Feeling curious. Anyone have baggage weight problems from wet clothing?

eyern1

A thought just crossed my wandering mind. Has anyone, oh look, squirrel, had a problem with their baggage weight being over 50# for the return flight due to clothing being wet?  I imagine many are packed close to 50# when heading out but since Alaska is so rainy, you could get caught with very wet jeans or other clothes near the end of the cruise, with no way to dry them before your fight home. Anybody have any good stories to tell involving this?

5 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Nope.  The ships have dryers on board and they will probably not be too busy the night before arrival.  I would rather leave wet clothes on the ship than have them in my luggage. 

I haven't run into many ships with self service laundry and the ones where you can leave things for the crew to do usually aren't at the end of the cruise.  Hmmm. Yes, packing wet clothing in your luggage would present many challenges that you might just avoid by throwing items away.

I can’t imagine this to be a problem on an Alaska cruise.  It could be an issue on a land tour.  We always take a rain jacket and rain pants that roll up into a small bag for easy carrying and packing.  This outer layer of clothing will also act as a cold weather wind break on excursions.  

17 hours ago, eyern1 said:

I haven't run into many ships with self service laundry and the ones where you can leave things for the crew to do usually aren't at the end of the cruise.  Hmmm. Yes, packing wet clothing in your luggage would present many challenges that you might just avoid by throwing items away.

Princess has them on all of their ships.

• Like 1

You can always wear quick-drying clothes.  I like Columbia but Amazon has some good inexpensive clothing as well.  I dress in layers in Alaska but only wear merino wool as my first layer so the clothes that get wet are usually made of quick drying material.  In fact, I don’t even pack jeans anymore on an Alaskan trip.  Buy water proof shoes or water proof with a spray to make sure your socks and shoes stay dry.  I’ve found that wet shoes are the hardest to dry on a cruise.

All Princess ships as noted above do have self-serve laundries.  Almost all of the ships I’ve been on also have cloth lines in the bathroom where you can hang wet clothes.

I also don’t like to travel with damp clothing which is why I always carry wet bags for damp socks, swimsuits, etc.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093XMHDZ7/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=3b483ac410576a1220d0e33ffc7e9329&content-id=amzn1.sym.7dd77237-72be-4809-b5b5-d553eab7ad9d%3Aamzn1.sym.7dd77237-72be-4809-b5b5-d553eab7ad9d&hsa_cr_id=7541547300701&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=231b39bd-95bb-47f3-904c-d3634a0d7d57&pd_rd_w=7ulwJ&pd_rd_wg=Fk7Aj&qid=1678643588&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title&sr=1-1-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124

Packable waterproof pants and/or quick dry hiking pants are definitely top of my packing list for Alaska. I also have 3in1 coat so I can switch between warm&waterproof/waterproof alone/warm alone between the various weather changes. 
I got waterproof pants that are super light and pack down to about the size of a lemon that I will use over jeans if I wear them, or as a wind proof layer over the hiking pants. 
if you find a restroom with a hand dryer or hair dryer you can partially blow dry anything that’s completely saturated. I had to do this after a rugby match when I was travelling home later that day, the queue for the handryer in the hotel restroom was lengthy that day. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. We have driven to all of our other cruises except one and that was back when the airlines weren't penny pinching everyone to death. One advantage of packing near the limit I just thought of is that you don't have the ability to bring everyone back a crappy souvenier of YOUR vacation or a bunch of t shirts lol, plus you don't have to feel guilty about it.