Kauai Transportation

ERNLYN

We are docking in Kauai at Nawiliwili, 3150 Waapa Rd, Lihue.  Trying to find a taxi that will transport 1-4 passengers' to and from the Lihue Airport.

I have tried to call and email to get an estimate but finding virtually impossible to get an answer. Are there taxis waiting at port to hire?

Are there taxis at the airport to transport passengers to the port? 

I know there are many who have dealt with this on recent POA cruises,

I and others would surely like some input please.

Edited by ERNLYN

On 3/11/2023 at 6:13 AM, ERNLYN said:

Are there taxis waiting at port to hire? Are there taxis at the airport to transport passengers to the port?

Kauai is a tiny population island, still recovering from the Covid shutdown.

If you are wanting to go to the airport to get a rental car, I'd rent from Avis/Budget (same company, same shuttle) which sends a shuttle to the port.

The entire island of Kauai has maybe 90 taxis and maybe 70 Ubers and they are spread over the three population centers. When we were there in October of 2022, the taxi line at the port (people waiting to get taxis) was 40-60 minutes long. We walked out, got on the Avis shuttle and got our car in about 30 minutes total.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ref611 said:

Anyone have an update on the taxi, Uber and Lyft situation at the port?

Uber/Lyft wasn't great before Covid and its even worse after. Uber/Lyft outside of Honolulu in Hawaii is always difficult. I would not rely on it. Schedule a ride with a taxi ahead of time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ref611 said:

Been reading there is no shuttle to airport to pickup rental in Kaui. Anyone have recent knowledge?

In October 2022 there was an Avis/Budget shuttle and no other car companies. I am a frequent Avis customer so that was fine with me.

I can't promise it is still going, but I assume it is, and I don't know if anyone else has started sending shuttles again.

I do know cab and Uber are VERY HARD to get. The cab line was an hour or longer.

Question.

how much would it cost if I waited in line at the cruise terminal to take a taxi on a 14 minute 6 mile ride?

I contacted the taxicab company and they want to charge  $100 to reserve a taxi for a round-trip. 
from reading the posts  in this string I don’t know if I should take a chance and wait in line or just pay the money and let it be hassle free.
I am also looking into Uber and Lyft solutions.

Going to be on island April 27

I have my vacation itinerary planned this is the only one giving me agita 

thanks

E78EC185-4B5B-49B4-8096-054DE10CBF3D.jpeg

Edited by Ref611

Do you have a reservation at Kipu Ranch or are you doing something that you can show up anytime?

If you wait in line, it is probably $30, but the line is an hour long or more.

Most importantly, how do you plan to get back to the ship?

Kauai is a very small population island, only 70,000 and Lihue is only 17,000, so cabs and Ubers are very limited. When a 2,600 passenger ship shows up, it throws a monkey wrench in the works, especially since Walmart no longer runs their shuttle (or didn't in Oct 2022) and most car companies no longer tun their shuttles either. The people who used to use those, are now using Uber and taxis and it strains the capacity.

2 hours ago, Ref611 said:

I have a reservation and is $30 one way or round trip just to clarify ?

One way.

$100 round trip I would consider fair. The driver is giving up a number of quick trips to go to Kipu and come back for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BubbaJo said:

FYI- I contacted Avis on Kauai, and they said they DO still have a shuttle that goes from the cruise port to the airport rental location. 

Yes, like I said, I assumed it would still be running now if it was running in Oct. They were certainly getting enough business for Avis/Budget to justify send a shuttle for the cruise ship. I am mildly surprised the other majors have not returned sending shuttles.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:38 AM, BubbaJo said:

FYI- I contacted Avis on Kauai, and they said they DO still have a shuttle that goes from the cruise port to the airport rental location. 

Do you have to notify them or are they there already to pickup?

1 hour ago, Ref611 said:

Sorry misread requirements will host come to port

Only vendors who've gone thru all the hoops (including fees) actually get to drive into port areas as they tend to be restricted access.  However, there are several convenient meeting points within 300M.  Say the Kauai Athletic Club for instance.

Greg

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:38 AM, BubbaJo said:

Is it the same shuttle that goes to both Avis and Budget?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EDEMP said:

Is it the same shuttle that goes to both Avis and Budget?

Yes. Avis/Budget is one company that normally have separate counters and fleets. Sometimes when the franchises are owned by the same person, they will share cars as needed.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, scottca075 said:

In October 2022 there was an Avis/Budget shuttle and no other car companies. I am a frequent Avis customer so that was fine with me.

I can't promise it is still going, but I assume it is, and I don't know if anyone else has started sending shuttles again.

I do know cab and Uber are VERY HARD to get. The cab line was an hour or longer.

How long a drive is it from the port to the airport?  We will have someone with a scooter in our group, so we will want to send someone on the shuttle to pick up the car/SUV, and circle back to pick up others in our group. Trying to figure out how much extra time this will take.  Thanks!