queue elsewhere for longer instead at the cruise terminal and in the airport.

The constant food and choice (I'm sure it's not what it once was but it's  still amazing in terms of the options and the amount you can eat. Anybody new to cruising can't fail to be impressed). So many options.  The paid ones are worth the extra and are very very cheap compared to the outside world holidays we've been on.  A fraction of the price you would expect to pay when in the normal world!

The bars and cocktails.£6.75 to £8 for a Cocktail is great value. Good quality as well. So much choice.  We particularly enjoyed  cocktails in the  swim up bar on deck 16 (most sea days), the crows nest, Anderson's bar and at sindhu where they do spiced cocktails and you can enjoy without dining.

The entertainment. So much choice.  80 per cent of it great quality. The cruise entertainment team were very good quality this cruise. I've discussed many of the shows in more detail elsewhere. If you were inclined you could watch 3 different shows (maybe 4) every night. Not counting pianists! Each night there's literally 6 or 7 different shows happening at the same time. And something for everyone

The cabins. Spacious, well designed, everything works. Clean. We had overnight noise issues in ours but were given a complimentary upgrade to a balcony cabin as a result. Without the noise issues we would have been perfectly happy with the original inside cabin. When upgraded we barely used the balcony. Although it's nice to have we can't justify  the significant extra cost for us.

The gym and fitness classes. 5 star level. Simple as that. A big part of cruising for me. And despite going in the gym daily, spin classes and not using lifts and walking everywhere we could find time to walk I've put on a stone in 14 days. I think it would have been 2 stone  without the exercise!!

Having 2 breakfasts every day, lunch, snacks and then 3 desserts every night does that to you! Never did find time to try afternoon tea as well!!

The staff. Very well trained. Seem to enjoy being there. Always friendly. Can't fault them.

Now in 14 days if you go on holiday and go looking  for problems you will find several. Simple as that. Not everything will be perfect.

On Arvia though there are so many options. So many things to do, places to sit, eat or drink. Shows to watch. Talks or quizzes to attend. 

if you can't enjoy this holiday and then think of the value you've received then I doubt you could enjoy any holiday.

Anyone travelling on her soon. You will find far far more good things than bad things on board. 

Well done P and O. Well done Arvia.

You won us over well and truly and we will be back. Can't wait to see you again!

This has been a great review (blog). It has really got me in the right frame of mind for our Britannia Caribbean in December. Now looking to see if we can squeeze in an Arvia this summer. Thanks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

This has been a great review (blog). It has really got me in the right frame of mind for our Britannia Caribbean in December. Now looking to see if we can squeeze in an Arvia this summer. Thanks.

This cruise has whetted our appetite for more

I'm looking for Arvia for 2 weeks next feb in the Caribbean again

Alaska for August 7 nights probably with royal Caribbean 

And a 7 night May 20th approx cruise

There's a great deal on a Norwegian fjords 7 night at the right time on Iona but won't be hot. Not sure I can sell that to my wife

Alternatively there's a Greek,Croatia 7 nights with royal Caribbean same time. More expensive but I think my wife will prefer going for some sun again in May 

Will see if I can sell her the Norwegian fjords. I'm happy with a gym, great food and great entertainment which I know Iona will provide. Sunshine not the top of my list. Wish me luck. It's only £543 per person 7 nights inside saver cabin from southampton

£962 per person for the hot greek cruise for 7 nights  with RC

• Like 2

Good review.  I’m just back too and we had a great time.

lots of positives: food, entertainment, staff, ship….

I had two comments for improvements:

Gym - the spin bike studio needs better air conditioning.  I did a class and found it extremely uncomfortable.  I mentioned it to two staff who said it had been flagged as an issue.

The gym has lots of high tech kit by Technogym.  Unfortunately P&O don’t link them to internet so many of the features are unusable.

My other comment relates to the atrium.  It has a wonderful floor which would be great for ballroom and Latin dancing but P&O seem to have dropped atrium dancing on Iona and Arvia.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ElmaLee said:

Good review.  I’m just back too and we had a great time.

lots of positives: food, entertainment, staff, ship….

I had two comments for improvements:

Gym - the spin bike studio needs better air conditioning.  I did a class and found it extremely uncomfortable.  I mentioned it to two staff who said it had been flagged as an issue.

The gym has lots of high tech kit by Technogym.  Unfortunately P&O don’t link them to internet so many of the features are unusable.

