Arvia Appreciation Thread

We've booked Arvia for November, we paid £2600 for an early saver inside , thought that was a bargain considering we paid £5200 for a balcony on select fair on Britannia back in December, loved having the Balcony but I found i didn't use it much, we were delayed over 5hrs on the way back from that cruise and got £1040 back from TUI, so this Cruise is mega cheap when you take the compensation off the price of the Cruise, its out 10 year anniversary this year, we got married in Cyprus and planned on going back there in July but that was working out a Grand each for not a great hotel, the hotel we got married in was £3500 ,so making this cruise our Anniversary treat instead, at £780 each it was a no brainer 😃

Cant wait to join Arvia, seen so many good reviews and bad, Britannia had bad aspects (mostly rude passengers) to it but we had an amazing holiday so can only imagine this next one will be just as good, the way i see it you cant please everyone and the holiday is what you make it, there's free food, lots of drink and more importantly (on our cruise)  Caribbean Sun ☀️, whats not to like 😃

thanks for your post ..

Kev

Edited by Kevstir
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Or just do not fly!

True, but PE, plus fast lane security,  and lounge access (I know you don't get that on a P&O charter) helps make the experience more pleasurable.  

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

True, but PE, plus fast lane security,  and lounge access (I know you don't get that on a P&O charter) helps make the experience more pleasurable.  

I quite enjoy the flight out to Barbados. The flight home.....less so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The facilities on board Arvia and the incredible array of options and entertainment available easily beat anything they've offered before. The cabins are more cleverly designed. The en suites better and more reliable. Technology and all the different options has improved the need for queues overall everywhere on the ship. (Still some glitches to sort of course).

I know that this is Arvia, and we were on Iona, but the only point on which I would disagree with you is ‘more cleverly designed’ cabins.

The decor was nice and fresh, but our balcony cabin on Iona was quite narrow. Very little room at the bottom of the bed. Also a tiny bedside unit next to the wardrobe which meant that it was a real tight squeeze when trying to access the wardrobes. Silly not to have drawers too. 
Bathroom had a proper shower cubicle but no shaver point! That’s rather silly too.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Silly not to have drawers too. 

Personally,  I think that's a great improvement.  No more being woken up at an ungodly hour (7:30 !) by the people next door opening and shutting every drawer twice.

How long does it take to find a pair of socks ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Personally,  I think that's a great improvement.  No more being woken up at an ungodly hour (7:30 !) by the people next door opening and shutting every drawer twice.

How long does it take to find a pair of socks ?

It’s nice having drawers for paperwork, medication, jewellery etc. Makes the place look tidier too.

We must have been lucky - never heard drawers being opened and shut! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I know that this is Arvia, and we were on Iona, but the only point on which I would disagree with you is ‘more cleverly designed’ cabins.

The decor was nice and fresh, but our balcony cabin on Iona was quite narrow. Very little room at the bottom of the bed. Also a tiny bedside unit next to the wardrobe which meant that it was a real tight squeeze when trying to access the wardrobes. Silly not to have drawers too. 
Bathroom had a proper shower cubicle but no shaver point! That’s rather silly too.  

To us the space in the bedrooms and bathrooms seemed bigger than  when we've  cruised before but I may just have imagined that

Probably because we didn't  have kids getting in the way everywhere as well!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevstir said:

We've booked Arvia for November, we paid £2600 for an early saver inside , thought that was a bargain considering we paid £5200 for a balcony on select fair on Britannia back in December, loved having the Balcony but I found i didn't use it much, we were delayed over 5hrs on the way back from that cruise and got £1040 back from TUI, so this Cruise is mega cheap when you take the compensation off the price of the Cruise, its out 10 year anniversary this year, we got married in Cyprus and planned on going back there in July but that was working out a Grand each for not a great hotel, the hotel we got married in was £3500 ,so making this cruise our Anniversary treat instead, at £780 each it was a no brainer 😃

Cant wait to join Arvia, seen so many good reviews and bad, Britannia had bad aspects (mostly rude passengers) to it but we had an amazing holiday so can only imagine this next one will be just as good, the way i see it you cant please everyone and the holiday is what you make it, there's free food, lots of drink and more importantly (on our cruise)  Caribbean Sun ☀️, whats not to like 😃

thanks for your post ..

