Gondola rides in Venice

Any suggestions on where to go for a good gondola ride? And what can I expect to pay for my DH and I? I am sure they are like taxi cabs here in NYC and are probably everywhere but I was just wondering if some are better than others.

Gondola rides are expenive but the cost can usually be shared for up to 3 couples making it a much better buy. Actually there are water taxis which are motor boats which are more like NY taxis. A Gondola ride is more like a horse carriage ride in Central Park. Here is a great web site with lots of information on Venice. Check under the transportation link for a good article on gondola rides.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great next cruise.

My wife and I with our 2 children took a gondola ride on a Sunday afternoon back in July. There was a station not more than a five minute walk from St. Mark's. They started with 100 Euros for a 40 minute ride, but my wife said "too much". She offered 80 and he snapped it up. Whatever the cost, worth every last Euro for the experience and the memory!! You must do it!

There are several locations to find the Gondolas... and one is just to the right of St Marks square (facing the water) where you will find many Gondolas looking for business. Its negotiable for the standard ride of about 40 minutes. We like to take a bottle of wine and most of Gondolas have cups.

Hank

At sunset, get a glass of prosecco/champagne at one of the hotel terrace restaurants along the Grand Canal across from Della Salute church (near San Marco). (Europa e Regina, Gritti Palace, Monaco and Grand Canal have lovely terraces.) You have a breathtaking view as the sun sets--you hear the bells from Della Salute, watch as gondolas spill into the grand canal (since everyone wants a gondola ride at sunset), hear gondoliers singing--indescribable, absolutely breathtaking. Worth doing even if you do take a gondola ride!

At sunset, get a glass of prosecco/champagne at one of the hotel terrace restaurants along the Grand Canal across from Della Salute church (near San Marco). (Europa e Regina, Gritti Palace, Monaco and Grand Canal have lovely terraces.) You have a breathtaking view as the sun sets--you hear the bells from Della Salute, watch as gondolas spill into the grand canal (since everyone wants a gondola ride at sunset), hear gondoliers singing--indescribable, absolutely breathtaking. Worth doing even if you do take a gondola ride!

Oh, stop it... we stayed at the Europa and had that view every night...you're making me Venice sick :).

Last year my ship was charging $131 per person for an evening gondola ride. 4 Of us took an afternoon ride on our own for 100 Euros plus gratuity. I believe that the gondola holds 5-6 people. It is much better to go on your own versus the ships excursion.

A perfect souvenir to bring home is the calendar with photos of the cutest gondoliers -one for each month. You'll find them in most of the souvenir shops or newspaper kiosks. Maybe you can buy it beforehand and have your "driver" sign it.

Gondola rides are much more romantic if it is just for two ..leave your shipmates behind and really have a treat.

Also, 4get the ship tour..just negotiate a price on your own..as they are evrywhere you won't have trouble finding one.. would go behind St. marks square ( standing in center of it with your back to the water go to the back left corner and walk that way a bit.. there is the "back gondola stop there, in front of a hotel which is lovely by the way ( and a Best western-of all things)... you may get a better price from one there than one in front of Hotel Danieli or Gritti palace ). And hopefully he will sing for you!;)

Claudia... Great advice with which we absolutely agree. A few years ago we were in Venice on a Grand Princess cruise where they were selling a gondola tour for about $100 pp. They said the tour included singing. Later that day my wife and I hired a gondola for about $80 total, and had a very romantic 45 min ride through the various waterways. As we rounded one of the corners in the canals (I love the way the Gondoleers cry-out as they turn blind corners) we saw one of the tours from our ship. There were about 6 gondolas close together,,, each one containing 4 - 6 people. One of the gondolas had a singer that was entertaining the mass group of boats. We cruised by this hoard while sipping our wine and were very happy we didn't go for the cattle tour. I guess its just a matter of personal tastes. Some travelers like to be in large groups while others (my wife and I) prefer the privacy and freedom of doing our own thing.

Hank

DH and I were just in Venice and we paid 80 euro for our ride. There is a gondola stop at the end of San Marco Square with people and gondolas lined up. We didn't take that one because we felt it was too crowded....gondolas coming and going, passing each other in the canals...kind of like rush hour traffic. There are gondoliers everywhere and we ended up using one elsewhere. At first he said the price was 60 euro, but when I asked him about singing he said "60 for the ride...and 20 for the singing". So it ended up costing the same amount as it would if we had taken the gondola from San Marcos Square but less crowded. Try to avoid taking one on the Grand Canal....again...traffic.

We were in Venice a couple of years ago and the prices started at €100 but after walking away the gondolier actually ran after us and offered us the price of €60! There were 4 of us. I don't know how long the ride would have been though.

Archived