New Cruiser-question about shore excursions

JolieLaide13

Good morning! (or evening, depending when you read this),

I will be taking a cruise on NCL this November on the Sky.  I have no experience with cruising, but when I was looking on the app for shore excursions, I was a bit... underwhelmed.  Have I missed out on excursions already as they have filled, or will more be added? I feel like November is still pretty far out, but I don't understand the logistics of these things quite yet.

Thanks!

its early more will most likely be added.

many choose to book tours on their own, often for a fraction of the cost that the ship wants.  but if you do this, its your responsibility to be sure to be back to the pier ontime.  she ship wont wait for you. 

• Like 1

It really depends on what your interests are. If you are a beach person there are generally taxis or other transportation at the port that will get you there at a lesser cost. Most ports are selling basic tours of the area as you get off the ship. If you want to do something that involves getting on a boat (or something else that is not easily accessible) you can either book privately with a tour operator on the island prior to your cruise or through the ship. No need for anything at Great Stirrup Cay unless you want to jet ski or something similar. Puerto Rico has no beaches near the ship, but the pier is located near the old town/fort area and is quite walkable. Puerto Plata is probably a stop at one of two cruise-made port stops with a pool and shopping. Have shared a cab with other cruise passengers to the beach in Antiqua and St. Maarten, beaches were nice. Early in my cruising experience I would book one shore excursion per cruise, or pick something up at the port,  just to do something that was interesting to me. The other times I would research how to get to the beach, average cost, etc.

Be aware and look at the travel warnings/ crime in the areas you are visiting. There are some ports that I would do something close to the port or only do a tour or shore excursion.

4 hours ago, JolieLaide13 said:

I am doing a 9 day cruise to Puerto Rico, Antigua, Puerto Plata, Antigua, Great Stirrup Cay, St Maarten, and I think one more place. Any recommendations?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

CC has excellent Ports of Call forums, where you will find lots of info and detail about specific ports, including recommendations for tours, private tour operators, etc., and where it's most appropriate to ask these sorts of questions that are not cruise-line specific.   I suggest you head over to the Caribbean forum, and then, within that, you'll find subforums for the specific islands you'll be visiting:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

Great Stirrup Cay is NCL's private island, so here in the NCL forum is the best place to ask about that. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

As posted above, the ports of call forum is great. I also like getting port guides on my Kindle and I read the best places to go and what the locals do. Then I find private companies that go there or rent a car. I rarely book with NCL and never have. To avoid missing the ship, I try to book Excursions that leave soon after the ship docks and return at least 2 hours before all aboard. If it's a private tour or car rental, we do do the furthest point first and work our way back towards the ship to stay safe. I do extensive research on the ports before making final decisions. Where are you headed? I may be able to offer some suggestions. 

• 2 weeks later...

HI looking for alternate tours or if it is ok just to hire a cab in the ports of Puerto Plata,Dominican Republic and tortola in the British Virgin Islands.  Haven't cruised since the pandemic but in the past have had luck getting a driver when get off the ship that is willing to give us a private tour for a fixed price