Kev

I think November should be a great time to go

The ship won't have too many kids on board and won't be overly full etc

Arvia is big enough to ensure if you find places with rude customers you can find plenty of other places not to have to bump into them again

There were so few queues for anything on our cruise I didnt face any rudeness from anyone in that respect. Most I queued behind for anything in the buffet was 3 or 4 people at the worst. Mostly didn't queue at all. 

We didn't use the lifts so that avoided lots or potential issues I guess.

And we faced one queue for Limelight Club where it does pay to get there early as they allocate the best tables near the front on first come first served basis.  We were at the back as didn't realise that before. Still had a great night in there and as I've said in my thread the food was really great that night as well. Close to epicurean standard if not as good

I realise rudeness isn't restricted to queues of course

Never put in my thread but no longer having to do muster drills is a huge improvement. Other than find your muster station as most will be used to by now. Embarkation was smooth. Disembarkation was smooth. The immigration check out we had to do the day before we disembarked also very smooth and well organised. 

Think it's been a good blog, showing Arvia can be a great destination. Food and entertainment to suit everyone. 

Pays to book ahead what ever you can especially restaurants. 

I think Arvia offers great value, whether you go inside , have a balcony,  or a suite. We all have our own budgets and preferences.  What ever they are, Arvia has something to offer. 

It's no good arguing , economy is better value PE , or PE is better value than business.  Or an inside is better value than a suite. If you can afford it and enjoy it it is good value. That is what Arvia offers at all price points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Because we get up so early we would have sunbeds in the Iona dome secured on those days. That would be the plan anyway !! Lol

And for other views there are so many great places on the ships this size I think. Indoor if need be. 

We like nice views but we still feel we get them when we have time to enjoy them

Think I've  convinced the wife to go for Norwegian Fjords in late May on Iona. She loved a YouTube video someone posted on that cruise I showed to her

I realise a balcony would be nice for that cruise. Will see what the extra price is. Not even looked yet. But doubt we would be tempted to pay much more. What time does it get light and dark over there in May?

Anybody know?

Inside saver for 7 nights from southampton is currently £543 per person for two May 20th

Late May is almost midsummer, so you have very long days, but I guess Mr Google will have the exact sunrise and sunset times.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Think it's been a good blog, showing Arvia can be a great destination. Food and entertainment to suit everyone. 

Pays to book ahead what ever you can especially restaurants. 

I think Arvia offers great value, whether you go inside , have a balcony,  or a suite. We all have our own budgets and preferences.  What ever they are, Arvia has something to offer. 

It's no good arguing , economy is better value PE , or PE is better value than business.  Or an inside is better value than a suite. If you can afford it and enjoy it it is good value. That is what Arvia offers at all price points.

We found easiest way to plan ahead was book our shows in advance and then sort dining with the shows in mind.

We personally prefer the 8.30pm timeslot for shows and dining before. 

If that works for others then 6pm dining  slots are easy to come by anywhere you like. Even places that show as sold out if you ask. 

I realise 6pm dining won't work for everyone.

We dined, we had cocktails then went to a show

Very relaxed for us with  those timings

Getting up early meant we had early breakfast and lunch at 12pm on seadays

So we were ready  to eat by 6pm despite the odd snack in between!

Port days we were out early but back by 3pm or 4pm for an hour or two sunbathing before getting ready and then dinner

I think when you want tables between 7pm and 8.30pm you have to book far more in advance  and won't always get what you want. Plus when you speak to restaurant managers they can't help for those timeslots when soldout

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Late May is almost midsummer, so you have very long days, but I guess Mr Google will have the exact sunrise and sunset times.

Didn't realise it was midsummer there then

I've checked and it's very early sunrises and late sunsets as you say

It also says it's when waterfalls are at their most impressive

I've started a new thread to ask more about what to expect

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Prices for Feb/March next year are currently £2998 for a couple in the cheapest inside cabin,  so you did well with your price. I guess last minute prices may fall, but that is always a calculated risk.

