I'm Back to Celebrity....Almost

Randyk47

Last year I crossed over to the "dark side" (historically a HAL customer) and sailed the Galaxy out of Galveston. :o Went back to our cruising roots for a 10-day on HAL's Volendam last month and had a great cruise. Having said that....I'm back. :) We're looking to next year's cruise and we're about....I think....to book the Summit repositioning cruise in April 2007. I've read some mixed reviews, in a generic kind of way, about repositioning cruises. Any general or specific impressions about these type cruises with Celebrity?

PS- Hey Phil....I see you'll still around.....how about that cruise together?

We've taken several repositioning cruises, including transatlantic and they're great - especially because staff and crew are really upbeat and looking forward to a change in itinerary after having OD'd on months and months of the same old same old.

Did the same cruise on Infinity and could not find any drawbacks. We loved it. Not sure what your question is. Of course one way airfare to/from both ports can be higher. Otherwise a wonderful cruise. With lots of places on deck to watch the ship go through the canal.

Hi Randy!:) How ya doin? Glad to see you enjoyed your Volendam cruise. A bunch on our roll call last November on Mercury were doing a reunion of their cruise on her as we were doing a reunion of our Galaxy cruise in 2003, plus quite a few more Amigos besides.

Now, how about Connie in March 2007? We have quite a group going already. Ultimate Caribbean, going to a few ports I haven't been to.

Anyway, good luck with the planning. Don't you just love the planning?:cool:

Phil

Missylou - Though Lysolqn touched on it, and it apparently wasn't a problem on their cruise, I've read on CC that some repositioning cruises aren't all that good. I couldn't/can't recall where or when or even what lines were mentioned. I do recall there were concerns about the ports of call (not normal ones so the port and the ship weren't used to the ports/excursions), reduced or tired staff, etc. Of the Celebrity ships we've also only sailed on the Galaxy and while she was a bit tired and in need of a drydock it was still a great cruise and the small things that needed to be fixed were not really that big of an issue. Working with a TA right now and waiting for the final costs for a couple of cabin options so we'll see. As for airlines/airfare....well....living pretty much in the middle of the US we'll probably just take something like Southwest and save some bucks.

Phil - Hmm....March 2007.....will have to look into that if this Summit cruise doesn't pan out.

Last year I crossed over to the "dark side" (historically a HAL customer) and sailed the Galaxy out of Galveston. :o Went back to our cruising roots for a 10-day on HAL's Volendam last month and had a great cruise. Having said that....I'm back. :) We're looking to next year's cruise and we're about....I think....to book the Summit repositioning cruise in April 2007. I've read some mixed reviews, in a generic kind of way, about repositioning cruises. Any general or specific impressions about these type cruises with Celebrity?

PS- Hey Phil....I see you'll still around.....how about that cruise together?

Randy, I love repo cruises, same cruise benifits, but for less $$$.

By ther way, We wre on the Summit repo cruise from San Diego to Alaska, last May, just a great cruise..

Is that generic enough? :D

phil

We have done 3 repositioning cruises and they were all terrific, as well as a great deal. Airfares don't have to be much more expensive doing these kinds of routes, since you can always buy 'open jaw' tickets and get around it that way. I actually like starting in one port and finishing in another. It gives us the opportunity to see and explore two different cities.

Happy Sailing~

Archived