Skagway Photography Tour

gottagoacruzn

5 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, will be on the Crown Princess, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. our stop in Skagway an have been lookin at the photography tour, was wonderin if any of you have taken this tour, an is it worth doin, any suggestions? Thanks. Virginia

Yes, we have taken this tour twice over the past 5 years.  Is it worth doing?  Depends on what you are looking to get out of the tour.  If you can provide me with an answer then I can tailor my response to your specific question.

9 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

The beauty of the land & what you see.

Ok.  What happened to us both times is that a guide met us at a designated meeting point (shown on our excursion ticket).  The group got into a van and were driven to two specific locations (guides choice of photographic locations). The guide asked the group about our photography experience and what we were using to take pictures so he/she could help us take better pictures -- some people were using cell phones, some I Pads and some DSLR cameras -- all types of camera options. Once we arrived at our first location the photographer gave us ideas on how to use our camera equipment to get the best possible shot.  He/she would walk around and check in with us to see if anyone needed help.  Some did and some didn't.  The two photographers took us to different locations:  our first trip we went to Lower Reid Falls and a river where we could capture the falls cascading and the river where an eagle had been spotted.  For our second location we went to an area where we could capture reflections of mountains in the water and then we went to a place where we were high enough so we could get a view of the White Pass train passing by and we could take a picture of that. 

I think the excursion was more of an intro to scenic photography and if you need help in how to achieve this then you might enjoy it. 

I experienced this excursion a few years ago and as a hobby photographer thought i would be taken to some scenic spots while learning some new photo tips.  First stop was a mini waterfall where we paused for about 30 minutes as the "class" learned how to use a tripod, learned about exposures, and tried shutter speeds to slow down moving water.  Next stop was to photograph a ptarmigan family, and a third stop to photograph a river.  Most of the time was teaching how camera settings, other than Auto, could be used by "class members" with their first adjustable cameras.

In my opinion, this excursion is suitable for anyone wanting to learn about their first camera, wanting to try settings other than Auto, and wanting to experience using a provided tripod.  A phone camera user would be very disappointed as would anyone already using more than Auto settings on their camera.

Here are the three photos I took on the excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway/P5100026.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ptarmigan/P5030028.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway/p9200615.jpg

@Crew News.  Agree with your comments.  For our first excursion, we used a tripod. For our second excursion, we had no access to a tripod. 

@Kay.redmann.  Unless things have changed, there will probably be people with iPhones on the tour. We don't use our phones for taking pictures so I am not familiar with the features or what the output would look like.  That being said, I think Crew News summed it up best.

So for someone that has been using a camera for like 56 years and from the sound of it could teach the course would be bored? I was hoping for them to take us to some scenic spots for some epic shots. 

1 hour ago, KYBOB said:

So for someone that has been using a camera for like 56 years and from the sound of it could teach the course would be bored? I was hoping for them to take us to some scenic spots for some epic shots. 

I think you answered your own question.