How to Transfer from Venice to the Port of Chioggia to meet our ship??

Lindabee5000

We are 3 couples that will spend a few days in Venice before boarding our Azamara cruise in May. We just noticed that our port of embarkation is Chioggia.

Any recommendations or ideas of how to get to that port, the date of embarkation. Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Hi.  We are also boarding our Azamara Onward cruise from Chioggia. On May 13.  We were told that Azamara would have buses from Venice to Chioggia at 27 euros or dollars. I don’t remember.  From Piazzale Roma.  At 12. 12:30 and 1:30.    You have to book this in advance w/ Azamara or your TA.   I hope this helps!  
What date is your cruise ? 
Isabel 

If you're in Venice itself, then it makes sense to take the Azamara transfer from Tronchetto to Chioggia, as there is no option that doesn't involve a change of transport, and you have to do that near the Tronchetto Cruise terminal.

If you're on the mainland (in Mestre or similar), then you have the possibility of a taxi or private transfer for the full route.  For us, booking a van-sized taxi that is normally based in Chioggia (and so less prone to silly Venice prices), was also cheaper than the Azamara transfer once we'd teamed up with others through our CC Roll Call.

There's also the Linea 80 (from Venice) or Linea 85 (from Marco Polo Airport) public bus, with a short taxi from their terminus in Sottomarina to the shop.

3 hours ago, Lindabee5000 said:

Great information here.   Would you have the name of the transport company that you and your group used? The one based in Chioggia 

I'm travelling next month, so haven't used it yet and so don't want to give an explicit recommendation.  I just Googled "taxi sottomarina" and picked one that had a van.

• Thanks 1

The cheapest option is vaporetto (water bus) when you are no big group. But you have to lift your luggage a little bit to get onboard and change lines. There are tickets for more days also for travel in venice and to Murano or lido you will need it anyway. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KTV said:

What’s the best way to get from the Venice airport to the port?

The Linea 85 bus (https://www.arrivaveneto.it/orari-e-percorsi/), and then a short taxi from its terminus in Sottomarina is the cheapest.  A taxi will probably be in the region of EUR 130-150 (but that's just a guess based on a price I got for one from my hotel in Mestre).

On 3/10/2023 at 7:30 AM, fruitmachine said:

The Linea 85 bus (https://www.arrivaveneto.it/orari-e-percorsi/), and then a short taxi from its terminus in Sottomarina is the cheapest.  A taxi will probably be in the region of EUR 130-150 (but that's just a guess based on a price I got for one from my hotel in Mestre).

Thank you. I assume you mean EUR 130-150 for a taxi is from the airport not from the bus terminal. Are taxis easy to find in Sottomarina?

39 minutes ago, KTV said:

Thank you. I assume you mean EUR 130-150 for a taxi is from the airport not from the bus terminal. Are taxis easy to find in Sottomarina?

Yes - from the airport.

Here's the bus terminus in Sottomarina - I don't know how easy they will be to get a taxi there, but there is a stance and it was occupied when Google passed by.https://goo.gl/maps/3m7dNDWHeW3Bf8D27 

see there's also a taxi phone number on the signposts (041 554 0480).  It's a mile and a half to the ship, so if there are passengers waiting, I'm sure they'll be doing lots of quick round trips!

11 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

....Here's the bus terminus in Sottomarina - I don't know how easy they will be to get a taxi there, but there is a stance and it was occupied when Google passed by.https://goo.gl/maps/3m7dNDWHeW3Bf8D27 

see there's also a taxi phone number on the signposts (041 554 0480).  It's a mile and a half to the ship, so if there are passengers waiting, I'm sure they'll be doing lots of quick round trips!

Thank you, that is most helpful. We are staying a pre-cruise night in the Hotel Grande Italia, Chioggia. Any idea how close that is to the bus terminus, and the cruise port also?

TIA.

27 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Thank you, that is most helpful. We are staying a pre-cruise night in the Hotel Grande Italia, Chioggia. Any idea how close that is to the bus terminus, and the cruise port also?

TIA.

It's almost as far from the bus terminus to the hotel as it is to the ship.  About 2km / (1.2 miles  https://goo.gl/maps/jiT9s2vxxfvQaRcA6

From the hotel to the ship is probably only 250m as the crow flies, but you need to go south to cross a bridge and get through the port gate, so probably 1km / 0.8 miles on the road.  Google can't map the route as it's inside the port, but the terminal is the building at the top left of the Chioggia island.