My other comment relates to the atrium.  It has a wonderful floor which would be great for ballroom and Latin dancing but P&O seem to have dropped atrium dancing on Iona and Arvia.

I was probably in that spin class with you. I only missed one spin class in the 2 weeks

Yes it was very hot. But I also put it down to spin classes being hard work and uncomfortable full stop.

I can't say I enjoy doing spin classes but I feel good afterwards and I know they have done me good. Even though I'm not  loving them as I do them

I think there is an internet problem on board  full stop the ship have to manage. All those machines linked to the internet would make that even harder for them.

Their built in options were  still good I thought? That didn't need internet.

I spoke to a tech guy on last day of my cruise  

He told me that they have to share the internet out even amongst different cruise ships at times and that's why every 4 hrs you are logged out of the system and have  to log back in.  And that there are periods when the internet available is low and occasionally down altogether.

I was able to get a 25 per cent refund on my internet package at the end of the cruise as he agreed that it wasn't available at a good level all cruise

18 hours ago, swanseaboy said:

Oh. My. God. This review is music to my ears. Fantastic. I'm onboard Arvia on 18th March for the transatlantic Caribbean. I know I'll love her as I love Iona. 

Thank you. 

Us too - flying from Gatwick on 17th.

Gill

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this! I'm so incredibly excited to be off on Arvia on the 2nd April. I find cruising such a joyful experience - I worked as a cruise entertainer for a while and that truly infected me with the bug for being aboard. I almost dragged my husband onto his first cruise, which was our honeymoon, 10 years ago and now he's almost (not quite) as excited as I am to be setting sail shortly. 

• Like 2

At a time when the cost of living crisis is as bad as ever and prices for everything have increased so much - including fuel etc it's incredible that a cruise to the Caribbean with an 8 hr flight included can be offered at a price that beats any cruise deal we've ever enjoyed. And tips are included now as well??

This is why I think anyone who complains about the old days being better with  P and O are on a very sticky wicket

The facilities on board Arvia and the incredible array of options and entertainment available easily beat anything they've offered before. The cabins are more cleverly designed. The en suites better and more reliable. Technology and all the different options has improved the need for queues overall everywhere on the ship. (Still some glitches to sort of course).

For anything you would prefer to still be like the old days you simply have to accept that the size of this ship is what gives you the incomparable improvements of facilities and things to do on board compared to the old days.

The size of the ship and the fact it can allow so many people on board is the reason why we get the incredible range of bars, restaurants, entertainment and facilities on board at a fraction of the price we would all have to pay in real terms 20 years ago. 

I guess some of those old fashioned experiences available when you cruise are still available on much smaller ships with much fewer options to enjoy. But in reality on those ships you actually receive far fewer options and invariably will pay more to enjoy those options in comparison to what Arvia can offer you.

Arvia offers far more and far better value than any Caribbean  cruise P and O have ever been able to offer before. 

New cruisers and old cruisers should embrace the ship IMO and go and have some great holidays on her at incredibly great value prices.

If you can afford balconies and really do use them a lot - then pay the significant extra but IMO lose some of the great value and options on this ship immediately you pay extra.

Really there are so many amazing things to do and enjoy on Arvia we couldn't find time to sit on a balcony even when we were upgraded to one free of charge.

We've come back after 14 days thinking of all the other things on board the  ship we weren't able to fit in and enjoy!! Despite not using the balcony barely.

It's a very relevant point. Had we paid balcony prices would we be wowed as much by the cruise and value it gives is. For sure it becomes less great value for money? 

A couple we spoke to told me they had paid £2,700 each for a balcony in a place of their choice with £650 cashback (Something like that)

Over £2.300 more than us as a couple once cashback taken into account.

We  paid £2,398 for 2 for saver inside cabin

They've paid effectively £4.750 for 2

£150 per day extra?

We could pretty much book the exact same cruise again with what we saved not paying for a balcony and not choosing where our cabin was!!!

The other couple can still come home having a great holiday but they can't come home talking about such great value for money IMO

I guess we need plenty of people to still want to pay balcony prices though for the cheaper cabins to be viable on the ship.

And clearly people still pay those balcony prices in big big numbers on cruises!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We  paid £2,398 for 2 for saver inside cabin

Prices for Feb/March next year are currently £2998 for a couple in the cheapest inside cabin,  so you did well with your price. I guess last minute prices may fall, but that is always a calculated risk.

