Trouble deciding on what type of room on QM2

Joe33472

I was originally planning a fall 2023 TA with some time in Europe, but that doesn't seem to be working out with my work schedule.   Now I'm planning spring 2024 trip, which is actually a good thing, since there are a lot more options. 

So, here's the situation.  The trip will involve taking the QM2 from Southampton to NY on the 6/23 crossing and I don't know what type of room to book and I've been reading for hours.  We haven't been on cruises for years, but our main sticking point in the past has been the fixed dining and dining with strangers at the same table.  It's not that we're unsocial, but we'd probably prefer to eat by ourselves and also eat at a time that wasn't fixed.  So, I was thinking PG or QG, but for the price, I think it's pretty expensive for what you get.    I might be missing something and I'm willing to spend the money if that's what it takes, but compared to other lines, there doesn't seem to be a lot included for the price for PG or QG.   On the way to Europe, the plan is to take Celebrity in the retreat and I think that that is a way good value for the money.  This return trip is a lot of money and I would have to pay for Internet and a drink package?  We're looking at $10K or $12K for Cunard for one week plus extras and I think we can do the Celebrity cruise for about $13K for 2-weeks all-inclusive (tips, drinks, internet, etc.)   

I was then thinking that maybe Balcony Club might fix the dining issue, but the rooms are small and on the QM2 appear to be high in the ship and towards the front.   We're both prone to a little bit of sea sickness, so not sure if that's a great idea.  We could do PG and that would solve the dining issue, but for $4,000 more than BC, that's a lot.   It's not like the Grills Lounge serves afternoon appetizers and free cocktails.  

Am I missing something?  Am I over thinking this?   Should I just book PG and call it a day?   We're not heavy drinkers, although I enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner, but my other half doesn't drink at all... The $2K more for QG for two bottles of liquor and mini-bar doesn't seem to be worth it.  

Any advice would be great!  Thank you...

We have sailed BC on the QM2 on a Crossing and very much liked it. The anytime dining with a dedicated table and staff was nice. Although a form of anytime dining is now available in the MDR, the upgraded dining experience in BC was worth the additional cost for us. There are also other subtle enhancements to BC.

Yes, the BC cabins are on decks 12 & 13 towards the front but we didn't notice significant movement even in rough weather. While the BC cabins are on the small size (exact same size and layout as Britannia class), the sitting area is perfect for two and the glass front balcony provides for a lot of light and an open feeling. We think BC is a good value proposition.

Hope this helps

Jack

• Like 1

If you do book a Grills Suite (either PG or QG) in the US, you should be entitled to the ongoing "Grills Suite Offer" for US bookings which includes a drinks package and pre-payment of the Hotel and Dining Service Charge (aka auto-gratuities). You would have to pay for internet on Cunard, even in the Grills.

As far as help with further comparisons of the Cunard Grills experience to the Celebrity Retreat or similar offerings on other lines, I will have to defer to someone who has experience with any of those. I am strictly a "rower" who very happily sails in Britannia Sheltered Balcony cabins on QM2.

And just to confirm, even lowly Britannia now offers the option of anytime dining. No need to book Britannia Club or higher for flexibility in dining times. The compromise is that you don't have a fixed table with the same servers each evening with anytime dining in Britannia. And you would want to reserve your preferred dining times for each evening once on board using "My Voyage".

• Like 1

I literally just booked a PG for June 23, 2023 TA and PG suites seem to be selling out. Looks like BC is already sold out as I was researching. I too spent a lot of time thinking over cabin grade choices. It’s been awhile since last TA and first voyage in Grills with Cunard. I have also been on QE before. 

For seven nights, my thinking was that a slighter PG larger living area and more importantly, a larger bathroom with tub was a big selling point.  The promise of higher end food and service was a key factor too. I read much commentary that PG hits the sweet spot in this ship. 
If we were on a cruise (not Crossing) and port hopping on and off the ship most days, I’d do a sheltered balcony. However eight days at sea justifies PG, IMHO. 

An important factor of a TA on QM2 is that it’s more of an indoor experience with not too many outdoor features, even for Grills pax, due to the QM2 purpose-built as an ocean liner. Traditional cruise ship pax need to adjust their expectations regarding this inside/outside issue. 
The QM2 can’t be beat on interior awesomeness though. 

