How to Transfer from Venice to the Port of Chioggia to meet our ship??

Lindabee5000

5 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

It's a long way on water from Venice to Chioggia.  It may be possible with very deep pockets, but you'd get a private road transfer from Piazzale Roma for much less (getting to Piazzale Roma from your hotel by foot, water taxi or vaporetto water-bus).

Thanks for responding, but I meant by car as we cross the causeway to Chioggia we can get an idea of where the ship is docked and distance from hotel. I'm still going to try to get transportation using Choice Air. They didn't tell me I couldn't get a transfer if we arrived a day early. Yet they certainly took our money for the airfare. I'll let everyone know next week if I have any success

9 minutes ago, Lisaten said:

Thanks for responding, but I meant by car as we cross the causeway to Chioggia we can get an idea of where the ship is docked and distance from hotel. I'm still going to try to get transportation using Choice Air. They didn't tell me I couldn't get a transfer if we arrived a day early. Yet they certainly took our money for the airfare. I'll let everyone know next week if I have any success

Ahhh.. my mistake.  I thought your hotel was in Venice.

Because Chioggia and Sottomarina are fully accessible by road, I strongly suspect there won't be any water taxis plying their trade to get you from hotel to ship.  The obvious option is a short taxi.

For airport to Chioggia hotel, I'd suggest asking a local Chioggia taxi to collect you.  As I've found elsewhere, an "out of the city" business are more likely to give you a good price, and you're giving your custom to someone in an area that's probably needing it more than an airport or near-airport business.  Perhaps your hotel could give you a local recommendation?

5 hours ago, mat105 said:

image.png.552d7254a0d30af512a276268ec72340.png

Is the building in the center of this clipabove the terminal building for Chioggia cruise port?

It's the square one nearer the dock edge.  It appears on satellite view at about the same point other sources say they built a terminal building and matches the artist impression of it in another document. image.thumb.png.acb9044ceaf260b7ff501a830d3d7c2f.png

image.thumb.png.6d1539cf59b10ee8dd2f923f2283463a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has taken the Azamara transfer from Venice City, can you comment on where it picks up? I was told Tranchetto, but that is a big area. I also see here Piazzle Roma, but again, that's a big target. The transfer ticket does not give any specifics. 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, travellady74 said:

If anyone has taken the Azamara transfer from Venice City, can you comment on where it picks up? I was told Tranchetto, but that is a big area. I also see here Piazzle Roma, but again, that's a big target. The transfer ticket does not give any specifics. 

Tronchetto - at the end of the People Mover.  I gather there were reps with Azamara signs, as there were at the airport.

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, fruitmachine said:

Tronchetto - at the end of the People Mover.  I gather there were reps with Azamara signs, as there were at the airport.

Can someone please confirm if that’s at the place with the car park and not where the original cruise terminal is. I believe there are stops at both

We just did the transfer. The Azamara directions left us feeling very uncertain. It actually worked out well and was not a problem. We took the valporetto to the 2nd Tronchetto stop. When you get off you will see cruise reps. You can also get off at the previous stop and take the people mover. There were several cruise lines picking up their passengers there. 

We are going by bus from Venice Airport to Chioggia. The trip takes just over an hour. Make sure to get off at the via Vaccari stop which is in downtown Chioggia. We are staying in a hotel which is 5 minutes walk from this stop. Cost is about Euro8 per person.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, KTV said:

What’s the best way to get from the Venice airport to the port?

The 85 bus from the airport. Make sure to get off at the via Vaccari stop in downtown Chioggia. From there about 15 minute walk to the port. The cost is only about Euro8 per person.

2 hours ago, NicNata said:

We are going by bus from Venice Airport to Chioggia. The trip takes just over an hour. Make sure to get off at the via Vaccari stop which is in downtown Chioggia. We are staying in a hotel which is 5 minutes walk from this stop. Cost is about Euro8 per person.

2 hours ago, NicNata said:

The 85 bus from the airport. Make sure to get off at the via Vaccari stop in downtown Chioggia. From there about 15 minute walk to the port. The cost is only about Euro8 per person.

Just to correct the typo in the above posts - it's the Via Naccari stop. image.png.07fe17bbfbffb8a4dfa57c30a9c15790.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am currently on the transfer from Venice to Chioggia. We were very confused as to where to catch it so I thought I’d report while it’s fresh in my mind. If you are at Piazzele Roma you have to get on the People Mover. It costs 1.50 euro each. If you have bought a 24 hour or longer pass for the public transportation ACTV it will work for the People Mover. If you need to buy the ticket for the People Mover the machine is confusing. There is a tobacco store a few doors down from the entry and they sell the tickets there. Cash only. There are only three stops on the People Mover.  They are Piazzale Roma, cruise terminal, and Tronchetto. Tronchetto is where you need to go. The middle stop titled cruise Terminal is no longer used for cruises. Azamara reps were waiting there and everything was great and organized. Their pre cruise info is very confusing. It says last stop of People Mover but we kept wondering of three stops which is first and which is last. If you get on at Piazzele Roma (already forgot how to spell it) you get on there across the street from the ACTV buses.  There are elevators if you are dragging luggage. The People Mover comes about every 8 minutes. Get on and it will make one stop before the final stop at Tronchetto.  Get off here and reps will greet you. There is a restroom there (1 euro) and drinks are available for purchase. I hope this helps you understand Azamara’s confusing info on where to get the shuttle to Chioggia.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2023 at 5:36 AM, joetop2467 said:

I am currently on the transfer from Venice to Chioggia. We were very confused as to where to catch it so I thought I’d report while it’s fresh in my mind. If you are at Piazzele Roma you have to get on the People Mover. It costs 1.50 euro each.

Yikes!
We're on a Viking in mid April; we're staying pre cruise at a hotel near city center in Venice; picked it was it's near the "original" cruise terminal, and I'm already completely baffled about how to get to Chiogga. Thanks!

2 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Yikes!
We're on a Viking in mid April; we're staying pre cruise at a hotel near city center in Venice; picked it was it's near the "original" cruise terminal, and I'm already completely baffled about how to get to Chiogga. Thanks!

We sailed from Chioggia recently. We flew to Venice, pre-arranged transfer to Chioggia and stayed one night at Hotel Grand Italia which was excellent. Hotel arranged transport to ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Yikes!

I think Viking in the past couple years sometimes used Fusina for docking at Venice.  When they did that, they did passenger check-in at the old cruise terminal and then took you by bus to the ship.  It looks like they have moved to Chioggia now, with similar logistics issues as Azamara.    

Venice as an endpoint for cruises has gotten quite confusing, with three docking locations in the lagoon (Chiogia, Fusina, Marghera), the old cruise terminals (still used for some cruises), plus cruise lines stretching and calling Trieste or Ravenna "Venice" in their itineraries.  You have to look closely. 

6 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Yikes!

You would do better to post your question in the Viking Ocean forum.  This is for Azamara.  Each cruise line makes different arrangements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You would do better to post your question in the Viking Ocean forum.  This is for Azamara.  Each cruise line makes different arrangements.

9 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Yikes!

We caught the bus from Venice airport direct to Chioggia. The bus stop is just outside the arrivals at Venice airport. If I recall it is about once an hour. The bus costs about Euro 8 per person and takes about an hour to get to Chioggia. You get off at the Via Naccari stop in Chioggia from where it is an easy walk to multiple small hotels in Chioggia. We stayed at a lovely small hotel called Casa Sansera, from where we simply walked to the ship. The ease or not of doing this will depend on how much luggage you have and your mobility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1