Personally, we would rather stay at home than have an inside cabin, and we will only fly if we can have PE seats, so the budget lead in prices are of no interest to us at all. 

We have paid well over twice the price you did for our forthcoming Britannia Caribbean cruise in December,  and believe it is money well spent, and better value for money than having an inside cabin and a cramped flight.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Prices for Feb/March next year are currently £2998 for a couple in the cheapest inside cabin,  so you did well with your price. I guess last minute prices may fall, but that is always a calculated risk.

Personally, we would rather stay at home than have an inside cabin, and we will only fly if we can have PE seats, so the budget lead in prices are of no interest to us at all. 

We have paid well over twice the price you did for our forthcoming Britannia Caribbean cruise in December,  and believe it is money well spent, and better value for money than having an inside cabin and a cramped flight.

I understand that.

My parents refuse to cruise if it's not a balcony cabin. They love to have breakfast on their balcony every morning.

Personally I feel I can get more choice of breakfast and enjoy as good if not better a view than they could on a balcony by dining  at the Quays and taking my breakfast to one of their outdoor tables

I get the bit re flights as well. But again if it's a dreamliner I enjoy that flight from economy regardless.  I realise there's no guarantee I will get a dreamliner

Would likely prefer economy on a dreamliner to premium on another plane tbh

Such great planes

In economy this holiday I enjoyed 2 complimentary gin and tonics at the start of the flight. Plus complimentary glass of wine with the main meal. We had dinner and breakfast on the flight back. You don't get that when you book economy flights on DIY holidays. Plus case and one cabin bag included!!

Its not really economy in normal flight terms.

Lunch and afternoon tea on the way out

I believe the meals we receive in economy are similar to premium. Obviously extra legroom in premium. Are their other perks as well? You get on and off the plane first I guess?

And check in had its own queue at Birmingham for premium that was about 10 to 15 minutes quicker than ours I reckon

I've only done economy, business class and first class in the past (albeit only once) 

Is there anything else premium offersI ive missed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Regarding that price. I will wait for it to fall hopefully.

We are self employed so can be reasonably flexible and last minute with our plans. We can wait til less than a month before to book something.

Biggest concern for me is making sure we can fly from Birmingham ideally and/or Manchester second choice. So I have to keep and eye on flight availability.

As we aren't  as concerned as others about cabin  location we can take savers and take what they give us. 

This is first cruise we've been given a noisy cabin. The deck supervisor acknowledged there was a problem with noise overnight and accepted we could move as a result. 

I think if we travel in mid Feb the ship will never be choc a bloc full although was reasonably full this holiday I would say

Plenty of families prepared to take kids out of school for a good deal despite the fines

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Again on the price. I totally get your choice. Depends on budgets and holiday intentions.

We are hoping to cruise twice more this year. We are also mid 50s and saving for our pensions etc as well as re-investing profits we make in our businesses

We have to budget differently to justify allowing ourselves 3 cruises in a year.

Our August holiday is not going to be cheap. Return flights alone to Canada right now are approaching £1k ish each approx. Before we add a 7 night Alaska cruise and then 7 nights doing something else after.

Our daughter is working in Canada for 2 years hence visiting her there.

Balcony wise we are up at 6.30am latest and in bed by 10pm at night. With a packed day in between. We don't find time to use it. Honestly we don't. We are barely in our cabins apart from sleeping. Lots of people say that but that really applies to us.

I was in the gym at 7am each morning and my wife jogging on the deck etc 

We go back to the cabin to get changed, after our fitness stuff, go out for the day back to change again and straight back out. When we do relax which we do a lot it's on a sunbed or on the beach. But not in our cabin.  

We dine early then watch shows/entertainment and then  just fall asleep early at night. So balconies we just don't have time to enjoy. Maybe that will change in the future. 

The one benefit a cabin does give us is light and nice views when we wake up. Or whilst we get changed. Can't argue with that.

17 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I understand that.

My parents refuse to cruise if it's not a balcony cabin. They love to have breakfast on their balcony every morning.

Personally I feel I can get more choice of breakfast and enjoy as good if not better a view than they could on a balcony by dining  at the Quays and taking my breakfast to one of their outdoor tables

I get the bit re flights as well. But again if it's a dreamliner I enjoy that flight from economy regardless.  I realise there's no guarantee I will get a dreamliner

Would likely prefer economy on a dreamliner to premium on another plane tbh

Such great planes

In economy this holiday I enjoyed 2 complimentary gin and tonics at the start of the flight. Plus complimentary glass of wine with the main meal. We had dinner and breakfast on the flight back. You don't get that when you book economy flights on DIY holidays. Plus case and one cabin bag included!!