Personally, we would rather stay at home than have an inside cabin, and we will only fly if we can have PE seats, so the budget lead in prices are of no interest to us at all. 

We have paid well over twice the price you did for our forthcoming Britannia Caribbean cruise in December,  and believe it is money well spent, and better value for money than having an inside cabin and a cramped flight.

Will be interesting to see if that price above falls or not

I imagine many who booked this year will book again plus the world is getting back to normal and people will be more confident to book ahead

The price discrepancy between inside and balcony cabins not nearly as big as it was 

But  will see if it changes over time

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our first Fjords cruise was in June. Clever Mr Google told me it was only ' proper ' dark for about one hour at night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

1st December. Last time we rebooked, we did it over the phone and the very nice young Lady at Southampton put a dummy booking on the system before cancelling our existing. She managed to blag the same cabin. At the moment the cruise is about £250 cheaper, but with £100 less OBC, so not really worth it.

Today's new pricing. It's now £700 cheaper, but the £700 OBC has gone. Makes the comparison easier.😉

Great review. Thanks for posting. We are due to go on her in Aug for two weeks and cant wait. Totally agree with you about inside rooms. For the ammount of time we use the balcony, booking one is not cost effective for us, so inside rooms all the way. 

We recently went to the US on a A380 and it was great. Up deck cattle class but still plenty of room. Never had any issues with people laying back in the seat in front, but if they didnt move id just keep on hitting the seat. 

P & O value is so much better then RCL who we often cruise with. However having a 9yr old we are limited to time of year we cruise. School holidays £££££££. Even so P & O are so much more cost effective. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:55 AM, wowzz said:

We have a wake view cabin (first time for us) and as these are all sold out, price drops don't really affect us.

Isn't there a danger that if you cancel and rebook, you might lose your PE flights ?

Which cruise are you on ?

We've booked a wake view cabin for next Jan on Arvia,  As you say these sell out fast but to me and for the price its exceptional for two weeks in the Caribbean in our winter with that million dollar view. 

With the OBC we didn't pay much more for a last minute saver for the same cruise on Arvia this year and were allocated a BC on the dreaded deck 8 😩...

I love a proper balcony mind, we always have one, to me its an extension of the cabin and I spend loads of time on there but I understand others using the savings elsewhere. For me its my own private space away from the hustle and bustle, looking at the stars etc and yes breakfasts on the balcony are special. Likewise sleeping with the door open (in decent weather). 

All good stuff.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, doog442 said:

I love a proper balcony mind, we always have one, to me its an extension of the cabin and I spend loads of time on there but I understand others using the savings elsewhere. For me its my own private space away from the hustle and bustle, looking at the stars etc and yes breakfasts on the balcony are special. Likewise sleeping with the door open (in decent weather). 

Agree with everything you say, apart from keeping the balcony doors open. 

Arvia may be different, but normally you are asked to keep your balcony doors shut, as leaving them open causes air conditioning issues for adjoining cabins,  and also means that the higher interior air pressure system (part of the fire prevention system) is compromised.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Agree with everything you say, apart from keeping the balcony doors open. 

Arvia may be different, but normally you are asked to keep your balcony doors shut, as leaving them open causes air conditioning issues for adjoining cabins,  and also means that the higher interior air pressure system (part of the fire prevention system) is compromised.

Oops I better go sit on the naughty step then 😉

We only do warm weather cruises and its always open unless we leave the cabin or bad weather, one of our main reasons for booking a BC. The better half struggles with air con so thats usually off and door open. I'm surprised if the fire system is compromised you see so many BC doors open on port days. That said I'm not arguing, I've seen the 8 page thread on another thread and trust me I'm not going down that rabbit hole. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

Oops I better go sit on the naughty step then 😉

We only do warm weather cruises and its always open unless we leave the cabin or bad weather, one of our main reasons for booking a BC. The better half struggles with air con so thats usually off and door open. I'm surprised if the fire system is compromised you see so many BC doors open on port days. That said I'm not arguing, I've seen the 8 page thread on another thread and trust me I'm not going down that rabbit hole. 

Most ships you cannot turn the aircon off, you can only adjust the temp setting. 

• Like 1