Live from NOLA and NCL Breakaway - 3/12 thru 3/19 😀⚓️🕖☘️🍸

CTCruiser001

2 hours ago, gaabbee said:

Great review so far. I’ll be boarding on Sunday! We did the haven spa suite so it’s nice to get familiar before hand. I’ll leave this here as an ex server on the POA tipping extra is super rare. We did get a portion of the added gratuities but then some were also kept for crew “enhancements”. We would get discounted drinks or crew parties etc.

A lot of these people work their butts off and make decent money. They also live in a lot lower cost of living areas. I remember one lady would tell her guests she had 3 kids back home that she would see every 8 months. She would however forget to mention that she bought them all houses and cars from working there. Again some of the hard workers deserve to be compensated above and beyond and those are the ones I focus on. 

disclaimer POA was the highest compensated ship in the fleet. 

On my last cruise, my cabin steward told me that he spends 3 months in a row on the ship, because the money was so good. He also said, he had 2 daughters, and he put them both through college, working for NCL!!!

Edited by Topdog52
  • Like 2

CTCruiser001

When you attend a show in the main theater, whether  it is by reservation or first come .. first seated, do you just show up there and find/go to the seats that say "Haven" on them?

Once again a big thanks for all your hard work on the postings you have done. Only 1 week and one day till I give it a try!

Molokai-Chuck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Molokai-Chuck said:

CTCruiser001

When you attend a show in the main theater, whether  it is by reservation or first come .. first seated, do you just show up there and find/go to the seats that say "Haven" on them?

Once again a big thanks for all your hard work on the postings you have done. Only 1 week and one day till I give it a try!

Molokai-Chuck

There isn't a Haven section in the theater that I'm aware of.

Omar will help you get in early to select your seat of choice. On the 1st day he hands out a form which you can check off what you want. It shows the dates and times for both 'Six' and 'Burn the Floor'. We received the form before embarking...So pay attention to his speech at in the waiting room if you're among the first few to be brought on board. Otherwise, inquire at his desk. 

1 hour ago, freebirds80 said:

Looking at the Dailies, I noticed it mentions not bringing beverages back aboard. Do they not allow you to buy liquor and retrieve them on the last day of the cruise, anymore?

You are certainly able to return to ship with purchased and sealed beverages. If they see these, they may be tagged and you'll have to retrieve them the last evening. 

11 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Everything was just okay...Fleetwide, the Italian restaurant seems to be where Norwegian swings and misses for us - We have never had a memorable meal here.

That is the way I felt about La Cucina until a couple of cruises ago. I tried the Osso Buccco, which was melt-in-your mouth delicious. Recently they changed from a veal shank to a lamb shank which is still excellent. They have also brought back lasagna which is some of the best I have had anywhere.

In May we will be on Encore, which has Onda rather than La Cucina. The Onda menu does not have lasagna or Osso Bucco and I am afraid that I will go back to being disappointed with their Italian offerings. BTW I'm really enjoying your review.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, freebirds80 said:

Looking at the Dailies, I noticed it mentions not bringing beverages back aboard. Do they not allow you to buy liquor and retrieve them on the last day of the cruise, anymore?

I bought some Tequilla for a gift in Cozumel day six of seven day cruise.  They looked at the bottle and allowed me to bring it on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is POA staffed by US citizens and all crew are union?

When I worked for American Hawaii Cruises, the ships in Hawaii were all American crew and union.  I worked in Tahiti, we started out will all American crew, no union.  American Hawaii didn't seem to know that if the ship has a foreign flag, it does NOT need to have an American crew--they learned the hard way.  It was great for the first 8 months I was on the ship--then they started to bring in the indonesian crew--started serving fish heads and lots of rice in the crew buffet--they then allowed the American crew to eat at the regular buffet!  We were paid $60/day/plus tips/plus bonus.  The Indonesian crew was paid $10/month/plus tips/no bonus.  We were not brought back at the end of our leave, as all the Americans were replaced with Indonesians.  American Hawaii ended up losing the ssLiberte in less than a year of its deployment and they soon went belly up.  NCL bought the Indy and the Coni--the Liberte was seized in San Francisco when it arrived there for dry dock (this was a couple of months after I left the ship)  I loved working on the ship and considered it one of my best jobs!  I love cruising even more!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Day 7...Kim has been replaced by Michelle. This happened yesterday too. Hope they didn't throw Kim overboard. 🫨😵💫😵

Maybe Kim is getting ready to go on vacation tomrrow.  Lots and lots of stuff that has to be checked off a list and get done before you can finally sign-off, get in a long line and finally head to the airport and home.

• Like 1