Alaska Cruise & Dinner Timing

We are on the Ovation in July (can't wait!) but I have been trying to figure out dinner plans. We have the late dining (7:45pm) but there are several days where we are at ports until very late (even 8 or 10pm on some nights). We also did a 3-night dining package, but I think I'm going to do the upscale dining on our 3 sea days)

Is the Windjammer open for dinner for those nights that we get back too late to make our 7:45 dining time?

Any recommendations on eating dinner in port anywhere? (Skagaway, Juneau, Victoria) We might try to do Tracy's King Crab in Junea but might not have time between the end of our Glacier tour and making it back to the ship)

Being our first Alaskan cruise, are the menus the same as other cruises? I looked at the menus in the app (I know, way too early) but they appear to be old menus, not the new ones, and there is no Lobster night?

Any other nuggets of wisdom anyone can share?

The new menus will be loaded to your app as it gets closer to the cruise date. Also your app will tell you the hours when WJ is opened, will have the breakfast, lunch and dinner time by each day. It should be there already. 

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes - the Windjammer is open every evening. 

If you are in port till 8, you will likely be on board well before and may be able to make the  7:45 dinner.

Have a great trip

M

Perhaps, but it may be a rush.

Skagway we will be in port from 11-8. We have an excursion from 1 to 4, so we'd probably be OK if we want back to the ship and clean up in time for 7:45 dinner.

Juneau, we are in port from 1-9, and our excursion is from 1 to 7-ish. This one I am worried about, making it back in time, washing up, and making a 7:45 dinner. This night we'd likely either stay in Juneau, perhaps eat at Tracys King Crab if not too crowded, or just do the Windjammer.

Victoria we will be in port from 5-10! 7:45 dinner is not an option here unless we stay on the ship. We have an excursion already booked from 5:30 - 8, so Windjammer is really my ONLY option here (other than eating in Victoria of course). But what time is Windjammer open until? I may be eating Sorrento's for dinner.

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Perhaps, but it may be a rush.

Skagway we will be in port from 11-8. We have an excursion from 1 to 4, so we'd probably be OK if we want back to the ship and clean up in time for 7:45 dinner.

Juneau, we are in port from 1-9, and our excursion is from 1 to 7-ish. This one I am worried about, making it back in time, washing up, and making a 7:45 dinner. This night we'd likely either stay in Juneau, perhaps eat at Tracys King Crab if not too crowded, or just do the Windjammer.

Victoria we will be in port from 5-10! 7:45 dinner is not an option here unless we stay on the ship. We have an excursion already booked from 5:30 - 8, so Windjammer is really my ONLY option here (other than eating in Victoria of course). But what time is Windjammer open until? I may be eating Sorrento's for dinner.

WJ is generally open  till about 9.  If your ship  has a promenade cafe, that will be open  almost 24/7.    The dining venues times will be listed in the app. 

We love eating local  when time/activities permit.

M

We are booked with early but know we may not make it back for dinner some nights.  That’s okay and instead we will just do the WJ.  It’s almost always open until 9 p.m. Alaska is more casual so coming right from an excursion to MDR unless you’re wet or dirty would work too.  Drop your back pack in the room, comb your hair and go,  We may also just choose to eat on shore.  Every ship also has a pizza offering until at least 11 p.m.  

We are on the Ovation in late September-early October. Our Juneau excursion will run late and the ship is in port till 10 pm. We reserved the Solarium Bistro at 9:30pm just to make sure there was something available to us. There was no charge as it is ala carte. If we end up not being hungry we can just pick up snacks, dessert or split something.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jussabitconfused said:

We are on the Ovation in late September-early October. Our Juneau excursion will run late and the ship is in port till 10 pm. We reserved the Solarium Bistro at 9:30pm just to make sure there was something available to us. There was no charge as it is ala carte. If we end up not being hungry we can just pick up snacks, dessert or split something.

For some reason the Solarium Bistro does not show up as a reservable option for our July sailing on Ovation.

24 minutes ago, jrapps said:

For some reason the Solarium Bistro does not show up as a reservable option for our July sailing on Ovation.

Makes me wonder how this happens. I have a cruise planned for next February and have almost no excursions showing but it is pretty far out so I get it. But your cruise is before mine so I don't know why I would have it and not you.