10 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

It's almost as far from the bus terminus to the hotel as it is to the ship.  About 2km / (1.2 miles  https://goo.gl/maps/jiT9s2vxxfvQaRcA6

From the hotel to the ship is probably only 250m as the crow flies, but you need to go south to cross a bridge and get through the port gate, so probably 1km / 0.8 miles on the road.  Google can't map the route as it's inside the port, but the terminal is the building at the top left of the Chioggia island.

Thanks so much for that, I'm probably closing in on doing as you are and just using a taxi service from Marco Polo to keep it all as straightforward as possible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Thanks so much for that, I'm probably closing in on doing as you are and just using a taxi service from Marco Polo to keep it all as straightforward as possible.

Ask your hotel for a recommendation.  At least you'll give your fare to a local business in Chioggia / Sottomarina.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hamrag said:

Thank you, that is most helpful. We are staying a pre-cruise night in the Hotel Grande Italia, Chioggia

We are also considering staying a night or two pre cruise in Chioggia. The Grande Italia looks very accommodating. 
We would be traveling from Padua nearing the end of an independent Italy trip. 
We would probably take the bus from Padua to Chioggia. 
We are on the 4/22 departure from Chioggia. When do you embark?

Safe and happy travels. 

2 hours ago, jasardeax said:

We are also considering staying a night or two pre cruise in Chioggia. The Grande Italia looks very accommodating. 
We would be traveling from Padua nearing the end of an independent Italy trip. 
We would probably take the bus from Padua to Chioggia. 
We are on the 4/22 departure from Chioggia. When do you embark?

Safe and happy travels. 

A week earlier - 15 April.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:19 PM, Lindabee5000 said:

Our cruise s May 18… thank you so very much for your reply.  It really helps.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, Tuqui said:

Hi.  We are also boarding our Azamara Onward cruise from Chioggia. On May 13.  We were told that Azamara would have buses from Venice to Chioggia at 27 euros or dollars. I don’t remember.  From Piazzale Roma.  At 12. 12:30 and 1:30.    You have to book this in advance w/ Azamara or your TA.   I hope this helps!  
What date is your cruise ? 
Isabel 

I am on the July 20 cruise…traveling from Venice to port. Just booked Azamara transfer through my TA.  Above info is correct…

• 3 weeks later...

We are also staying at the Grande Italia May 5, but I haven't looked into transportation to the ship yet the following day.  I assume the hotel will help us. I don't think I'd feel comfortable walking up to the ship with luggage.  The airport to hotel is still undecided for us as well. I'm not into taking a city bus. I don't know why choice air won't provide transfers the day before.

Onward actually arrives at 1pm on May 5 we'll have an opportunity to check out its location as we approach the island. Also, it looks like there is a water taxi outside the door of the hotel, so maybe we can water it over to the ship. Anybody know about that?

49 minutes ago, Lisaten said:

Onward actually arrives at 1pm on May 5 we'll have an opportunity to check out its location as we approach the island. Also, it looks like there is a water taxi outside the door of the hotel, so maybe we can water it over to the ship. Anybody know about that?

It's a long way on water from Venice to Chioggia.  It may be possible with very deep pockets, but you'd get a private road transfer from Piazzale Roma for much less (getting to Piazzale Roma from your hotel by foot, water taxi or vaporetto water-bus).

5 hours ago, Lisaten said:

We are also staying at the Grande Italia May 5, but I haven't looked into transportation to the ship yet the following day.  I assume the hotel will help us. I don't think I'd feel comfortable walking up to the ship with luggage.  The airport to hotel is still undecided for us as well. I'm not into taking a city bus. I don't know why choice air won't provide transfers the day before.

We have been checking out several accommodations in Chioggia for a pre-Cruise night before our upcoming cruise. 
The Grande Italia looks charming. It is located very near the ferry/water taxi dock. 
Two of the accommodations we have inquired about in Chioggia are very close to your hotel. They both have told us that the Cruise Terminal is only a 5 to 7 minute taxi ride away, and it would be no problem to arrange a taxi. 
We will be coming to Chioggia from Padua. Still deciding on accommodations

• Thanks 1