Gratuities on Drinks

billydog

We gave the Signature Package included in our fare. I have prepaid the daily general gratuities charge. I note that gratuities of 18% will be added to the price of each drink. So if I order a drink price at $11 will I have to pay an additional gratuity of 18% in addition to this? New to HAL, any help appreciated.    

4 hours ago, aussiedisneyfan said:

No, the SBP cost includes the gratuities.  If however, you choose a drink over the $11 you will pay the difference plus 18% on that.

Something else to be aware of.  Even with included drinks, HAL has started providing receipts with each order and the receipts include a tip line.  Feel free to include an extra tip if you like but with the knowledge that an 18% gratuity is already included.  You just don't see that 18% with the package drinks--it's baked into the package already.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Something else to be aware of.  Even with included drinks, HAL has started providing receipts with each order and the receipts include a tip line.  Feel free to include an extra tip if you like but with the knowledge that an 18% gratuity is already included.  You just don't see that 18% with the package drinks--it's baked into the package already.

I was on the NS 3 weeks ago and between the 4 of us with the HIA package we never once saw a receipt and we had 40 drinks every day at least. We always tipped extra in cash if that made a difference.

I'm glad to see the drink receipts go away again!  Good riddance.  They really annoyed me when they started them on October 30th on the Rotterdam.  I sent a message to the "Tell Us" on the app right away that the signing when one has a drink package or even when it's charged to your cabin is a lot of wasted time for everyone!

~Nancy

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 6:22 AM, POA1 said:

Just to clarify... Can you now pay the difference if a drink is above the SBP limit? If so, I think that is new.

Yes this was started last October a little late for us on our August Oosterdam cruise. This now brings HAL more in line with the Celebrity drinks package rules.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yup.  That’s been happening for a few months.

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Yes this was started last October a little late for us on our August Oosterdam cruise. This now brings HAL more in line with the Celebrity drinks package rules.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yup.  That’s been happening for a few months.

That's kind of a game changer. I'd still prefer Premium BP, but being able to pay the difference is a real help

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:21 AM, AFNavigator said:

We had a waiter tell us he prefers cash, because if you add the tip to the bill everyone gets their cut, so a $1 tip turns into 5Cents. This was on Royal Caribbean.

Edited by knittinggirl
typo

13 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We had a waiter tell us he prefers cash, because if you add the tip to the bill everyone gets their cut, so a $1 tip turns into 5Cents. This was on Royal Caribbean.

I think if a server on HAL ever told a guest that and it got around it would be their last day interacting with guests.  Each order includes 18% gratuity. Anything extra is a gift that should be appreciated in any form it is offered in. They know the pooled tips will still amount to a healthy bonus. The pooled tips are distributed to people who work behind the scenes too. So that selfish waiter is cheating the dishwashers and prep staff that live on the pooled tip system.

On HAL they actually appreciate a nice mention in the post-cruise survey more than a buck or two on their tray. So if you want to really do something nice for a special server mention them in the survey or in the “let us know” tab on the navigator. That’s how they get promoted and raises

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

On HAL they actually appreciate a nice mention in the post-cruise survey more than a buck or two on their tray. So if you want to really do something nice for a special server mention them in the survey or in the “let us know” tab on the navigator. That’s how they get promoted and raises

The same on Celebrity. On our last cruise in a suite, I gave out Butler an extra tip at the end of the cruise, he told me that he appreciated it, but it wasn't necessary, and just asked that we give him top ratings in the post cruise evaluation.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, terrydtx said:

The same on Celebrity. On our last cruise in a suite, I gave out Butler an extra tip at the end of the cruise, he told me that he appreciated it, but it wasn't necessary, and just asked that we give him top ratings in the post cruise evaluation.

We don't get many rooms w/ butlers.  But on Celebrity, our butler returned our tips, because what he looked forward to most was our smiles.  He even delivered our specialty coffee on disembarkation day (when he didn't need to) so he could get boosted by our smiles.   Turn around day is rough on crew.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 6:00 AM, bdd123 said:

I was on NS Feb 18.  Receipts were not consistent.  Sea View, almost never.  Ocean always.  Never with meals.

Did not really bother me since you see in Navigator.

Agreed on the inconsistency.  Sea View same (last week on the NS).  I never got one to hold on to.  Just to sign.  You don't see them in Navigator if you have HIA.

I saw a lot of people adding $1-2 to the tips even if they had a drink package.  Personally - I wouldn't add it to the receipt.  Those tips are pooled and they just go to everyone.  If someone goes above and beyond for me, I'd rather slip them something extra on the side to make sure it went to them - again, IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VermeulT said:

Agreed on the inconsistency.  Sea View same (last week on the NS).  I never got one to hold on to.  Just to sign.  You don't see them in Navigator if you have HIA.

I saw a lot of people adding $1-2 to the tips even if they had a drink package.  Personally - I wouldn't add it to the receipt.  Those tips are pooled and they just go to everyone.  If someone goes above and beyond for me, I'd rather slip them something extra on the side to make sure it went to them - again, IMO

I did at the end of the cruise.  With discretion.

• Like 1