I thought they had a texting app?

mitsugirly

It's been awhile (2019) since we've cruised with NCL and we used to use a texting app with NCL to keep in touch with each other while on the ship. Do they still have this? I can't seem to find anything on their website about it. I see that you can buy the internet package but not looking for internet...just a way to text my family if we are not together. 

Anyone know where to find information about this and what the cost is if they still have it? 🤔

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Dry erase board/Sticky note on door.  🙂

LOL 😄

Just now, jdc987 said:

$9.99 it's available on your app and TV once on board.  Just remember that sometimes it doesn't notify you.  I believe you also can call.

Is that total for the cruise for each phone used? (hopefully not per day)

We used the $9.99/phone for texting on the app during our last cruise. On the whole, we really liked it but it did have some lag so you need to be patient with it. It's not perfect but it's better than trying to to find your party on larger ships or having to sticks to meet up times 

3 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

It's been awhile (2019) since we've cruised with NCL and we used to use a texting app with NCL to keep in touch with each other while on the ship. Do they still have this? I can't seem to find anything on their website about it. I see that you can buy the internet package but not looking for internet...just a way to text my family if we are not together. 

Anyone know where to find information about this and what the cost is if they still have it? 🤔

Kim! Glad to see you!  When's the next cruise/review coming?!?!?!

• Like 4

Just got off the Joy today. Friends of ours had the unlimited internet package, we didn't. They were able to send us texts through FB Messenger app, which showed up on my phone even though I was in airplane mode with internet turned off. I would have to log in to reply to them, but at least I could see the messages free of charge and only log in and use my free minutes if the message warranted a response. We both had Android phones and FB messenger worked fine with the free internet for me.

I was posting somewhat regularly during our trip here on CC and on FB, and used the last of my free 300 minutes on the last day of our cruise. Dipped into hubby's 300 free minutes that last day to check in for our flights home, but the free internet was plenty for us.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, Sailing12Away said:

Just got off the Joy today. Friends of ours had the unlimited internet package, we didn't. They were able to send us texts through FB Messenger app, which showed up on my phone even though I was in airplane mode with internet turned off. I would have to log in to reply to them, but at least I could see the messages free of charge and only log in and use my free minutes if the message warranted a response. We both had Android phones and FB messenger worked fine with the free internet for me.

I was posting somewhat regularly during our trip here on CC and on FB, and used the last of my free 300 minutes on the last day of our cruise. Dipped into hubby's 300 free minutes that last day to check in for our flights home, but the free internet was plenty for us.

Yes, I do remember one of our cruises we were on airplane mode and would get notifications from text, fb messenger and IG (but of course couldn't read the full text if it was long) and was worried something was wrong and we were going to be charged international rates but we didn't. 

6 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

On the Breakaway now...Here is what we could get from the app. From what I gather, this is not worth getting. 

Screenshot_20230314_072750_Norwegian.thumb.jpg.3d25add4f1ae0190cd81dd2da877a9f1.jpg

Phone calls?   We haven't used the app for a few years and my memory is not what it used to be.   If everyone in your party purchases the app, you will be able to reach someone in your party with a phone call?   I do not remember that--only remember the texting part.

6 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Phone calls?   We haven't used the app for a few years and my memory is not what it used to be.   If everyone in your party purchases the app, you will be able to reach someone in your party with a phone call?   I do not remember that--only remember the texting part.

That's what it says. We have the FAS plus package, so unlimited internet and wifi. The DW and I are able to communicate via fb messenger, so I'm not sure how well this app works. We've heard it isn't very good, and usually not worth paying 9.95 for...YMMV...

7 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

That's what it says. We have the FAS plus package, so unlimited internet and wifi. The DW and I are able to communicate via fb messenger, so I'm not sure how well this app works. We've heard it isn't very good, and usually not worth paying 9.95 for...YMMV...

We felt that way the last time we went on a cruise with extended family.  However, next week there will be 14 of us occupying 7 cabins (2 in Haven) so I was hoping for better results with the app this year time.

8 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Our last trip as a 15 day journey, so the FAS + package was an extra $700 per person. For $10 per person, that's a lot cheaper for an easy way to stay in touch with folks if that's important to you. I personally like the quiet times away from my family 😉 

• Like 2

We just got off the Encore &  bought the texting package. It worked really well most of the time and kept us in contact with our teenager. There were a few times where I would have to send a message twice for it to be delivered, but overall we were happy with it. You do have to check it frequently, as you don't get any kind of pop up notice when a new message arrives. 

If you can't get it to work, just head to guest services and they can assist you. Well worth it in our experience! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shaunmn said:

We just got off the Encore &  bought the texting package. It worked really well most of the time and kept us in contact with our teenager. There were a few times where I would have to send a message twice for it to be delivered, but overall we were happy with it. You do have to check it frequently, as you don't get any kind of pop up notice when a new message arrives. 

If you can't get it to work, just head to guest services and they can assist you. Well worth it in our experience! 

Thank you for posting your experience.   I do remember having to check constantly but I am glad to have the option.

8 hours ago, gotscrapz said:

Yes, they have a testing app. We have iPhones and were able to iMessage for free and I don't think we had any time it didn't work last cruise in September or last April.

So are you saying you purchased the app for the ship texting and could also iMessage others (like back home) for free with it? Or are you saying you could iMessage for free and didn't buy the ship app?

19 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

So are you saying you purchased the app for the ship texting and could also iMessage others (like back home) for free with it? Or are you saying you could iMessage for free and didn't buy the ship app?

iMessage works without the app.  I stayed in touch with family at home with no problem.  No photos, just text.  Airplane mode, no internet needed

15 minutes ago, sarlin said:

Mitsugirly,

Awesome to "see" you again!!  I've missed you!

Sarlin

Well hello there!!!

7 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

iMessage works without the app.  I stayed in touch with family at home with no problem.  No photos, just text.  Airplane mode, no internet needed

So if that's the case, why would you need to purchase the texting app? All we want to do is stay in touch with our daughter when needed and we all have iphones. Hmmm 🤔