Underground Naples

Mickey22

There are two different underground tours, Napoli Sotterranea on Via dei Tribunali (1.8 km/1.1 miles on foot from the cruise port) or the Galleria Borbonica (1.3 km/0.8 miles from the cruise port).

I've only been to the first one (several times) and always found it fascinating.

Sorrerranea:  Home - Napoli Sotterranea

Borbonica:  Home Page - Galleria Borbonica - Bourbon Tunnel - Napoli sotterranea

On 3/10/2023 at 2:15 AM, steamboats said:

We once did the Napoli Sotterranea. You can see some impressions here.

steamboats

When I did the tour about 10 years ago, they took you also to see the (now underground) remains of the Greek theatre where Nero supposedly performed. Is that still part of the tour?

Also, can you explain about the plants with the lights?  Those weren't there when I did the tour.

I did this Naples Underground Tour in 2016 on a port visit to Naples.

https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/

It was an easy walk to the starting point from the dock and did a tour at 10.00am in English. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and thought it was one of the best and inexpensive tours we have ever done. Just bear in mind that some of the tunnels are low and narrow and would not be good for anyone who is claustrophobic.

6 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Just bear in mind that some of the tunnels are low and narrow and would not be good for anyone who is claustrophobic.

Good point. I am mildly claustrophobic and there was one narrow tunnel that I just waited outside (the group went in and came back to the same place, so not a problem...)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 2:07 PM, LGinPA said:

Did you get cold enough to need a sweater or jacket? 

You may want to take a light jacket with you. There´s a constant temperature of 16/17°C (61/62°F) and a humidity of 95% down there.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BCHappyGal said:

Could someone that has done this from the port please give detailed instructions on how to get to the starting point... I found the directions given on teh web site very confusing,,,

Go to the end of their website and there it´s says on the left side "it´s easy to find us". Click on the address and google maps is showing up. We walked the main road along the shore (to the left from the port facing the city) and then turned left into the town and made our way through the little streets up.

steamboats

The route that google maps gives you is the most efficient but I find it kind of dull.  I would expend a few extra steps and go first to Gesu Nuovo, then continue along what is known as "Spaccanapoli"  to Via Gregorio Armeno, known as "Christmas Alley".  At the next block, Via Tribunali, turn left and the entrance to Sotterranea will be a few steps on your right.

Note that this walk is slightly uphill much of the way, but it's a nice gentle downhill on the way back to the ship.

So, start a google map at the cruise port (Molo Angioino), then add stops at Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo, Piazza del Gesù Nuovo, 2, 80134 Napoli NA, Italy, Via S. Gregorio Armeno, 14-52, and finally Decumani, 80138 Naples, Metropolitan City of Naples, Italy for the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 7:44 AM, euro cruiser said:

The route that google maps gives you is the most efficient but I find it kind of dull.  I would expend a few extra steps and go first to Gesu Nuovo, then continue along what is known as "Spaccanapoli"  to Via Gregorio Armeno, known as "Christmas Alley".  At the next block, Via Tribunali, turn left and the entrance to Sotterranea will be a few steps on your right.

Note that this walk is slightly uphill much of the way, but it's a nice gentle downhill on the way back to the ship.

So, start a google map at the cruise port (Molo Angioino), then add stops at Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo, Piazza del Gesù Nuovo, 2, 80134 Napoli NA, Italy, Via S. Gregorio Armeno, 14-52, and finally Decumani, 80138 Naples, Metropolitan City of Naples, Italy for the entrance.

Thank you that is helpful... and I would love to tour the street with the Christmas shops again...

However think this may have to wait a cruise as a good friend has organized a full day tour out of Naples for us...