I received the full drinks package, gratuities paid, and some OBC by booking on US site. Yes, I feel bad for our fellow UK pax on that Drinks package issue!!!

I’d stop thinking and go PG before everything sells out!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

My vote is for Britannia Club.  The $4k savings can go towards a future retreat cruise.  There is a reason BC often sells out before PG and QG.  Is it PG minus or Britannia plus?  Regardless, it is one of the more popular choices with Cunarders.

Alternatively go all out for QG! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for posting.   This is a huge help.  I had no idea about the "Grills Suite Offer".... Do I have to call reservations to get the promotion?  I see nowhere online to input the code...

NE John, thanks so much for this great post.  I've been thinking that since the crossing has so much time onboard with no stops, that we could really use the extra space.  I've read a few other posts that suggest that PG is the sweet spot.    I really don't need two bottles of booze refreshed all the cruise and a stocked mini-fridge in QG.  I think it would be way too much temptation for me.  The evening canapes sounds good.   

I think that does it.  I think I'm going to go with PG, especially if I can get the offer mentioned. 

Thanks again everyone!

52 minutes ago, NE John said:

I literally just booked a PG for June 23, 2023 TA and PG suites seem to be selling out. Looks like BC is already sold out as I was researching. I too spent a lot of time thinking over cabin grade choices. It’s been awhile since last TA and first voyage in Grills with Cunard. I have also been on QE before. 

For seven nights, my thinking was that a slighter PG larger living area and more importantly, a larger bathroom with tub was a big selling point.  The promise of higher end food and service was a key factor too. I read much commentary that PG hits the sweet spot in this ship. 
If we were on a cruise (not Crossing) and port hopping on and off the ship most days, I’d do a sheltered balcony. However eight days at sea justifies PG, IMHO. 

An important factor of a TA on QM2 is that it’s more of an indoor experience with not too many outdoor features, even for Grills pax, due to the QM2 purpose-built as an ocean liner. Traditional cruise ship pax need to adjust their expectations regarding this inside/outside issue. 
The QM2 can’t be beat on interior awesomeness though. 

I received the full drinks package, gratuities paid, and some OBC by booking on US site. Yes, I feel bad for our fellow UK pax on that Drinks package issue!!!

I’d stop thinking and go PG before everything sells out!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Do I have to call reservations to get the promotion?  I see nowhere online to input the code...

We are not allowed to talk about specific any travel agent but I went thru one. 
Try booking on your own, in USA right?, and hopefully the Cunard site will capture those Grills benefits. 

Please let us know about both your booking and your TA/QM2 experiences. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NE John said:

We are not allowed to talk about specific any travel agent but I went thru one. 
Try booking on your own, in USA right?, and hopefully the Cunard site will capture those Grills benefits. 

Please let us know about both your booking and your TA/QM2 experiences. 

Thanks again!  I've reached out to Cunard to see how I make the reservation with the offer online.  I'll see what they say.   Although I'm not opposed about going through a travel agent.   I see a lot of discussion on the various boards here about the benefits of using an agent, but I'm a control freak.  I'll have to read more about that.    

I'm going to make the booking tomorrow or Saturday.   I'll post how it goes.  Hopefully Cunard respond to my email about how to get the offer if I book online.  I'm happy that the decision is finally made.  PG it is... 

Now, I just have to figure out how we're going to comply with the dress code.   Or at least not feel too underdressed.  We'll be in Europe for the 7 weeks before the TA and I told my SO that she's "allowed" a 24' suitcase and backpack.  Can't be lugging a tuxedo and gowns across multiple countries.  I originally said a 22' suitcase for each of us and each having a backpack.  I'm not lugging two 50' luggages on trains.   At least, that's what I say now.    

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on a prompt reply from Cunard via email if you used the "Email Cunard" form on their website. They could surprise me and get right back to you tomorrow, but in general I've heard it can take weeks to get a reply that way.

My understanding is that the Grills Suite Offer is automatically applied to grills suite bookings made in the US except for some deeply discounted promotions that specifically state they are not combinable with that offer. But please don't take my word for it. My suggestion is to contact Cunard Customer Service by phone tomorrow and see what they say.

