Do you pay gratuities before or at the end of your cruise?

Sigyn

38 minutes ago, George C said:

I rather just pay at the end , why have them hold your money for a few months . We also always tip in person .

These comments always interest me. How is it going to have any significant financial implication by them holding ~$225* for a few months?  Even at a generous 4% interest in a money market or something, those 3 months equal $2.25

* $16.00 per day double occupancy 7 nights

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I prepay. 
I like to have as much behind me as possible. 

Since I have 2 cabins and 6 total people, I always prepay to keep the daily bills cleaner, so errors are much easier to spot (I have had to fix 1-2 mis-bills over my cruises)...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SNemeth said:

Just curious how you handle it.  Say you have bad service in the MDR so you want to take the tip off for that service.  How do you handle tipping everybody else that was not part of your bad service experience?  Seems unfair to remove tips for those behind the scenes who had nothing to do with a specific bad experience.  

Cash. Cash to those I want to tip. Zero to those I don't.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

These comments always interest me. How is it going to have any significant financial implication by them holding ~$225* for a few months?  Even at a generous 4% interest in a money market or something, those 3 months equal $2.25

You never know what can happen in your life where you need every spare cent of cash. Plus it's my money. Why tip in advance for service I still have not received. Do you tip first in a restaurant then look at the menu? I'm not there to supplement their salaries. It's just a tip to some. Not part of the fare. Not part of the contract between employer and employee. I'm not part of that deal and do not see it as my problem or responsibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If it was just one cruise, then I would tend to agree with you that it's fairly insignificant.  But over numerous cruises (and other instances of delaying paying for things as long as possible), it adds up.

Along the same lines, I always get a kick out of people thinking that getting an income tax refund is a good thing.  In reality, it's best to owe income tax (provided that you haven't incurred a penalty, of course).

• Like 1

I prepay and bring cash for extra tips.  I see this as part of the cost of cruising and I am not going to remove $20 bucks a day.  Well, I have never had such a low service level to consider it in almost 20 cruises. I use OBC for "splurges" like a bottle of wine at dinner. It's just easier for me to start with a zero account or one with cash waiting. It's really an individual choice. I have no idea if you can remove the tip once it's prepaid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

You never know what can happen in your life where you need every spare cent of cash. Plus it's my money. Why tip in advance for service I still have not received. Do you tip first in a restaurant then look at the menu? I'm not there to supplement their salaries. It's just a tip to some. Not part of the fare. Not part of the contract between employer and employee. I'm not part of that deal and do not see it as my problem or responsibility.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

If it was just one cruise, then I would tend to agree with you that it's fairly insignificant.  But over numerous cruises (and other instances of delaying paying for things as long as possible), it adds up.

Along the same lines, I always get a kick out of people thinking that getting an income tax refund is a good thing.  In reality, it's best to owe income tax (provided that you haven't incurred a penalty, of course).

Pay them ahead or onboard, doesn't matter to me one tiny bit.  I agree that it limits you if you prepay.  If something justifies their removal, your stuck.  Understandable.

However, what I do find interesting is that folks spend several $1000's on a cruise or multiple cruises and specifically say the rationale for not paying them early is the monetary value of not doing so.  If you are paying them regardless, is a 3 month delay making or breaking you financially?  Personally I wouldn't be booking cruises if it make a significant difference.  I wouldn't cruise if my discretionary spending was that tight.  Just me though.

Until I have evidence that service doesn't justify the gratuities, I'll continue to pay them ahead.  It's just not something I want to think about while on the cruise.  So far, we are batting 1000% with good service.  I have no reason to think it's going to be otherwise.  (Now I probably just jinxed us🤪)

@Ryder101, from the other tipping thread I know you remove gratuities right away once you board, so obviously this is a moot point for you.  Prepaying obviously isn't in your modus operandi.

It's a whole 'nother topic if you aren't going to pay gratuities anyway, or cancel them in lieu of giving them cash instead.

10 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If you are paying them regardless, is a 3 month delay making or breaking you financially?

Lol no, it doesn't break me financially.  Not even close.  But delaying payment does benefit me financially, which is something I like.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Lol no, it doesn't break me financially.  Not even close.  But it does benefit me financially, which is something I like.

After about 5+ cruises you might finally be able to purchase a drink onboard with what you saved financially.  The magnitude of the financial benefit is just so low, that's my point.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

30 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Pay them ahead or onboard, doesn't matter to me one tiny bit.  I agree that it limits you if you prepay.  If something justifies their removal, your stuck.  Understandable.

However, what I do find interesting is that folks spend several $1000's on a cruise or multiple cruises and specifically say the rationale for not paying them early is the monetary value of not doing so.  If you are paying them regardless, is a 3 month delay making or breaking you financially?  Personally I wouldn't be booking cruises if it make a significant difference.  I wouldn't cruise if my discretionary spending was that tight.  Just me though.

Until I have evidence that service doesn't justify the gratuities, I'll continue to pay them ahead.  It's just not something I want to think about while on the cruise.  So far, we are batting 1000% with good service.  I have no reason to think it's going to be otherwise.  (Now I probably just jinxed us🤪)

@Ryder101, from the other tipping thread I know you remove gratuities right away once you board, so obviously this is a moot point for you.  Prepaying obviously isn't in your modus operandi.

It's a whole 'nother topic if you aren't going to pay gratuities anyway, or cancel them in lieu of giving them cash instead.

Only thing I take issue with is last paragraph. Please don't lump not paying gratuities in same paragraph with tipping cash. Not tipping at all is nothing like tipping cash. Too many people lump them in same breath.

2 minutes ago, Ryder101 said:

Only thing I take issue with is last paragraph. Please don't lump not paying gratuities in same paragraph with tipping cash. Not tipping at all is nothing like tipping cash. Too many people lump them in same breath.

You’re right.  I should have separated that into individual topics 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Cheers.  Happy cruising.  I don't want to come across like an ahole so I'll move on.  The logical side of my brain struggles with some of these comments, but the fun emotional side says... who the heck cares.  🙂  

Agreed. The logic in some of these comments sometimes eludes me also.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I have always been in the habit of delaying payment on things that mean giving my money in advance when I don't have to. To the IRS, to cruise companies, to whomever it is. There's no reason in giving away $2.25 if I don't have to. It's a paltry sum, but if they're getting that from everyone, it adds up for them. I try to not add to their coffers any more than I have to, and keep it in mine as long as I can. Perhaps that's why my husband and I will be retiring young(ish).

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, time4u2go said:

Good point.  I always wait and pay it as it accumulates daily.  No sense letting them hold my money before they have to.

I agree, kinda!  I do prepay but I wait until the last possible minute to pay in full, the 90-day out mark.  I just don't like a large bill upon debarkation day, no surprises.  My onboard account is usually very very low when I cruise in a balcony cabin, I prepay for just about everything.  

• Like 1