Getting from Dover to Cambridge

Eli_6

So, I am departing a cruise (with my family) on June 9th to Dover.  I went on another cruise last year on this same boat and we had to be off the boat super early...like 6 in the morning.  I have an appointment that afternoon to look at a manuscript at the Parker Library at Corpus Christi College at Cambridge for my dissertation. (I am studying medieval history.) 

My plan was to take the train from Dover Priory to St. Pancras and then take another from there to Cambridge.  It appears the Parker Library is only about a mile from the train station so I figured I could either take a taxi or walk and my husband and kids could either check into a hotel (I thought the Clayton hotel looked nice) or go check out the Botanical Gardens while I did my research.  I have sailed into/out of Dover before, but I have never been to Cambridge before.  So, is my plan a good plan of action for getting from Dover to Cambridge?  Is there anything else that my husband and children might do in the city to entertain themselves for a few hours?  Any must see sites in Cambridge?  My children will be 9 and 10.  

Alternatively, would we be better off renting a car?  My only concern with this is that often if you don't return the car to the same place you got it from (i.e. Dover), they charge a huge fee.  My husband has driven all over England and Scotland (including in London) so I don't worry about his driving ability. I have some concerns because every time we have been in the UK, there have been issues with the trains.  Once there was a strike. Last year, they shut them down due to the heat when we were there.  And another time (in 2018) we were on a train and a man jumped in front of it and they stopped the train and we had to get off in the middle of nowhere.  I am told that train interruptions are not normal and we have just been the victims of extremely bad luck...but I don't want to plan on taking the train and then it turn out the trains aren't running.    

1. I'd definitely go with the train - frequent services on both lines, and yes you appear to have been very unlucky! Cambridge is very car unfriendly, you'd need ti use a park and ride. 

In a sense, Cambridge IS the must see site in Cambridge, but I don't have kids. Maybe they might enjoy punting or the Zoological Museum?

Train will be simpler.  You seem to have been unlucky.

On this sort of route, ticker prices vary by time of day.  If you do get off your cruise very early (on a weekday), your only option will be the (most expensive) "anytime" fare.  If you can delay leaving Dover until after (approx) 0900, you have cheaper "off peak" options.  Speak to the ticket clerk as the "groupsave" fare may also save money.

If you do leave Dover early (and hence have to buy an anytime fare), only but to London.  Buy the ticker for the second stage in London (by which time you will qualify for a cheaper fare).

Fast trains from Dover arrive at St Pancras, which is side by side with Kings Cross.  Trains to Cambridge leave from both stations.  The fares are the same.  If aren't sure which station the next departure is from, the station staff can quickly check.

Yes, things do go wrong with the trains. There are fairly regular strikes at the moment.

BUT - driving from Dover to Cambridge involves using the notorious M25 London orbital motorway, including the Dartford Tunnel under the Thames where there are ALWAYS delays, plus you have to remember to pay a toll online afterwards. And, as mentioned above, Cambridge is not at all car-friendly.

So on balance I’d also say take the train. The ‘high speed’ service from Dover to St Pancras runs hourly, then St Pancras to Cambridge is half hourly (or also half hourly, and faster, from King’s Cross across the street).