56 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Can't be lugging a tuxedo and gowns across multiple countries.

We are on the Continent beforehand too. In fact, you and I are having very similar thinking processes about cabin choice and needs for this Crossing. 

Ask Cunard about the luggage forwarding service as described on the Cunard site.   I’m just learning too about that service as I started in a nearby post with that same question. 

Really try to participate in the Gala nights, it’s a special atmosphere in the Queen’s Room. It’s worth looking good to match the ship’s character. 

BTW, I’m a 30,000 foot view thinker when figuring out what I want for a trip and then I delegate the details to a human travel agent for that execution and also in reigning me sometimes. 
Good luck!

Edited by NE John

When I looked at that crossing on the US Cunard site, the promotion was “Treat Yourself, On Us” that included some amount of on-board credit and the Grills package as noted above (drinks and service charge).

If you go through the booking process, it will give you a choice of fares between the “Treat Yourself,” Sailing Soon, and the Cunard fare. You can select it at that time.

28 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

When I looked at that crossing on the US Cunard site, the promotion was “Treat Yourself, On Us” that included some amount of on-board credit and the Grills package as noted above (drinks and service charge).

If you go through the booking process, it will give you a choice of fares between the “Treat Yourself,” Sailing Soon, and the Cunard fare. You can select it at that time.

Thanks ExArkie!   I've done so much reading and looked at the booking site numerous times, going back I see this on the landing page.  I missed the part about the drink package and tips thing, and didn't know about this promo until  others mentioned above (so glad this promo was mentioned).  

image.png.c9cc30f6406f6c6eb8f6de4db49fe36c.png

When I select PG, I get this, which doesn't say anything about a drink package and tips being included. 

image.thumb.png.50bd7b619862538609b1a33eb6e8565f.png

When I click on "Book Now", I get this, which says nothing about drinks and tips included in the "Treat Yourself" fare.  

image.thumb.png.4e90be85189aa855e08f7126d11004fe.png

But, I do think that drinks and tips are included in the Treat Yourself fare.    But will probably call today just to be 100% sure that I don't have to book through a travel agent.   Thanks again.

Edited by Joe33472

40 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks ExArkie!   I've done so much reading and looked at the booking site numerous times, going back I see this on the landing page.  I missed the part about the drink package and tips thing, and didn't know about this promo until  others mentioned above (so glad this promo was mentioned).  

When I select PG, I get this, which doesn't say anything about a drink package and tips being included. 

When I click on "Book Now", I get this, which says nothing about drinks and tips included in the "Treat Yourself" fare.  

But, I do think that drinks and tips are included in the Treat Yourself fare.    But will probably call today just to be 100% sure that I don't have to book through a travel agent.   Thanks again.

I've stayed in 10015 on QM2! Lovely cabin.

Is there a button on the page which says something like 'see full benefits'? Anyway, the first panel you showed seems to explain the benefits of that promotion.

Telephone Cunard if you are concerned, to check the details and even to book.

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

Hey neighbor, we’re in 10016!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Hey neighbor, we’re in 10016!

That would be pretty amazing.   Haven't booked yet, but getting much closer.   I need to call the reservation center and can't do that this morning.  Hopefully there will be some PG rooms left this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  I saw  your other thread on the luggage forwarding and that is PERFECT.    We are going to send a small bag in advance with some formal and semi-formal wear.   Just not the malware... 🤣

• Like 1

Update:  Called customer service and they said they would send me a "special service request" noting that the drinks package and gratuities would be included in the fare if I called up after I made the booking.  So, I made the booking, called up, and they said they would send me an email confirmation.  Haven't received the email yet, but I still haven't received an email confirmation that I actually booked the cruise.   The sailing shows up in my booking summary, so I think things are okay.   

Thanks everyone for all your help about the room selection and for the heads up about the grills promo.  That really made the difference in the decision process.   

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, Joe33472 said:

Update:  Called customer service and they said they would send me a "special service request" noting that the drinks package and gratuities would be included in the fare if I called up after I made the booking.  So, I made the booking, called up, and they said they would send me an email confirmation.  Haven't received the email yet, but I still haven't received an email confirmation that I actually booked the cruise.   The sailing shows up in my booking summary, so I think things are okay.   

