Best month for Italy/Greece and why

Boatingmom

Headed to Italy and Greece in 2024. My dream itinerary is a 10 day in March on my preferred line.  Least favorite itinerary is a 9 day in June on another line. 

Is Rome, Naples and Santorini too cold to tour in March?? Should I compromise in order to have warmer weather??  My preferred line has 7 day cruises in June that are OK but only 4 ports.  If I'm flying across the pond I would like to stay for more than 7 days. I'm not looking to sunbathe but would still like to use my balcony.  Opinions?? Advice??

1 minute ago, Boatingmom said:

Headed to Italy and Greece in 2024. My dream itinerary is a 10 day in March on my preferred line.  Least favorite itinerary is a 9 day in June on another line. 

Is Rome, Naples and Santorini too cold to tour in March?? Should I compromise in order to have warmer weather??  My preferred line has 7 day cruises in June that are OK but only 4 ports.  If I'm flying across the pond I would like to stay for more than 7 days. I'm not looking to sunbathe but would still like to use my balcony.  Opinions?? Advice??

As we're in March.. use the app on your phone to see what the temperatures are doing at the moment.. 🙂 

• Like 2

I haven't cruised the Med in March but I have in early April and it was one of the best cruises for me weather-wise. Is it beach weather? No.  Is it too cold to tour in March?  No way. 

I've done land stays in Naples twice in February and both times it was very pleasant, Like not needing a jacket pleasant (well, maybe very early in the morning you might need a light jacket or a sweater...)

I've stayed in Rome in February and March -- again very pleasant weather. And the big plus is -- fewer tourists.

As for Santorini, you certainly stand a better chance of being there on a day when that small island isn't overrun with 12,000 other cruisers in March. But being that Santorini is mainly a resort (unlike Naples and Rome, which are major cities in their own right), you do run the risk that a few shops and restaurants may not be up and running yet in March. If I were you, I'd try to find out if there are other ships in port with you in Santorini.

If your cruise is in later March, it probably won't be too different from my April experience, especially as springtime seems to come earlier and earlier with climate change.  Earlier in March you could run the risk of some gray or drizzly weather.

I'd pick 10 days in March over 9 days in June. But then, I don't like really hot weather and I hate the crowds in the summer.

I have cruised in February. We had every weather from freezing cold to nice enough to sunbath by the pool but only like one day of either extreme. Most days were rather cool but warm enough for sightseeing and sitting on the balcony.

If you are willing to accept the, albeit small, risk of ughly weather, I would go for the combination of prefered line and preferred itinarary.

We rate the shoulder months - April into May & September into October.

But last July we we broke our own rule - tempted by a silly-cheap late-booked  7-day Aegean  fly-cruise incl. drinks package & tips 

Thank the Lord for the drinks package - weather was so very hot, couldn't hack more than a couple of hours ashore in most ports before heading for the ship's pool and shady bar.

Mid-summer is fine for sitting behind a tall cold beer and people-watching - but not for exploring.

JB 🙂

I'd happily sail in March.  I would not count on using your balcony much while the ship is moving, but perhaps you'll get lucky.  Or take a sweater/jacket, just in case.  But while the ship is not moving, the balcony could very likely be pleasant.  Go for the itinerary/ship you really want.  European trips are all about the itinerary, in my opinion.

I'm going in May for 2 weeks.  I won't likely ever go in July/August again.  Too hot. And too crowded.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I agree with others, take the 10 day in March.    Our trips to Rome/ Florence areas have been in June, June, October, and December.   December was our favorite due to much smaller crowds but did not feel "empty" or "closed" - just enough activity and buzz.   December weather cool but pleasant.   June way too crowded for me.   Hot weather is great for vacations where you can lay by the lake all day.   However, for touring historical sites, all of which have poor or no air conditioning, hot weather and big crowds are not for me.   

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all. Just seeing responses now. Guess I didn't follow myself🤷‍♀️

I picked march and the countdown has begun. I didn't want to be all hot and sweaty while touring and i dislike crowds for vacation. I will layer up and hope for the best.  Thanks for all your input!!

Edited by Boatingmom

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, Boatingmom said:

Thanks all. Just seeing responses now. Guess I didn't follow myself🤷‍♀️

I picked march and the countdown has begun. I didn't want to be all hot and sweaty while touring and i dislike crowds for vacation. I will layer up and hope for the best.  Thanks for all your input!!

We are also cruising the Med in March. I'm with you. I'd rather have to layer up then to be all sweaty.

18 hours ago, MargaretK54 said:

We are also cruising the Med in March. I'm with you. I'd rather have to layer up then to be all sweaty.

As someone who lives in the Med area I agree.  If you intend to visit towns and cities avoid the summer months.  However you do need to take a waterproof jacket and waterproof shoes - much better than an umbrella when you are trying to walk around.