Duty Free Liquor? What do you buy?

What's worth buying, i.e. what's the best buy on the ship? Vodka? Cognas, Champagne?

Fortunately, We don't need Rum. We've been to a number of Caribbean resorts that put complimentary bottles of Rum in your room. We collect them. We've got bottles from the Virgin ISlands and St. Lucia. We have a bottle of Jamaican Rum that was 12 years old when it given to us, 19 years ago. One resort even put a mini-bottle of after dinner liquor on each pillow every night instead of a chocolate.

One tactic is to research the prices at the place near home where you would most often shop. Make a list of the prices of the items you prefer (or of items you aren't willing to pay local prices for), compare to ship's price and also in any ports of call. Then decide who has best price that is worth carrying the stuff back on the plane or whatever way you will use to get it home safely! Since you've travelled widely, you probably already know what the customs allowances are.

BTW, unlike many wines, Rum doesn't really improve much in the bottle--you could probably find lots of local "volunteers" to help you consume that 12+19 year-old bottle!!

Salut!

Duty Free Liquor? What do you buy?

We buy nothing.......it is not worth having to carry it from the ship,,,,in the taxi.....through the airport......on the airplanne.......throught the airport.........in the taxi........to home....:rolleyes: ......to save 50 bucks......:):rolleyes:

We usually don't buy in the ships duty free. We have always found better prices on land, St Thomas in particular.

In January we purchased 1 liter bottles of Tanquery Ten, paid $13. At the best discount liquor store near us, we would pay $36.

Remy Martin XO was $99 for a full liter, here it is $139 for 750ml.

Gran Marnier was $30 per liter. These are prices that make it worth shlepping!

In Dominica we were able to find our favorite rum, 15 yr old Demerara Rum from Guyana. We paid $25 per liter. I have never found this in the States. We were quite pleased.

A.H.Riise at Havensight will take your order and deliver to your ship. We have never had a problem with this.

Happy cruising, Kathy

We never used to buy anything - not worth flying with it - but now that Port Liberty is open, we buy Grand Marnier and the flavored rum. I make a great rum cake and like the pineapple and coconut flavors in it.

I don't buy anything on the ship...As others have said, simply not worth my schlepping bottles around just to save a few bucks...

But I DO buy stuff in port...and usually LOCAL products that I can't even find at home...like a bottle of Grappa I bought in San Gimignano Italy on a Med cruise...

And, then, much to my wife's dismay, I buy Kahlua whenever we cruise to Mexico--in port (where it's incredibly cheap), not on the ship...Of course, I don't drink all that much, so I've got an incredible inventory of Kahlua at home now...I mean, you can get the stuff for under $7 a liter in some shops in some ports!

I normally buy Grand Marnier and take a few bottles home for my dad, its about half the price then in Canada. I like to take a few bottles of Kahlua home for me. I think it cost 9.99/lt in St. Thomas last year and the Grand Marnier was 18 or 19 (I know it was under $20.00).

I was limited on the amount I could bring home to Canada last year, now that we both live in Seattle I am looking forward to bringing back more!!!:D

and then hubby stocks up on Johnny Walker Red (his drink) at the best price. Last time it was about $12 per liter in Grand Caymen, right where we got off the ship. They delivered it right to the ship, then to our room at the end of the cruise.

At home it's $25-$30 per liter.

Also FWIW, we often go a bit over the limit, declare everything at customs, and usually they wave us through.

Sheffie: Where is this place? I'm a chocoholic and love Mudslides & the fruit/choc. from Africa..Amarello? Just threw my last bottle out [empty of course!] and having a Sr. Moment. Do you remember the prices there? Have not seen the Godiva!

To kazwaz...

No, I was on the Eastern Caribbean route on the Mariner last September. Bought them on the last day, but the price was the same all week. My sister brought hers home to Coventry. We'll be doing the same this year!

Archived