Thanks everyone for all your help about the room selection and for the heads up about the grills promo.  That really made the difference in the decision process.   

@Joe33472 make sure you sign in to the Roll Call for this trip on the CC site. 

13 hours ago, NE John said:

@Joe33472 make sure you sign in to the Roll Call for this trip on the CC site. 

Thanks!  I signed up for the roll call.  Just realized that we’re not on the same crossing.  I am on the 2024 June 23 crossing and I think you’re on the 2023 crossing, right?   

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks!  I signed up for the roll call.  Just realized that we’re not on the same crossing.  I am on the 2024 June 23 crossing and I think you’re on the 2023 crossing, right?   

Correct. June 2023. Too bad, it would have been nice to meet you.  
That’s why I was urging to book soon for this year’s June Crossing because most PG was selling out. 

I’ll report back with comments if we use the luggage forwarding service and, of course, give feedback on the Crossing experience in PG level vs. Britannia. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NE John said:

Correct. June 2023. Too bad, it would have been nice to meet you.  
That’s why I was urging to book soon for this year’s June Crossing because most PG was selling out. 

I’ll report back with comments if we use the luggage forwarding service and, of course, give feedback on the Crossing experience in PG level vs. Britannia. 

Yes, it would have been great to say hello, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip and your PG experience.    Hope you have a great trip.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you have already sorted this out. Since you asked about the comparison.

I have cruised QG on the QM2 and Retreat on Celebrity Edge. They are two very different experiences. QG the cabin is large but older then retreat cabins we have been in. You do have a dedicated bar on both, both have a concierge lounge with snacks and a concierge, QM2 does not have the dedicated pool and grill like Retreat, QM2 dining room is fabulous with exceptional service and food, Lunimae while better then the MD is nothing compared to the selection and quality of QG dining. Butler service quality ranges from good to exceptional on both depending on who your butler is. 

We are on the June 23, 2023 crossing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JSR said:

Sounds like you have already sorted this out. Since you asked about the comparison.

I have cruised QG on the QM2 and Retreat on Celebrity Edge. They are two very different experiences. QG the cabin is large but older then retreat cabins we have been in. You do have a dedicated bar on both, both have a concierge lounge with snacks and a concierge, QM2 does not have the dedicated pool and grill like Retreat, QM2 dining room is fabulous with exceptional service and food, Lunimae while better then the MD is nothing compared to the selection and quality of QG dining. Butler service quality ranges from good to exceptional on both depending on who your butler is. 

We are on the June 23, 2023 crossing. 

Thanks for the feedback. We’re really looking forward to both experiences.   We have definitely come to the conclusion that each cruise line will have it’s pros and cons and will be very different experiences as you mention. At first, we were definitely more excited about the Celebrity trip, but after watching a bunch of videos about the QM2 and figuring out a possible solution of getting our luggage to Southampton (so we can attend gala nights), we’re getting pretty excited about the QM2.   Thanks again. 

@Joe33472 They are both loads of fun. I have to say I was surprised how much I enjoyed the crossing on the QM2. My husband is still shocked, he thought it would be a one and done. He had crossed numerous times on the SS United States as a kid and he wanted to try and recreate that experience - of course 2022 and the 1960s are very different but it was fun. A lot of our enjoyment were the people we dinned with as we opted for a table for 6 and the people we met in the dining room who were not seated at our table and those we met while doing laps around the deck. We took bridge lessons, my husband went to a few lectures, I loved the library, we eat most of our meals including lunch and dinner in the QG,  all and all the time passed quickly despite the weather. 

Be aware that Gala night is what you make it. Many people wore nice clothes with sensible shoes, all looked lovely but very few wore gowns or anything fashion forward or head turning. Due to luggage restrictions and the burden of hauling suitcases around while touring in Europe you see a lot simple black dresses with lovely jackets that can be switched out, etc.

We are facing the luggage problem and I am still trying to wrap my brain around it as we will be coming from an expedition cruise in the arctic on SS and then some land touring. My fear is we will need a full time porter to get all the various layers and clothes hauled from one place to another, while I can roll up a couple of formal dress my husband's jacket and suit do not roll! We will also have parkas and boots which will be given to us on SS. 

Enjoy your wonderful trips ahead of you. 

• Like 2