MSC Meraviglia Questions - YC Duplex, Gym, Spa, Staff gifts

NorthernCouple

Our family is going on a 7 day cruise on the Meraviglia in July. We are very fortunate to being sailing in the Duplex Suite with the Yacht Club. We have 2 kids. I typically get up early in the morning, work out for 1-2 hrs, and then join the family for the rest of the day.

1. Is it possible to get bunk beds in the Duplex?
  2. Can you get hot breakfast options delivered to the room?
  3. How early can you get breakfast delivered?
  4. When does the gym open?
  5. When there isn't a spin class going, is there any issue using the spin bikes? I thought I saw someone say that staff wouldn't let them use the bikes outside of a class.
  6. Do the bikes have SPD clips?
  7. Does the spa still have a smoothie bar? Where can you get smoothies for kids (not just mocktails but maybe healthier options)?
  8. Is the spa 18+ or are teens allowed?
  9. Other than money, any ideas for small gifts for cruise ship staff to say thank-you? What would be valuable?

Thanks,

10 hours ago, NorthernCouple said:

Our family is going on a 7 day cruise on the Meraviglia in July. We are very fortunate to being sailing in the Duplex Suite with the Yacht Club. We have 2 kids. I typically get up early in the morning, work out for 1-2 hrs, and then join the family for the rest of the day.

1. Is it possible to get bunk beds in the Duplex?
  2. Can you get hot breakfast options delivered to the room?
  3. How early can you get breakfast delivered?
  4. When does the gym open?
  5. When there isn't a spin class going, is there any issue using the spin bikes? I thought I saw someone say that staff wouldn't let them use the bikes outside of a class.
  6. Do the bikes have SPD clips?
  7. Does the spa still have a smoothie bar? Where can you get smoothies for kids (not just mocktails but maybe healthier options)?
  8. Is the spa 18+ or are teens allowed?
  9. Other than money, any ideas for small gifts for cruise ship staff to say thank-you? What would be valuable?

Thanks,

1.no

2.yes

3.YC, so 6am or even sooner. Talk to Butler. I think the 24 hour Butler is bs.

4.8am if I remember correctly.

5.no

6. no

7.no

8. Yes and no. To use hot tub and stuff it's 18. To get a Mani or a treatment then yes.

9. It's always money. They have been cracking down on gifts.

The above answers came from my sailing 7 weeks ago.

I sail again on Mera in 2 days.

Edited by mscdivina2016
  • Like 1

Thank-you for your responses.

Definitely disappointing to hear such a late open time to the gym - impacts my planning for family time. Also a shame to hear about the spin bikes - kinda ridiculous and a waste. Without clips, I'm not eager to even sign up for a class. Think the butler can put a spin bike in our cabin? 🤣

I presume that I could use the running track at 6am? or is this somehow closed too?

Maybe the gym will open at 7 already, otherwise the running track is your thing.  Never closed. 

Like on many other cruises lines the spin bikes are put away when no spinning is going on to use the space for other classes. Zero chance to use them. 

1 hour ago, NorthernCouple said:

Thank-you for your responses.

Definitely disappointing to hear such a late open time to the gym - impacts my planning for family time. Also a shame to hear about the spin bikes - kinda ridiculous and a waste. Without clips, I'm not eager to even sign up for a class. Think the butler can put a spin bike in our cabin? 🤣

I presume that I could use the running track at 6am? or is this somehow closed too?

It's not a running track.  It's a walking track.  I believe it's a power walking track that they call it.

I can't remember if it's on Mera or seaview that that had wind dividers that made you walk in and out and around.

NO running track, per se.  There will be lots of walkers that you will have to dodge.  

I never would have guessed that it would be so hard to do a cardio workout between 6 and 7am. Makes me wonder how busy the gym will be at 7am.

It would be nice if they put at least 1 spin bike out in the main workout area.

Has anyone done the 7am Sunrise Stretching? Worth it?

What is the story on "No crew gifts allowed."? How did this go wrong? I'm sure there is a reason.

2 hours ago, NorthernCouple said:

What is the story on "No crew gifts allowed."? How did this go wrong? I'm sure there is a reason.

Small crew cabins, useless junk to them when flying home. All about space.  There was also mention about food items as well and keeping it in the cabins.

It was asked on boarding day in topsail waiting for rooms to be available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Gifts? Give the CASH.  It’s just as good as money. Easy to store, everyone likes it. 

Certainly, you are correct, but it lacks personal gratitude. I think about the Japanese tradition - Omiyage where you give something to show true appreciation.

"Omiyage is an important part of gift-giving culture for those who like to travel. Translated, the word means ‘local product’, and involves bringing back locally purchased items and souvenirs for your friends and family from the places you’ve visited. This is partly why localized items are so popular in Japan – uniquely flavored KitKats for every Japanese prefecture, for instance. 

Omiyage is not exactly the same as a typical souvenir though. Omiyage is solely bought for others"

25 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Small crew cabins, useless junk to them when flying home. All about space.  There was also mention about food items as well and keeping it in the cabins.

It was asked on boarding day in topsail waiting for rooms to be available.

This makes sense. I feel like there should be a genuine way to show appreciation beyond just money. It would be interesting to know if MSC has an employee feedback program where they get benefits if customers write something.

Edited by NorthernCouple

This makes sense. I feel like there should be a genuine way to show appreciation beyond just money. It would be interesting to know if MSC has an employee feedback program where they get benefits if customers write something.

Make sure you get the names of outstanding employees' names.  Make sure to put their names in the survey you will get an invitation to completed when you are back.  Gives them a reward of some extra time off and the chance for department employee of the month (with a cash reward). 

They appreciate money and recognition.  Recognition truly helps them in their career.  There will be many outstanding staff members who you will encounter.  Sometimes only once in a sailing.  A great hint I got here on CC was to take a photo (make sure you get their name tag in the picture) so you can remember those crew members who went above and beyond to make your cruise special.  On our last sailing, it was the omelet cook and a bartender that provided amazing service.  These two were in addition to our room steward and servers, whom we also thanked via the survey and extra tips.  

• Like 1

I had no issues running in the morning (7am) on the Mera track - there are separate walk and run paths. It is better than a treadmill to me, but if the ship is rocking I find it difficult to do much more than power walk.

PM

42 minutes ago, PammyMouse said:

I had no issues running in the morning (7am) on the Mera track - there are separate walk and run paths. It is better than a treadmill to me, but if the ship is rocking I find it difficult to do much more than power walk.

PM

Well, I am not a fast runner. Perhaps, they will think that I am power walking.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:09 PM, NorthernCouple said:

Makes me wonder how busy the gym will be at 7am.

Totally empty. In Europe at least, maybe in the Caribbean there are more guests interested in sports at this time. 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, NorthernCouple said:

It would be interesting to know if MSC has an employee feedback program where they get benefits if customers write something.

At least before Covid the feedback forms had a big impact on the salary of the room stewards and waiters.