Its not really economy in normal flight terms.

Lunch and afternoon tea on the way out

I believe the meals we receive in economy are similar to premium. Obviously extra legroom in premium. Are their other perks as well? You get on and off the plane first I guess?

And check in had its own queue at Birmingham for premium that was about 10 to 15 minutes quicker than ours I reckon

I've only done economy, business class and first class in the past (albeit only once) 

Is there anything else premium offersI ive missed?

787 is OK (I refuse to use the word Dreamliner -pure marketing hype) and personally prefer A350s or A380s, but obviously know that we will not get them on a charter flight from BHX.

We fly PE purely for the space.  That alone is worth every penny.  All the other extras are mere fripperies. Economy in a 787 is still economy !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

787 is OK (I refuse to use the word Dreamliner -pure marketing hype) and personally prefer A350s or A380s, but obviously know that we will not get them on a charter flight from BHX.

We fly PE purely for the space.  That alone is worth every penny.  All the other extras are mere fripperies. Economy in a 787 is still economy !

I have to accept I couldn't get as comfy as I would have  liked. 

In fact the guy behind me complained when I reclined my seat!!

Should have added the  in flight entertainment was really good. Loads of choices.

Same as how it's improved in the cabins beyond belief in recent years as well. All included in the price as well. 

Another advancement for cruise holidays. The TV entertainment options in the cabins. 

40 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

When we do relax which we do a lot it's on a sunbed or on the beach. But not in our cabin.  

I fully understand that, especially on a Caribbean cruise, when you are virtually guaranteed good weather. 

But what would you do on Summer sailings from Southampton, where it is entirely possible to have 4 or 5 consecutive days of bad weather ?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We paid £5,600 for 2 in a balcony with PE flights. That's for Britannia in December. ( watch out Wowzz, he's behind you ). It's a bit cheaper now, but plenty of time until final payment date to cancel and rebook, or perhaps upgrade to a superior balcony. If we stick with the booking as it is, it's pretty much what we paid in 2015.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We paid £5,600 for 2 in a balcony with PE flights. That's for Britannia in December. ( watch out Wowzz, he's behind you ). It's a bit cheaper now, but plenty of time until final payment date to cancel and rebook, or perhaps upgrade to a superior balcony. If we stick with the booking as it is, it's pretty much what we paid in 2015.

We have a wake view cabin (first time for us) and as these are all sold out, price drops don't really affect us.

Isn't there a danger that if you cancel and rebook, you might lose your PE flights ?

Which cruise are you on ?

The really maddening thing on a flight is when the person in front of you reclines as far as possible, and does not want to budge even for drinks and meals.   (Or a child behind you who kicks the back of your seat and whose parents are apparently oblivious.)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have a wake view cabin (first time for us) and as these are all sold out, price drops don't really affect us.

Isn't there a danger that if you cancel and rebook, you might lose your PE flights ?

Which cruise are you on ?

1st December. Last time we rebooked, we did it over the phone and the very nice young Lady at Southampton put a dummy booking on the system before cancelling our existing. She managed to blag the same cabin. At the moment the cruise is about £250 cheaper, but with £100 less OBC, so not really worth it.

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I fully understand that, especially on a Caribbean cruise, when you are virtually guaranteed good weather. 

But what would you do on Summer sailings from Southampton, where it is entirely possible to have 4 or 5 consecutive days of bad weather ?

Because we get up so early we would have sunbeds in the Iona dome secured on those days. That would be the plan anyway !! Lol

And for other views there are so many great places on the ships this size I think. Indoor if need be. 

We like nice views but we still feel we get them when we have time to enjoy them

Think I've  convinced the wife to go for Norwegian Fjords in late May on Iona. She loved a YouTube video someone posted on that cruise I showed to her

I realise a balcony would be nice for that cruise. Will see what the extra price is. Not even looked yet. But doubt we would be tempted to pay much more. What time does it get light and dark over there in May?

Anybody know?

Inside saver for 7 nights from southampton is currently £543 per person for two May 20th

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

The really maddening thing on a flight is when the person in front of you reclines as far as possible, and does not want to budge even for drinks and meals.   (Or a child behind you who kicks the back of your seat and whose parents are apparently oblivious.)

More reasons for flying PE !

• Like 1