Captains Club stateroom upgrades how does it work?

Linda W.

We recently booked a cruise and called to find out about the one category upgrade worked.  They advised us to continue to book our stateroom online and then to call them about upgrading.  I think it only works if there is an available stateroom at the next level.  Our cruise was far enough out that it wasn't a problem.  We went from one concierge class level to another which really just meant a slightly better location but it worked well for us.  

• Like 1

You have to ask for the upgrade at the time of booking.  It is a manual process done through your TA or Celebrity.  It is not automatically applied when you book on line even if you supply your Captains Club number during the booking process.  So be sure to confirm that the upgrade was applied (by looking at your cabin price).

Note that the upgrades are limited to certain cabin categories.  Suites are excluded altogether from this.  However within a super-category (e.g. Aqua Class, Concierge Class, Veranda, Outside, and Inside, to name 5 super-categories), you can get the free one category upgrade--essentially you are getting the cabin you booked for the price of a cabin one category below it.  Here is a table showing the specific cabin categories that are upgradeable for free as a Captains Club benefit (link to the entire flyer)

image.thumb.png.c782dbf02a54e2e93ab67e1336057042.png

It is a bit busy because Celebrity is in the middle of recategorizing their cabins so the upgrade tables are shown before and after the recategorization.  The tables are split into ship series (aka ship classes) because the category nomenclature is a bit different between the two. So according to the table, you can get a V1 cabin (veranda) for the price of a V2 on a Millennium or Solstice class ship.  As you can see, the free upgrades don't allow you to go from an outside cabin to a veranda cabin (one super-category into the next).

And yes, the upgrade works--again you have to make sure that you ask for it.  For my last cruise I booked (17 night Transpacific in 2025), my TA remembered the free upgrade and saved me $240.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Just wondering if you can upgrade one category on RCCL. I’m Elite so it would be Diamond on them. I never saw that on any benefits they show.

No. Those benefits do not cross brands.

The upgrade is on class of cabin.  NOT one category.

Again the upgrade is only within the category you book.  Thus book a veranda and you can get a veranda cabin in a slightly better location.  Nothing more.  Saves usually $20-50 using numbers from my TA.

As said you must do this at booking and if there are no cabins in the higher class you are out of luck.  No waitlist. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

As said you must do this at booking and if there are no cabins in the higher class you are out of luck.  No waitlist. 

Just choose the cabin you want and then get charged for the level below. That's the way I do it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Just choose the cabin you want and then get charged for the level below. That's the way I do it.

I agree.  This solves one problem where at least the cabin you want is available because you are able to choose it during booking.  However I don't know if there is a requirement that the cabin category below it (which the price would be based on) has to be available in order to get the free upgrade.  Maybe someone can comment about that from their experience.

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I agree.  This solves one problem where at least the cabin you want is available because you are able to choose it during booking.  However I don't know if there is a requirement that the cabin category below it (which the price would be based on) has to be available in order to get the free upgrade.  Maybe someone can comment about that from their experience.

I have never looked at any category below, I just pick one and let my guy know. He adjusts the price to the lower category, so I really can't say.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Just wondering if you can upgrade one category on RCCL. I’m Elite so it would be Diamond on them. I never saw that on any benefits they show.

You Diamond benefit is better. If you book a RC cruise while on a Celebrity cruise you will still get any promos if any for that cruise plus your Diamond discounts if booking a balcony or suite. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/crown-anchor-society/balcony-and-suites-chart

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

I have never looked at any category below, I just pick one and let my guy know. He adjusts the price to the lower category, so I really can't say.

"Honey, I found the perfect cabin to upgrade from"